Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:56:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line - 2018 cancellation and amendments log  (Read 176671 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #555 on: July 03, 2018, 09:52:27 »

That is against the principle that customers should be expected to pay no more because published timetabled trains don't run.    That principle was set in the context of engineering changes pushing trains from off peak to peak timing, but would seem to me to have been stated by my contact in such a way that it also applies in your case.

I'd (naturally!) agree. I suspect GWR (Great Western Railway) would argue that though the 9.41 was cancelled, I could have caught the 10.08 instead, which as a sub-1 hour delay wouldn't be eligible for compensation. That would have pushed my 10.30 meeting in Reading later, so I'd have to return later... and therefore buy an Anytime Return to catch the evening peak. Pretty much damned either way!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #556 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:50 »

That is against the principle that customers should be expected to pay no more because published timetabled trains don't run.    That principle was set in the context of engineering changes pushing trains from off peak to peak timing, but would seem to me to have been stated by my contact in such a way that it also applies in your case.

I'd (naturally!) agree. I suspect GWR (Great Western Railway) would argue that though the 9.41 was cancelled, I could have caught the 10.08 instead, which as a sub-1 hour delay wouldn't be eligible for compensation. That would have pushed my 10.30 meeting in Reading later, so I'd have to return later... and therefore buy an Anytime Return to catch the evening peak. Pretty much damned either way!

But who's to say that you could push your meeting back?   If I set up a meeting in (say) London with lots of public transport users, I would do so with their travel costs in mind - so allowing off peak travel.   That's what the rail industry encourages, after all - off peak fares to even out travel.    And it is then darned cheeky of them to cancel the first off peak train, giving you Hobson's choice between a higher fare and arriving late for meeting; last minute cancellations do happen occasionally ( Cheesy ) but if known an hour or two ahead, then surely the morally correct approach would be to allow passengers alerted ahead to travel on the earlier train at the rate they would have paid anyway?

I suspect that although you're on very strong moral ground, this would be a tough battle to fight and win, and the logical approach is to pragmatically accept it as one of the 'dirty' results of the current setup.  An input on the principle that passengers should be expected to pay no more for the second best alternative to them in the event of a cancellation may be a good input to the fares consultation though.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #557 on: July 03, 2018, 10:39:50 »

The problem is fear that everyone intending to travel on that last peak would discover the cancellation & all ask to buy the off-peak fare.

I guess the half-way house solution would be to allow travel on the peak train *if* the off-peak ticket had been bought in advance - so before the cancellation was made. This could be evidenced by the receipt/email confirmation.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #558 on: July 03, 2018, 10:59:13 »

The problem is fear that everyone intending to travel on that last peak would discover the cancellation & all ask to buy the off-peak fare.

I guess the half-way house solution would be to allow travel on the peak train *if* the off-peak ticket had been bought in advance - so before the cancellation was made. This could be evidenced by the receipt/email confirmation.

The solution is to run a reliable service so that there would hardly ever be an issue.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #559 on: July 03, 2018, 11:01:37 »

of course - we are discussing what could happen when there isn't, aren't we?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #560 on: July 03, 2018, 11:08:05 »

of course - we are discussing what could happen when there isn't, aren't we?

If it was only cancelled once in a franchise, I suspect GWR (Great Western Railway) would have no problem honouring the off peak ticket on the final peak service.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 03, 2018, 12:09:26 »

......and there you have GWR (Great Western Railway)'s attitude to its customers & customer service in a nutshell.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #562 on: July 03, 2018, 13:39:59 »

Sorry, that's tosh.

There you have the Brit passenger's attitude to paying it's way. Rip off the seller if it's at all possible. We believe public transport owes us a free ride as we pay taxes
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 03, 2018, 13:55:03 »

... and there you have the GWR (Great Western Railway)'s apologists' attitude. I'm with you TG. Not utter tosh at all.

In the specific circumstances it is good customer service to let a passenger return on a peak service after their days plans have been pushed back by fault of the TOC (Train Operating Company). Such that they can no longer return at an off peak time.

If the customer asks, then individual permission should be granted. No need to relax the peak restriction for all.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 14:01:12 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 03, 2018, 14:48:38 »

Another one bites the dust:

14:21 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street due 16:44 has been cancelled.
This is due to this train being late from the depot.

Last Updated:03/07/2018 14:45
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 03, 2018, 17:26:17 »

Sorry, that's tosh.

There you have the Brit passenger's attitude to paying it's way. Rip off the seller if it's at all possible. We believe public transport owes us a free ride as we pay taxes
Not with you on this one Chris. The vast majority of the travelling public are okay with paying a fair price for a dependable train service.

Right now it’s the other way round with GWR (Great Western Railway)’s passengers, whether it’s Monday to Friday commuters or weekend travellers, who are being ripped off.

How anyone can justify the daily round of cancellations and short formed services as an acceptable and dependable level of service is beyond me. But that’s exactly what Dft will be doing by rewarding First with another Direct Award in the next few months.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 03, 2018, 17:55:38 »

It's another poor day today:

16:22 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 19:24 was terminated at Oxford.
It will no longer call at Hanborough, Combe, Finstock, Charlbury, Ascott-under-Wychwood, Shipton, Kingham, Moreton-in-Marsh, Honeybourne, Evesham, Pershore, Worcester Shrub Hill, Worcester Foregate Street, Malvern Link and Great Malvern.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Last Updated:03/07/2018 17:22

with the return 19:42 GMV:PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) starting from Oxford.

[later edit] and to top it, the following service (17:22 Paddington to Hereford) is running 23 minutes late!

[even later edit] - the 17:22 was 37 late through Wolvercote Junction and lost more time on the remainder of its journey. A very late home time for those on the 16:22 travelling beyond Oxford.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 21:08:43 by charles_uk » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 03, 2018, 18:34:05 »

Sorry, that's tosh.

Not with you on this one Chris. The vast majority of the travelling public are okay with paying a fair price for a dependable train service.

Right now it’s the other way round with GWR (Great Western Railway)’s passengers, whether it’s Monday to Friday commuters or weekend travellers, who are being ripped off.

How anyone can justify the daily round of cancellations and short formed services as an acceptable and dependable level of service is beyond me. But that’s exactly what Dft will be doing by rewarding First with another Direct Award in the next few months.

To be fair to Chris B I am sure that he wouldn't have dreamed of making such an extreme, (apparently) bigoted statement without the benefit of being able to cite some rigorous, peer reviewed research which he can share with us or perhaps at least reference, which reflects and supports his position?

I can't imagine anyone would make such a statement based simply on ill informed prejudice or a personal bias or narrative? Surely not!

Over to you Chris! (and it's "British" by the way) Smiley
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 18:43:28 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2018, 06:17:07 »

05:12 London Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh due 06:45 will be terminated at Oxford.
07:10 Moreton-in-Marsh to London Paddington due 08:51 will be started from Oxford.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 04, 2018, 07:28:41 »

And a new excuse:
06:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 09:37 has been cancelled.
This is due to a late departure while the train was cleaned specially.
Last Updated:04/07/2018 07:20
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: