Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
19:05 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
16:18 London Paddington to Swansea
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 18:16:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[197] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[49] Signage - not making it easy ...
[24] IETs at Melksham
[22] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[20] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[19] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Name for new station  (Read 4939 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 13:28:08 »

Slough -John Betjeman ...................... Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!  Grin

Although I think he would prefer St Pancras to be named after him

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 16:37:01 »

I came up with some possibilities:

Xxxxxx Daley
Xxxxxx Cleese
Xxxxxx Hooker
Xxxxxx Dors
Xxxxxx Park
Xxxxxx Shrapnel
Xxxxxx Kyle
Xxxxxx Pitman
Xxxxxx Zeta-Jones
Xxxxxx Button

Can you identify the towns that might thus celebrate their son or daughter

Weston-super-Mare Cleese
Frome Button.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 22:25:38 »

Telford Central.  The town was named after the engineer, and the station was named after the town.
But Milton Keynes was already a village before the New Town was built, so was named after neither the poet nor the economist.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 19:56:49 »

Said to come from Padda's Ton, in the same way as it was Didda's Cot.

Liverpool Street Station is named after Lord Liverpool indirectly - the street having been given that name not long after his death.

But heroes? I'm not sure Lord Liverpool counts, and with people named for places (and vice versa) it's often hard to tell what came first. A typical example: the numerous places (including state and city) called Washington are named for a man whose name comes from a place named for a person (Wasa or the like).

Of course Wellington and Nelson do have stations, and if they hadn't maybe they would have been given new ones. Marlborough did - but had it taken away. But if we were even slightly inclined to hand out station names as accolades there would be a Churchill, wouldn't there? (I really don't think you can say Energlyn & Churchill Park is that.)
Surely some of the Washingtons are named from the Wearside town directly? Just like the Boston in Massachusetts is named for its less well known counterpart in the fens (but more importantly I'm pretty sure the brownies were named for the big one in Westpondia).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 19:59:30 »

And back on topic, how about reopening Adlestrop under the bang up to date name Cameron Parkway (CMD) ? !!!  Cheesy

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 20:30:37 »

CMD is Camden Road!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 08:06:35 »

Here's my thoughts - some more flippant than others

Plymouth Daley
Weston-super-Mare Cleese
Exeter Hooker
Swindon Dors
Melksham Park
Bradford-on-Avon Shrapnel
Reading Kyle
Trowbridge Pitman
Swansea Zeta-Jones
Frome Button

Here's our son of Melksham - from Wikipedia
Andy Park has eaten 135,000 sprouts, 107,000 mince pies and drank 6,000 bottles of champagne since 1994. Over the years he has sent himself more than 235,500 Christmas cards.

In 2001, it was estimated that since he started celebrating he had got through 30 artificial Christmas trees, 10,000 m of tinsel and 10,000 balloons, at a (then) estimated cost of £100,000. In 2005, he released a single entitled "It's Christmas Every Day", with a video featuring Mike Read and produced by Andy Whitmore. There were suggestions in the media that much of the information released by Mr Park was false, and simply to attract publicity for the single:
He claims that each day he eats breakfast (turkey sandwich and mince pies), then goes to work, until returning around at lunchtime to eat a full roast turkey dinner before watching a recording of the Queen's Christmas speech, sherry in hand. In 2006, it was reported that the Queen had politely declined an invitation to broadcast her speech from his house.

In an interview published in 2006, Mr. Park was quoted as saying that, over the previous 13 years, he had consumed 4,380 turkeys (one a day), 87,600 mince pies (20 a day), 2,190 pints of gravy (half a pint a day), 26,280 roast potatoes (six a day), 30,660 stuffing balls, 219,000 mushy peas, 4,380 bottles of champagne, 4,380 bottles of sherry and 5,000 bottles of wine. However, in 2001, he was warned by his doctor that the diet was affecting his health after his weight increased to 19 stone (270 lb; 120 kg).

On 8 December 2015, Park appeared on the Channel 5 documentary Crackers about Christmas. The show explains how Park wanted his single to reach Christmas number one and he still follows his daily routine now in 2015, however, following recent reports in the Daily Mirror, he has decided to stop celebrating daily after Christmas 2015 due to wiping out his savings and being at risk of losing his home. However, after just two weeks of abstention, Park returned to celebrating every day, citing his love for the holiday being too great. On 27th December 2017, Park announced enough was enough. In an interview with the South Milford Gazette, he acknowledged that the very idea of eating a Christmas dinner every day was ridiculous, and that he did not know what he had been thinking. Park subsequently announced that in the New Year he will stop celebrating Christmas, even on Christmas Day, and will instead celebrate Easter every day, with chocolate eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 08:57:16 »

Here's my thoughts - some more flippant than others

Plymouth Daley
Weston-super-Mare Cleese
Exeter Hooker
Swindon Dors
Melksham Park
Bradford-on-Avon Shrapnel
Reading Kyle
Trowbridge Pitman
Swansea Zeta-Jones
Frome Button

Here's our son of Melksham - from Wikipedia
Andy Park has eaten 135,000 sprouts, 107,000 mince pies and drank 6,000 bottles of champagne since 1994. Over the years he has sent himself more than 235,500 Christmas cards.

In 2001, it was estimated that since he started celebrating he had got through 30 artificial Christmas trees, 10,000 m of tinsel and 10,000 balloons, at a (then) estimated cost of £100,000. In 2005, he released a single entitled "It's Christmas Every Day", with a video featuring Mike Read and produced by Andy Whitmore. There were suggestions in the media that much of the information released by Mr Park was false, and simply to attract publicity for the single:
He claims that each day he eats breakfast (turkey sandwich and mince pies), then goes to work, until returning around at lunchtime to eat a full roast turkey dinner before watching a recording of the Queen's Christmas speech, sherry in hand. In 2006, it was reported that the Queen had politely declined an invitation to broadcast her speech from his house.

In an interview published in 2006, Mr. Park was quoted as saying that, over the previous 13 years, he had consumed 4,380 turkeys (one a day), 87,600 mince pies (20 a day), 2,190 pints of gravy (half a pint a day), 26,280 roast potatoes (six a day), 30,660 stuffing balls, 219,000 mushy peas, 4,380 bottles of champagne, 4,380 bottles of sherry and 5,000 bottles of wine. However, in 2001, he was warned by his doctor that the diet was affecting his health after his weight increased to 19 stone (270 lb; 120 kg).

On 8 December 2015, Park appeared on the Channel 5 documentary Crackers about Christmas. The show explains how Park wanted his single to reach Christmas number one and he still follows his daily routine now in 2015, however, following recent reports in the Daily Mirror, he has decided to stop celebrating daily after Christmas 2015 due to wiping out his savings and being at risk of losing his home. However, after just two weeks of abstention, Park returned to celebrating every day, citing his love for the holiday being too great. On 27th December 2017, Park announced enough was enough. In an interview with the South Milford Gazette, he acknowledged that the very idea of eating a Christmas dinner every day was ridiculous, and that he did not know what he had been thinking. Park subsequently announced that in the New Year he will stop celebrating Christmas, even on Christmas Day, and will instead celebrate Easter every day, with chocolate eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I know this is just a bit of fun, but when one considers that my own beloved city of Plymouth gave the World men like Robert Falcon Scott, Michael Foot and Francis Drake, if the best we could do is name a station after Tom Daley it would make me weep............knowing Plymouth City Council however (especially when Tudor Evans is periodically in charge) it wouldn't surprise me - if there were to be another one to add to North Road, call it Friary, that'd bring back a lot of happy memories for local people!

(Not sure that even Plymouth can match Melksham's most famous son however, even though Cap'n Jasper does his best!!!)
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 11:09:55 »

...but when one considers that my own beloved city of Plymouth gave the World men like ... Francis Drake, ...

The good burghers of Tavistock might take issue with you on that particular statement!  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 17:03:17 »

...but when one considers that my own beloved city of Plymouth gave the World men like ... Francis Drake, ...
The good burghers of Tavistock might take issue with you on that particular statement!  Grin

Agreed.  And Robert Falcon Scott is something of a controversial hero, despite his fame.

Rather than diver Tom Daley, I'd suggest swimmer Sharron Davies MBE for a Plymouth station naming (we attended the same schools, in Plymstock).  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 09:09:51 »

Agreed.  And Robert Falcon Scott is something of a controversial hero, despite his fame.

Rather than diver Tom Daley, I'd suggest swimmer Sharron Davies MBE for a Plymouth station naming (we attended the same schools, in Plymstock).  Wink

..........simply not true I tell you! Drake was a Janner, born at Derriford, bought his pasties from Dewdneys (Ron, not Ivor!), drank in the Minerva and was regularly seen on the terraces at Home Park banging his drum!  Smiley

Most heroes have a whiff of controversy about them - by nature they are risk takers - some would have the statues of Drake torn down due to his involvement with the slave trade, but we now have a somewhat unfortunate habit of judging historical figures by the standards of our own time, rather than theirs.

Even though I fully get the village mentality prevalent within Plymouth (which in many ways holds it back), I am assuming that your suggestion of Sharron Davies Parkway is tongue in cheek?  (Although I guess each platform could be named after one of her husbands, there's been a few!!!)  Cheesy

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 14:29:23 »

just a thought  what about Wilson's field for Huddersfield after all his statue is in front of the station. Plus its got two real ale pubs in the station buildings.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 09:44:13 »

Maydenhead?
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 14:00:36 »

Israel's transportation minister announced on Wednesday that a train station set to be built adjacent to Jerusalem's Western Wall will be named after President Trump to honor his decision to recognize Jerusalem as the Israeli capital.

“The Western Wall is the holiest place for the Jewish people, and I decided to name the train station that leads to it after President Trump — following his historic and brave decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Israel," Yisrael Katz said, according to The Jerusalem Post.

So it's actually to be Trumpton?

OTC
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 10:26:46 »

Maydenhead?
Cheesy Cheesy

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: