21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:17:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Closest miss yet?  (Read 2080 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 13, 2017, 18:06:52 »

15:29 from Swansea, due to call Swindon at 17:28. 
17:36 connection recommended by GWR (Great Western Railway) for Westbury.

Swansea train pulls in to platform at 17:39 (according to Real Time Trains) and Westbury leaves at 17:40 (according to real time trains

Swansea pulls in and draws to a halt.  Doors slow to release, Westbury starts to move out once station throat is clear and before anyone can dash across ...

-- signed - frustrated at Swindon

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 20:29:24 »

For those who don't know the layout at Swindon that should be a cross-platform connection - no stairs or lifts involved.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 07:19:50 »

For those who don't know the layout at Swindon that should be a cross-platform connection - no stairs or lifts involved.

Less than 10 seconds from being release from the train at Platform 3 across to the departing train - admittedly at the very front - of platform 2.

Real Time Trains shows the 17:36 leaving 4 minutes late anyway ... not making that up but rather dropping another couple of minutes on the run to Westbury.  Hints from the RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) log suggest that the further loss would have been due to intermediate station calls lasting longer than scheduled due to numbers getting on and off through the end doors of a 153, and perhaps jamming just inside the carriage as people pick there way around others standing, or ask people to move up.

No onward connections from Westbury were compromised, and the return trip of unit started on time from Westbury; we know Swindon have advised holds based on main line connections for Gloucester trains and perhaps there's a case of having 5 minutes on some of the Westburies.  To be fair, that's more important to connect from London trains than from South Wales, though passenger survey data does show a noticeable connectional flow.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 07:51:49 »

Seen it happen numerous times at Maidenhead when the Marlow train ( not that it runs these days!) pulls out just as a connection from London/Reading pulls in.....in the latter case it's probably less than 10 seconds to transfer.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 08:03:16 »

Seen it happen numerous times at Maidenhead when the Marlow train ( not that it runs these days!) pulls out just as a connection from London/Reading pulls in.....in the latter case it's probably less than 10 seconds to transfer.

Perhaps there's a case in future franchises for performance to be measured on total rail journey time - from entering the station precinct at your departing station to leaving your final station.   That's not only re-balancing the connectional times / compromises which we know are sometimes necessary and result in tough decisions, but also looking at gateline speed and ticket purchase times.

Passenger speed through stations was another topic mention at last week's Stakeholder briefing.  I noted:
Retail - expanding EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) and smart pilot on Severn Beach. More to come in 12 to 198 months - "radical".
Railway has histotically put spped of train - minutes saves. Needed now for ticketing and planned
Regular readers will appreciate that my smelling is not good at the best of times, and notes taken direct onto a laptop in meetings / presentations are even worse; I reproduce those comments here from my typing of what Mr Hopwood was saying; they gain from not being stored in paper notes and then going through an extra level of interpretation later but they loose from being riddled with schoolboy errors.  I'm sure that should de 12 to 18 months rather than 12 to 198, for example.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 08:07:57 »

No onward connections from Westbury were compromised, and the return trip of unit started on time from Westbury; we know Swindon have advised holds based on main line connections for Gloucester trains and perhaps there's a case of having 5 minutes on some of the Westburies.  To be fair, that's more important to connect from London trains than from South Wales, though passenger survey data does show a noticeable connectional flow.

Connections out of slightly late running trains from London tend to be held simply because it isn't usually sensible to let the 75mph Westbury unit run just in front of a 125mph HST (High Speed Train)/IET (Intercity Express Train) all the way to Wootton Bassett or Thingley junctions.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:57:06 »

Regular readers will appreciate that my smelling is not good at the best of times, and notes taken direct onto a laptop in meetings / presentations are even worse; I reproduce those comments here from my typing of what Mr Hopwood was saying; they gain from not being stored in paper notes and then going through an extra level of interpretation later but they loose from being riddled with schoolboy errors.  I'm sure that should de 12 to 18 months rather than 12 to 198, for example.

[/quote]
Really?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 09:10:41 »

Regular readers will appreciate that my smelling is not good at the best of times

Really?

Intentional error  Grin

The personal truth is that I do sometimes give off an air that's not quite as pure as I might wish it to be (high metabolism rate is the excuse) but that's rather taking us off topic.

devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 17:53:13 »

Happens all the time at Newton Abbot, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train pulls in and GWR (Great Western Railway) Paignton service leaves, meaning people for Torre, Torquay & Paignton, have to wait 45 mins, sometimes over an hour, depending on timetables.  Half of the time its easier just get off and then go outside and use Hop12 instead.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: