Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:11:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line - 2018 cancellation and amendments log  (Read 176742 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: December 23, 2018, 16:01:23 »

It’s classed as an operational incident, so needs to be reported to the signaller and Control immediately, and will then be the subject of an investigation.  The crew also have to make sure nobody has fallen from the train, which in the dark can take a little while, so a delay of that sort of magnitude is probably about average. The driver may then be relieved of their duties at the next possible location, depending on what other incidents are on their record.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 23, 2018, 16:51:27 »

I will have to take a look next time I leave Gloucester to go to temple meads, Sounds rubbish, obviously they would have to fill it in.

When you do look make sure you look at the other platform to which the train is serving, both of the platforms are of a similar construction.

It might sound rubbish but it serves its purpose as a basic station.

Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 24, 2018, 13:50:39 »

I will have to take a look next time I leave Gloucester to go to temple meads, Sounds rubbish, obviously they would have to fill it in.

When you do look make sure you look at the other platform to which the train is serving, both of the platforms are of a similar construction.

It might sound rubbish but it serves its purpose as a basic station.

Do you think they will improve it, you could do with better cis screens, the last time I remember being on a train to Bristol I did not notice the platform construction but the useless call points with tellys in with departures on.

ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) NOTE: Today have been told that Yate now has new cis screens and that Cam - Dursley is soon to follow, the call points will be replaced.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 19:54:55 by Dispatch Box » Logged
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 02, 2019, 11:34:18 »

Having gone into total anorak mode last year, I have been tracking cancellations of peak and shoulder-peak up morning services and down evening services on the Cotswold Line during 2018. As a Hanborough passenger, my definition of a cancellation is a service scheduled to call at Hanborough which did not do so: eg the occasions where the 05:28 Hereford to Paddington was run fast from Moreton-in-Marsh to Oxford due to late running were counted as cancellations.

Anyway, the three most cancelled services during 2018 were:

15:52 Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh - 41 cancellations
08:25 Worcester Foregate Street to Paddington - 24 cancellations
16:22 Paddington to Great Malvern - 23 cancellations
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 02, 2019, 11:48:32 »

It would be interesting to see those figures broken down into the first six months of the year and the last six months of the year, or even into four quarters.  From memory the 08:25 and especially the 16:22 were very bad in the first half of the year when providing drivers was a huge problem, but that has since gotten much better, whereas the 15:52 is more often than not cancelled due to infrastructure restrictions and other late trains getting in its way so has probably been consistently bad all year.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 02, 2019, 11:59:36 »

15:52 Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh - 41 cancellations  (Q1 8, Q2 19, Q3 4, Q4 10)
08:25 Worcester Foregate Street to Paddington - 24 cancellations (11, 7, 3, 3)
16:22 Paddington to Great Malvern - 23 cancellations (17, 0, 3, 3)

It would be interesting to see those figures broken down into the first six months of the year and the last six months of the year, or even into four quarters.  From memory the 08:25 and especially the 16:22 were very bad in the first half of the year when providing drivers was a huge problem, but that has since gotten much better, whereas the 15:52 is more often than not cancelled due to infrastructure restrictions and other late trains getting in its way so has probably been consistently bad all year.

Quarterly split added above. There were problems with the walkway at Moreton-in-Marsh that prevented the 15:52 being run beyond Oxford during the course of Q2.

The 07:10 Moreton-in-Marsh to Paddington was in fourth place, failing to run on the Cotswold Line on 22 occasions. Like the 15:52 these were spread evenly throughout the year often as a result of congestion issues.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 02, 2019, 12:11:47 »

Is this to be blamed on the remaining single sections still on this line, Hopefully this year it will be done, CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) starts. Is some of it included in the congestion issues above?.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:17:00 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 02, 2019, 12:21:18 »

I think they should electrify the Cotswold line as far as Worcester shrub hill, perhaps this should be in the predictions thread?.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 04, 2019, 17:04:20 »

I think they should electrify the Cotswold line as far as Worcester shrub hill, perhaps this should be in the predictions thread?.

Predictions for 2090 more like. They haven’t made it to Temple Meads or Oxford yet, and I would think Cheltenham would be on the cars before that.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 04, 2019, 19:30:32 »

Predictions for 2090 more like. They haven’t made it to Temple Meads or Oxford yet, and I would think Cheltenham would be on the cards before that.

I had heard that there my be a plan for electrifying the line from Bromsgrove to yate, But was told, it would only be viable if cross country were to get trains to be able to use it,
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 05, 2019, 13:37:02 »

Predictions for 2090 more like. They haven’t made it to Temple Meads or Oxford yet, and I would think Cheltenham would be on the cards before that.

I had heard that there my be a plan for electrifying the line from Bromsgrove to yate, But was told, it would only be viable if cross country were to get trains to be able to use it,

At the current moment it would be a waste of money. If Cross Country use bi-modes it would be worth it, but if the new GW (Great Western) Franchise sees bi modes for West then certainly worth it. Would they go into Gloucester though?
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 05, 2019, 21:09:05 »

At the current moment it would be a waste of money. If Cross Country use bi-modes it would be worth it, but if the new GW (Great Western) Franchise sees bi modes for West then certainly worth it. Would they go into Gloucester though?

At a guess they would have to, would not make sense if they did not, the wires would have to go just up to the platform ends by plat 3. The existing gantries across the tracks would obviously have to be removed, and new signals placed on the ends of the platforms, like the ones they used in oxford.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 06, 2019, 19:51:31 »

18:42 Swindon to Gloucester is 32 min late, Do not know why this is, Although seemed late going to Cheltenham last time round.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #823 on: January 07, 2019, 06:15:47 »

From Re: Cotswold Line - 2018 cancellation and amendments log

18:42 Swindon to Gloucester is 32 min late, Do not know why this is, Although seemed late going to Cheltenham last time round.

Hmmm ... we seem to be straying off topic (as this thread and board relates to the line from Oxford through Evesham and Worcester) and - ironiclally - late (as it's the 2018 log and we're now in 2019!).  However, interesting point raised by this particular delay.

I will follow up / fresh thread ... link to be edited in once the fresh thread is posted.

EDIT .... That follow up is at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20905.0 on the Swindon to Cheltenham Spa board.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 07, 2019, 11:40:48 »

Yes, Sorry graham, did not know where to put it, there did not seem to be a Gloucester or Swindon late trains thread?.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56
  Print  

Jump to: