Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:22:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 cancellation and amendment log  (Read 107240 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2018, 11:43:37 »

.......I wasn't being entirely serious Graham, but I am sure that your scrutiny keeps them on their toes!  Wink

Totally understood ... but what an excellent hook you provided for me to keep TransWilts' passengers on the radar!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2018, 13:27:47 »

Alterations to services between Westbury and Melksham

Due to severe weather between Westbury and Melksham the line is disrupted.
Train services running through these stations have been suspended. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer Advice

The line between Swindon and Westbury is currently closed due to the continued poor weather conditions. We are unable to run a train service because of the weather, we will also be unable to use taxis or buses. Road conditions will not be safe for road transport to be used as an alternative and we advise you not to travel on these routes.

Further Information
An update will follow within the next 5 hours.
Last Updated:04/03/2018 11:08

Gobsmacked.  No remaining evidence of severe weather.  Buses and taxis that are NOT on rail replacement duty running perfectly   Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2018, 13:31:25 »

And a public Facebook post says

So annoying isnt it same as with this snow that’s disappeared yet they’re still not using the line today and won’t say on tomorrow yet either! Which isn’t helpful when my daughter catches the 7.05 train!! GWR (Great Western Railway) won’t even answer my question about whether she can go via Bath instead with her season ticket!

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2018, 14:16:54 »

There does come a point after a major weather event where you can’t but help it’s being used as an excuse not to run a service for operational convenience. I can’t think that any train crew who sign on a Westbury or Bristol due to work today had any difficulties getting to work.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2018, 15:17:20 »

There does come a point after a major weather event where you can’t but help it’s being used as an excuse not to run a service for operational convenience. I can’t think that any train crew who sign on a Westbury or Bristol due to work today had any difficulties getting to work.

Customers getting pretty fed up here as they don't understand (neither do I) what the problem is.

I have asked what the problems are on Twitter and so have others ... they seem to be so busy today that they're selectively replying. I tried calling GWR (Great Western Railway) customer support - option 4 - but all it does is put you back to the main menu and offer the same options again ... tried National Rail and the lady there assured me that the 06:36 Melksham to Westbury is scheduled and will run tomorrow.  I came away with the right words, but an uneasy feeling that the information may not be certain.  I would have felt far better if there had been a few extra words like "the line has been closed due to bad weather but will be re-opened by that time"  rather than asking me to repeat "Melksham" three times.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2018, 15:36:21 »

Reply on Twitter:

"Hello. Staff are currently clearing platforms from snow and ice. No confirmation on whether the lines will be open tomorrow just yet but we will post information here on Twitter on this as soon as we can. Natalie"

I can tell them that Melksham station is clear (been there!) and all the others are open for other trains ... so should be OK, right?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2018, 22:00:38 »

Posted a few minutes ago

Delays to services between Westbury and Melksham
Following severe weather earlier between Westbury and Melksham the line will be reopened shortly.
Train services running through these stations are returning to normal. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Last Updated:04/03/2018 21:47

Weather today has been AOK.   Don't understand what the problem was with running a train service ....

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2018, 22:08:28 »

I agree.  Better get some sleep just in case the 06:10 runs.   Grin
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2018, 08:59:47 »

Posted a few minutes ago

Following severe weather earlier between Westbury and Melksham the line will be reopened shortly.
Train services running through these stations are returning to normal. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Weather today has been AOK.   Don't understand what the problem was with running a train service ....

I believe there was a shortage of trancrew yesterday following the disruption. Staff getting in to work wasn't the problem. It was staff returning home following the disruption. I am told there were crews stranded in Bristol, Yeovil, Salisbury and even Poole (trying to return from Weymouth) for one and even two nights with some crews who booked on for duty on Thursday afternoon not getting home until Saturday evening. Understandably, those affected then declined to work the Sunday. Whether the Melksham service was pulled to keep other routes staffed I do not know, however it would explain why the weather was the reason given for the cancellations.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2018, 12:21:12 »

Posted a few minutes ago

I believe there was a shortage of trancrew yesterday following the disruption.  ....

I could believe that - indeed it's what I would have guessed.   Except we were told "We are unable to run a train service because of the weather, we will also be unable to use taxis or buses. Road conditions will not be safe for road transport to be used as an alternative" and that does not fit with displaced train crew message.

We've had a visitor here in Melksham today ... he arrived at Westbury by train late yesterday and took a taxi to Melksham, which does make me wonder just how sensitive GWR (Great Western Railway)'s road transport is  Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2018, 07:15:36 »

07:33 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19
Facilities on the 07:33 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3.

NOT a problem ...

We have "HQ (Headquarters)" - ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) representative - with us this afternoon.   At least she's likely to see that things don't run purrrrfecly!

06:10 off Swindon as a 2 car 158.   Looking at the Westbury sidings, I'm guessing a 150/2 for the 07:33.   Handing out leaflets about next week's replacement of trains by buses during the day.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2018, 06:44:27 »

07:33 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19
07:33 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train drivers.

08:49 Swindon to Westbury due 09:42
08:49 Swindon to Westbury due 09:42 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train drivers.

Only the busiest up train of the day ... that's the 07:49 off Melksham, next train 10:04.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2018, 09:17:38 »

..and the next pair...

09:48 Westbury to Swindon due 10:33

09:48 Westbury to Swindon due 10:33 will be cancelled.
This is due to train crew being delayed by service disruption.

10:47 Swindon to Westbury due 11:31

10:47 Swindon to Westbury due 11:31 will be cancelled.

No crew but for a different reason
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2018, 09:20:53 »

..and the next pair...

09:48 Westbury to Swindon due 10:33

09:48 Westbury to Swindon due 10:33 will be cancelled.

10:47 Swindon to Westbury due 11:31

10:47 Swindon to Westbury due 11:31 will be cancelled.

No crew but for a different reason

Geeze! ....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:34 »

..and the next pair...
Geeze! ....

So that's no train calling from 07:19 until 12:06 ... with the "blame game" of delay attribution putting assigning the issue in each case to GWR (Great Western Railway) ...

Trying not to take this personally this morning - however, 'm on my way from Swansea to Melksham ... thank goodness I spotted BobM's post just as my train approached Cardiff as that's allowed me to connect back into the Portsmouth train and I can get the bus from Bath.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: