16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:40:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Point West - this evening  (Read 2726 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 02, 2018, 15:19:38 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West this evening ... piece of fare increases (predictable for start of January).  Possible piece on TransWilts progress, including comments about new day return fares that may significantly lower some people's costs (less predictable  Grin )

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 20:13:51 »

You got the message across in your brief time on camera grahame. Well done!

I was in the kitchen and thought, I recognise that voice!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 20:39:14 »

You got the message across in your brief time on camera grahame. Well done!

I was in the kitchen and thought, I recognise that voice!
And you can see the report https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09k7f3v/points-west-evening-news-02012018,  with our Grahame's interview starting around the 8 minute mark.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 21:25:08 »

Glanced at the TV in the tea room at work and had to double take. Volume was down so about to IPlayer it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 23:19:56 »

So, congratulations to grahame for 'being available for comment'.  Even if he did startle some of our members, in their kitchens or tea rooms. Wink

Elsewhere - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Chris Grayling says he is not 'shirking' by visiting Qatar

Chris Grayling has insisted he is not "shirking" his job by travelling to Qatar on the day the biggest rise in UK (United Kingdom) rail fares since 2013 came into effect.

The transport secretary told the BBC he regrets the level of fare increase and wishes "it wasn't as high as it is".

But he said he was "trying to win jobs for Britain" by going to the Gulf.

Labour said Mr Grayling had "gone into hiding" as protests took place at 40 stations against the fare rises.

Many commuters have seen their season tickets go up by more than £100.

The government has insisted Mr Grayling's trip to Qatar was "pre-planned", but it has been seized upon by opposition parties, who claim it shows his disregard for commuters.

Speaking to Radio 5 Live from the Middle East, Mr Grayling - who is MP (Member of Parliament) for Epsom and Ewell - said he cannot "unpick decades of arrangements within the rail industry".

"It's not fair to say to tax payers who use the railways you have to pay the cost of running the network. All this is part of giving the passengers a better system," he said. "We have to give staff a pay rise. We want to see the industry come in to line with CPI, we can't guarantee there won't be a rise in fares."

He defended his absence from the UK and his decision to travel to the Gulf state on a two-day trade visit. "I make no apology for trying to win jobs for Britain," he said.

In an earlier interview with LBC radio, he said: "This increase was announced a month ago, and I've done radio interviews about it and answered questions in the House of Commons, so I don't think I've shirked the issue."

Downing Street said "we've known [the fare rises] were coming for a while" and a full response had been issued.

But Labour's shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald said Mr Grayling had gone "into hiding" because he was "unable to defend" the fare hike, and was also "refusing to explain the £2bn taxpayer bailout of Virgin East Coast". "Passengers deserve better than this," he added.

Mr McDonald said he had been forced to cancel plans to take part in a protest against the rail fare in Leeds after his train from London Kings Cross broke down. "If anything ever demonstrated just how broken this system is it's this today," he added.

Mr Grayling's visit to Qatar will be followed by a day in Turkey.

Asked about the purpose of the visit, the prime minister's official spokesman said: "There are ministers visiting a whole host of countries spreading the message that Britain is a very good place to invest and to do business in. Chris Grayling obviously plays an important part in that."

A government spokesman said the way fares were calculated was "under review" and the transport department "carefully monitors how rail fares and average earnings change".

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Vince Cable said: "Rail passengers are shivering on platforms angered by the biggest fare increase in years while Chris Grayling is off globetrotting.  It's very difficult to see what useful function he can perform in Qatar and Turkey that our excellent trade officials could not."

Mick Cash, general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union, said passengers forking out more for train travel will "draw their own conclusions" from Mr Grayling's decision to take a "trip to the Qatari sunshine".

Mr Grayling is one of a number of ministers mentioned in press speculation over the weekend about a possible cabinet reshuffle.

Asked whether he would remain transport secretary for the foreseeable future, the PM's spokesman said: "Chris Grayling is working hard and doing a good job as transport secretary."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 06:15:01 »

So, congratulations to grahame for 'being available for comment'.  Even if he did startle some of our members, in their kitchens or tea rooms. Wink

Elsewhere - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

In an earlier interview with LBC radio, he said: "This increase was announced a month ago, and I've done radio interviews about it and answered questions in the House of Commons, so I don't think I've shirked the issue."

Downing Street said "we've known [the fare rises] were coming for a while" and a full response had been issued.

But Labour's shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald said Mr Grayling had gone "into hiding" because he was "unable to defend" the fare hike

I don't always agree with Chris Grayling ... but I think that with the annual (as each year) fare rises there is an announcement in August in general with the effect on each individual fare becoming know around the new year, the rail industry and government are open to taking two hits on the same news.   Of course, they will cheerfully announce the same positives (e.g. investment) multiple times ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:13 »

"have yo give staff a pay-rise"

Hmmm.....there are many rail commuters who haven't had one.

Linked to RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)).....vary rare to be anything less than positive over RPI.

Even fewer in the country that get this sort of rise.

I don't think so. But its THE reason fare rises are linked to RPI. If Grayling does want to industry to run on CPI inflation, there'll be even more disruption. Is it something the commuter will accept for this purpose?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: