Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:38:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 cancellation and amendment log  (Read 107228 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2018, 08:19:34 »

There were also problems caused by a passenger being taken ill at Chippenham and waiting for an ambulance

Indeed - not quite that simple either:
... there were the very unusual goings on a Chippenham, (mis?)reported initially as a train fault ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2018, 06:47:41 »

Major problems - engineering work overruns and a swathe of cancellations this morning.  Unclear what GWR (Great Western Railway) are doing to carry the passengers who are expecting  a train service this morning.   Engineering works overrunning are not new, so there will be a contingency plan, right??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2018, 06:55:52 »

@GWRHelp - Most trains cancelled from Trowbridge to Chippenham, and Melksham calls. What alternatives are you offering? Ticket acceptance via Bath and /or buses?

Alterations to services between Westbury and Pewsey
Due to engineering works not being finished on time between Westbury and Pewsey all lines are blocked.
Train services running through these stations may be diverted. Disruption is expected until 13:00 16/03.
Further Information
An update will follow within the next 2 hours.
Last Updated:16/03/2018 05:27

Noting not a word  about disruption between Westbury and Swindon.   However, today's cancellations listed:

07:33 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19
08:49 Swindon to Westbury due 09:42
09:48 Westbury to Swindon due 10:33
09:56 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 12:00
10:47 Swindon to Westbury due 11:31
11:47 Westbury to Swindon due 12:34
12:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 14:07
12:47 Swindon to Frome due 13:41

Sample full entry

08:49 Swindon to Westbury due 09:42
08:49 Swindon to Westbury due 09:42 will be cancelled.
This is due to engineering works not being finished on time.
Last Updated:16/03/2018 04:24

As I'm writing ... reply to my tweet

Hi there. Swindon to Melksham services will be cancelled. Up & Down services diverted via Melksham to call additionally at Swindon. We have mini buses on standby to run from Melksham when required. Rachel

No answer on ticket acceptance via Bath Spa / on what people to / from Trowbridge should do.  But then Twitter has its limits and I'm sure that Rachel has rather a lot on her plate today.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:16 »

.... Rachel has rather a lot on her plate today.

A Cornish Cream Tea by any chance Huh
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2018, 07:06:32 »

Points have been damaged at Heywood Road effectively shutting the Berks & Hants line at the Westbury end.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2018, 07:19:52 »

Points have been damaged at Heywood Road effectively shutting the Berks & Hants line at the Westbury end.

Quick off the mark there Bobm, I've been waiting for you to post piccys of the modified Mk3's delivered to Laira earlier this week and was thinking you're slow off the mark on that event.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2018, 07:28:14 »

.... Rachel has rather a lot on her plate today.

A Cornish Cream Tea by any chance Huh

No, but now that you've reminded me I'll stop for a Wiltshire Buttered Breakfast!

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:52 »

Chiltern Railways and Virgin West Coast are accepting tickets by any reasonable route.

That is a familiar message posted when disruptions occur at other locations on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network.

As there is no other operator in this neck of the woods that could provide a reasonable alternative route at a time of disruption I as a holder of a ticket via Melksham would travel via Bath and if I was asked to pay an excess I would refuse and would argue my case in court citing the duty of the rail operator to get me to my destination in times of disruption as set out in the T & C's.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2018, 08:52:17 »

Chiltern Railways and Virgin West Coast are accepting tickets by any reasonable route.

That is a familiar message posted when disruptions occur at other locations on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network.

As there is no other operator in this neck of the woods that could provide a reasonable alternative route at a time of disruption I as a holder of a ticket via Melksham would travel via Bath and if I was asked to pay an excess I would refuse and would argue my case in court citing the duty of the rail operator to get me to my destination in times of disruption as set out in the T & C's.

Not sure where that message came from - I took a look and couldn't see it.

Having been on the periphery of customer information provision, I can appreciate the issues the team has to get correct information and complete information out quickly - indeed you'll find me sometimes posting here to at least says something, and then editing to refine.  I suspect the GWR team do the same - though they will have far more tools at their hand to do i quicker and more accurately than we could.

In total agreement that TOCs (Train Operating Company) should be required to get you there during interruptions - either "on the day" stuff or during planned engineering - with reasonable efficiency and without charging you more for their failure to provide normally timetabled service.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2018, 09:13:31 »

Major problems - engineering work overruns and a swathe of cancellations this morning.  Unclear what GWR (Great Western Railway) are doing to carry the passengers who are expecting  a train service this morning.   Engineering works overrunning are not new, so there will be a contingency plan, right??

If theres nothing arranged & you need to be somewhere jump in a cab and send in a claim to GWR.....remember they can't hide behind not paying for consequential losses any more.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:53 »

If theres nothing arranged & you need to be somewhere jump in a cab and send in a claim to GWR.....remember they can't hide behind not paying for consequential losses any more.

My emphasis - I think you need to take reasonable steps to check that nothing HAS been arranged.   You also need to limit your extra costs / be prudent in spending GWR's money.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2018, 10:13:09 »

My emphasis - I think you need to take reasonable steps to check that nothing HAS been arranged.   You also need to limit your extra costs / be prudent in spending GWR's money.

Taking into account that I, and hundreds of thousands of others, make a pretty chunky contribution to "GWRs money" ourselves, I think it's fair that I/we will be able to be more prudent in spending it if and when GWR become more prudent in wasting our and our Businesses time hanging around for cancelled trains & the contingencies thereon.

Taking into account the amount of "GWR money" that is wasted on vanity projects and pointless advertising, you may find it more fruitful to challenge them on that particular issue.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2018, 13:46:52 »

And another! ... looks like the over-run is over-running.  Was to be back by 05:00. then 13:00 now says "delays until 14:00" but this cancellation takes it until after 15:00.    I wonder if the 15:18 Swindon to Westbury will run?

14:04 Frome to Swindon due 15:03
14:04 Frome to Swindon due 15:03 will be cancelled.

Taking into account that I, and hundreds of thousands of others, make a pretty chunky contribution to "GWRs (Great Western Railway) money" ourselves, I think it's fair that I/we will be able to be more prudent in spending it if and when GWR become more prudent in wasting our and our Businesses time hanging around for cancelled trains & the contingencies thereon.

Taking into account the amount of "GWR money" that is wasted on vanity projects and pointless advertising, you may find it more fruitful to challenge them on that particular issue.

My suggestion of being prudent was not on any moral grounds, but rather on the grounds of helping you make a clear-cut case for claiming back.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2018, 14:33:57 »

I wonder if the 15:18 Swindon to Westbury will run?

Nope ...

15:18 Swindon to Westbury due 16:01
15:18 Swindon to Westbury due 16:01 will be cancelled.

I think last train was 06:10 from Swindon (may have been a return trip at lunch time though?).

Hope it's worthwhile.   Please remind me what benefits the Newbury blockades and their overruns bring the TransWilts  Sad

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2018, 15:00:56 »

The 08:41 from Weston to Cardiff has done well this week
Cancelled 4 out of 5 days - apparently shortage of rolling stock due to a higher number than expected number of trains requiring repairs
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: