16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:13:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[146] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[59] Signage - not making it easy ...
[12] IETs at Melksham
[11] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[10] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Trip not as planned' - apparently on Crossrail between Bristol and Exeter ... ?  (Read 3229 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 10, 2017, 21:55:01 »

From the Wiltshire Gazette & Herald:

Trip not as planned

WE decided to visit Exeter to look at the cathedral and watch the Exeter v Bath rugby match. I booked train tickets in early October for the 8.40am train straight through to Exeter arriving at 10.15am.

I collected tickets a week later but no seat reservations were supplied for the outward journey but they were for the return trip.

I emailed First Great Western and was eventually told to contact them in November which I managed to do, only to discover I had tickets for a ghost train (it was not running).

In the meantime I had bought tickets for the rugby match.

After several emails I got a full refund from First Great Western. When this came through I booked travel and seats from Bristol Temple Meads to Exeter on Crossrail and Chippenham to Bristol on First Great Western although it meant an hour wait in Bristol.

That was not the end of our trip as when the Crossrail train arrived it was four coaches instead of seven or eight. Our seats were missing.

The train staff apologised but it was not their fault so we journeyed to Exeter in a overcrowded train standing in a luggage compartment. We did see the rugby match but not the cathedral.

The train back to Bristol was seven coaches and nearly empty. We should have had a 30-minute wait in Bristol but First Great Western were 15 minutes late.

I would like to add that it was cold and facilities for waiting travellers are really poor with a lack of warm waiting areas, and it has been announced that fares are going up.

ROBERT KNIGHT
Via email

I'm not quite sure where to even start, in trying to reply to that one.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 22:10:25 »

I'm not quite sure where to even start, in trying to reply to that one.  Roll Eyes

Dear Robert,

Thank you for using the train from Chippenham to Exeter.   

Can I suggest next time that you change at Westbury rather than Bristol?  The train staff on the train from Chippenham to Westbury and really great, and the cafe at Westbury is lower cost than at Bristol.  You also have lovely countryside to see, rather than Box tunnel which - if you believe everything you read - will cause real problems as trains rush through there.

Please sign up for our forum if you've any questions - I'm sure our Chris from Nailsea will be very happy to answer any question s you have about Taunton, which you pass through on the train from Westbury to Exeter.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 22:14:06 »

Crosscountry Voyager I feel their pain!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 00:37:55 »

I think you mean Crossrail voyager  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:20:42 »

Dear Robert,

Thank you for using the train from Chippenham to Exeter.   

[snip]

I have to admit to waking ever so slightly ashamed of myself.

The mantra behind this forum is to help people who are not [all that] familiar with things railway as they wrestle with the absurd puzzles of the system - and not to make any fun of them when they don't use the right company name or are disappointed at something we take for granted.    It's somewhat different when we tease back and forth amongst established members.    Yes, I know that "Robert Knight" isn't a member here - but he could be, and as we're posting in a public forum he could find the answer or be pointed here.

Robert - I hope you'll use the train again.  And please ask us if you've any questions ahead of time, report back on your journey to give us the opportunity to explain, comment, perhaps suggest for your benefit and the benefit of other readers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:37:39 »

Obviously not a regular rail user, this is why I believe the vital importance of the ticket office.

Although yesterday was not a particularly good day to travel, he might have received better advice at a
 ticket office.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:54:21 »

I agree about ticket offices, and feel Robert Knight's message deserved a much better response. The confusion about Crossrail and Cross Country is something even regular rail users could easily do, and is a symptom of our confused rail system. The ghost train is intriguing, but I have myself booked tickets in advance and then later found that the train I'm booked on didn't exist, so isn't completely unknown. His points about lack of carriages leading to overcrowding, and about freezing platforms with nowhere warm to wait are well made, and no doubt experienced by most of us at times (finding somewhere warm to wait on Temple Meads is incredibly difficult even for those of us who use it often).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: