Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:06:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 cancellation and amendment log  (Read 107250 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #660 on: December 22, 2018, 16:57:05 »

18:32 Westbury to Swindon due 19:22
18:32 Westbury to Swindon due 19:22 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

[snip]

No further advice for intending travellers on these trains again.....

Better not say "wait for next train" ... 4th January 2019 at 07:04!

Seem to have been re-instated
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 25, 2018, 14:30:24 »

Far more useful, and much more simple, would be to relay the fourth track along the existing platform face at Westbury which becomes even more of a bottleneck if / when the hourly extra MetroWest services from Severn Beach or Avonmouth start running to there.  Platform already there ... no need for new platform or access subway / footbridge / slopes / lift as the Swindon suggestion would have.

It has been quoted as £10M to restore the old Platform 1 at Westbury to passenger use !! The idiots who did this should pay out of their pensions to do it ...................

How would it cost that much?. I remember in 1984 when a parcel platform in Gloucester was brought back into use, the only cost was, Platform 4 signs, Footbridge, new wooden T.R.T.S. cupboard, then was opened.

I have just realised after posting on the Westbury track thread, That it looks like the cost is to include resignalling.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 18:34:48 by Dispatch Box » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #662 on: December 25, 2018, 16:24:19 »

How would it cost that much?. I remember in 1984 when a parcel platform in Gloucester was brought back into use, the only cost was, Platform 4 signs, Footbridge, new wooden T.R.T.S. cupboard, then was opened.

I think that re-opening Melksham Station in 1985 was done on the cheap - a cost of a few thousand.  The cost of slewing the track over at Staverton to the platform that's there and re-opening that station - broadly equivalent today - and you would be lucky to get change from a couple of million.

I have been shocked by how prices have risen in the rail industry from 2005 to 2018 - the (unconfirmed) cost quoted to me for adding a Swindon to Westbury daytime service as an option in the 2005 franchise versus what it cost for the 2013 trial ... with intermediate year's costings confirming the rapid rise over that period.

With Westbury, the question is "cost for what".  I could describe two very, very different schemes with very, very different price tags for a fourth platform face.   But without them being parts of official plans, none of these schemes appears to have reached the dizzy, dizzy heights where anyone at Network Rail would notice them and my understanding is that there is no passive provision being made during the current works with, already, the hint as a fourth platform is asked for of a response "but you wouldn't want a long stoppage to do it, would you" even though the relaying and enhancement were described as "entirely separate projects with no implications on each other" when the plan to relay to current layout popped up a few months ago.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 26, 2018, 18:41:21 »

I think that re-opening Melksham Station in 1985 was done on the cheap - a cost of a few thousand.  The cost of slewing the track over at Staverton to the platform that's there and re-opening that station - broadly equivalent today - and you would be lucky to get change from a couple of million.

I have been shocked by how prices have risen in the rail industry from 2005 to 2018 - the (unconfirmed) cost quoted to me for adding a Swindon to Westbury daytime service as an option in the 2005 franchise versus what it cost for the 2013 trial ... with intermediate year's costings confirming the rapid rise over that period.

With Westbury, the question is "cost for what".  I could describe two very, very different schemes with very, very different price tags for a fourth platform face.   But without them being parts of official plans, none of these schemes appears to have reached the dizzy, dizzy heights where anyone at Network Rail would notice them and my understanding is that there is no passive provision being made during the current works with, already, the hint as a fourth platform is asked for of a response "but you wouldn't want a long stoppage to do it, would you" even though the relaying and enhancement were described as "entirely separate projects with no implications on each other" when the plan to relay to current layout popped up a few months ago.

So your thinking then, that this work in Westbury is a waste of money and would of probably been better spent on two tracks for the Melksham line.

I suppose a part of the estimated cost may be including new signals, track works, removing that fence, putting in a platform edge and tactiles, T.R.T.S cupboards, cis screens and off and cd/ra indicators, lastly new signs.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 18:52:42 by Dispatch Box » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 26, 2018, 19:06:33 »

So your thinking then, that this work in Westbury is a waste of money and would of probably been better spent on two tracks for the Melksham line.

Renewals done at the appropriate time can never be a waste of money. If they are not done then reliability suffers even more than it has.

A lost opportunity to make passive provision for a future without incurring significant additional cost - perhaps

I suppose a part of the estimated cost may be including new signals, track works, removing that fence, putting in a platform edge and tactiles, T.R.T.S cupboards, cis screens and off and cd/ra indicators, lastly new signs.

If the reports of a major signal cable run under the proposed new line is correct then relocating that could be a significant cost.

Assuming that the existing line is well used (as some have suggested) then slewing it over or building the platform out is not an option. 

In which case a new line would be required - or rather the platform line would need to be reinstated. New switches and crossings are really expensive and I presume that at least two would be required for such a project in addition to all the signalling changes. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #665 on: December 26, 2018, 19:37:15 »

The current work at Westbury needs doing. No question.  There have been speed restrictions in place there for a while as the track has gone beyond the end of its economic life, there have been failures, etc.

What I question is the apparent separation of maintenance and upgrade.  £x million now on relaying the track followed by another £x million on upgrade in a couple of years strikes me as poor value compared to a single spend of, say £1.5x now on doing both at the same time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 26, 2018, 20:07:29 »

Diverting cables is not a technically difficult job.  You can stage it and spread the work over a reasonable period.  Its been done before in more complex places than Westbury.

The Reception line is currently used to hold freight trains during loco and crew changes, and is very well used, so not a good idea to use it as the Platform line.  As I stated in a few posts before, there is space for a new track adjacent to the platform face and it could initially be made into a single ended bay platform to overcome capacity constraints.

We of course don't know the reasons for not including the proposals in the current works, but I suspect that the S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) renewal is being funded from the OPEX budget whereas the bay platform work would be funded from the CAPEX budget and the source of funding for the latter would have to be provided by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for that purpose.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:20:40 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 28, 2018, 19:21:16 »

Diverting cables is not a technically difficult job.  You can stage it and spread the work over a reasonable period.  Its been done before in more complex places than Westbury.

Yes it had to be done, when the Kemble line was redoubled in 2014. They had to move cable runs and some metal cabinets, lastly signals, which were replaced at the same time.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 11, 2019, 19:22:46 »

Graham have you started one of these for 2019, can't seem to find it yet?.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #669 on: January 11, 2019, 19:25:37 »

Graham have you started one of these for 2019, can't seem to find it yet?.

It's at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20898.0

Also experimenting at http://www.mrug.org.uk/record.html ... but need to be patient on that to see how things percolate through the system.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]
  Print  

Jump to: