Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:32:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: SandTEngineers Spot the Railway Location Photograph Quiz  (Read 28842 times)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2018, 17:25:46 »

Is that a young ET waiting to "cab" 1450?

OTC
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2018, 18:18:55 »

Is that a young ET waiting to "cab" 1450?

OTC

No  Grin

I was able to watch the engines working from my bedroom window ...................... not so many trees in the 60 / 70 as now

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2018, 21:35:52 »

Marlow?

(From lamps and building)

OTC
No.19 - Correct
Photograph taken on 15 July 1973.  This was the centenary celebration day for the Marlow branch.  Looking towards the buffer stops at the 'new' Marlow station.  This Marlow station was built on the site of the old goods yard and the old station site to the East (behind the trees) was converted into sidings for the adjacent wood mill.  The train consisted of two GWR (Great Western Railway) Auto-coaches and 14XX class tank locomotive No.1450.  It was running a shuttle service between Marlow and Bourne End stations.  It was a very wet day......

You can see some further photographs of the event here http://www.mdrs.org.uk/wycmaidmarlow.htm#1960s
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 21:41:33 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2018, 21:37:29 »

No.20 (and the last for now - I need to do some more scanning Tongue )

Image (c)2018 SandTEngineer
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2018, 21:52:21 »

That's not even a station!  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2018, 21:59:38 »

No.20 (and the last for now - I need to do some more scanning Tongue )

Something about that looks so familiar - but it could just be that it's a location I've seen in a book somewhere.

Have really enjoyed the series ... thank you and look forward to seeing more after a break!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Merthyr Imp

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2018, 22:02:53 »

Norton Junction near Worcester?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2018, 22:21:42 »

Hawkeridge Junction?

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2018, 22:35:45 »

Agreed, throughly enjoyed these photos - even if it has reinforced my long held theory that I was born 10-15 years too late!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2018, 22:46:12 »

Hawkeridge Junction?

Yes - just got that too. Is the East Loop (going off to the right) the newest bit of track in these pictures?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2018, 23:24:22 »

Agreed, throughly enjoyed these photos - even if it has reinforced my long held theory that I was born 10-15 years too late!

Yes: following this topic, I somehow wish I had been there, when that infrastructure was there - and still being used.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2018, 08:07:47 »

Something about that looks so familiar - but it could just be that it's a location I've seen in a book somewhere.

Hawkeridge Junction?

I really should have got that shouldn't I?    Travel through there pretty darned frequently.

The loop only dates back to 1942 - a wartime connection; railway infrastructure for the war in the (TransWilts) area also included a magnificent array of sidings at Lacock and a curve that changes Thingley junction into a triangle.

The Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads service that ran for three years earlier in this decade was scheduled over the curve as an experimental service, but didn't generate a great deal of extra traffic and was withdrawn just prior to it reaching an age at which it would have ceased to be experimental, and a formal closure procedure would have been needed to withdraw it at a future date.  The daily through train in the opposite direction runs via Westbury platforms where it reversed - the early hour of the service putting many people off.   Incidentally, it is the only passenger carrying service of the day that run though Bath Spa station without stopping.

The curve is still used for engineering diversions, which are frequent enough for it to be an easily collectable line for people who look to travel on such.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2018, 18:14:46 »

Hawkeridge Junction?
No.20 - Correct
Photograph taken in 1970.  Hawkeridge Junction looking towards Trowbridge (Westbury station to rear).  Hawkeridge signalbox opened on 14 July 1942 with, as Grahame has quoted above, the East Loop to Heywood Road Junction off to the right.  To the left after the overbridge a War Department Cold Store was constructed during WW2 and a new loop and sidings were installed as part of the work and opened in November 1943.  You can see another two examples of the 1942 type bracket signal installed as part of that work, first discussed as part of the Westbury North photograph above (although by the time of the photograph the left hand signal had its bracket changed to a standard WR type).  Hawkeridge signalbox closed on 11 May 1984 and the area was subsequently controlled by Westbury panel.

Thats all for now, folks and as the old song goes "......be back soon".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 16:45:49 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2018, 16:34:36 »

Just a quick addition.  A copy of the 1943 Hawkeridge signalling layout can be downloaded from the Signalling Record Society site here: https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwb/S393-2h.pdf
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2018, 18:35:48 »

Just a quick addition.  A copy of the 1943 Hawkeridge signalling layout can be downloaded from the Signalling Record Society site here: https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwb/S393-2h.pdf
Thanks for that. A nicely complex layout with several facing routes, approach locking and a Warning Arrangement into Westbury. I bet it was an interesting and enjoyable 'box to work. On a technical note - and rather too technical for the group so please PM me the answer if you have one - how was disk 27 approach locked?

Many thanks for these photographs, and the diagram. I have greatly enjoyed them.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: