Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:53:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Service 1A09  (Read 5575 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 21:03:30 »

very good.  Your suggestion of leaving the dead train in the siding assumes that there is a siding and the path to go and collect the train again. 

Then leave it on the platform at Temple Meads. The Manchester XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and Waterloo SW trains, amongst others, stay put for the time it takes an IET (Intercity Express Train) to get to Weston and back. If it is a staffing issue, that would be better than running the show with the back half of the pantomime horse fast asleep - potentially bad PR (Public Relations) as Timmer said. 

Now, please!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 22:32:33 »

I've held back from commenting on this before, but I wondered from the beginning how all the 'guff' about increased capacity would actually work out when commuters from Yatton, Nailsea and Backwell and other stations between WSM and BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) who had the 'luxury' of some 8 coach HSTs (High Speed Train) supplementing the 2/3 coach locals at peak times found them reduced in capacity to 5 coaches.  I am sure others are right in saying that the media will have a field day if/when they realise that one of the excuses for fare rises is daily being flouted and possibly even planned for a reduction. They will probably not be interested as to whether it is the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) or GWR (Great Western Railway) who are to blame: it's 'the railways'.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 23:05:42 »

I've held back from commenting on this before, but I wondered from the beginning how all the 'guff' about increased capacity would actually work out when commuters from Yatton, Nailsea and Backwell and other stations between WSM and BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) who had the 'luxury' of some 8 coach HSTs (High Speed Train) supplementing the 2/3 coach locals at peak times found them reduced in capacity to 5 coaches.  I am sure others are right in saying that the media will have a field day if/when they realise that one of the excuses for fare rises is daily being flouted and possibly even planned for a reduction. They will probably not be interested as to whether it is the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) or GWR (Great Western Railway) who are to blame: it's 'the railways'.

Very true - although I seldom boarded an 8 car HST at Weston to find it full.

When all the gloss has been taken away and the flim-flam forgotten, we will find that we asked for one thing, were told we were getting another, and ended up with some rather different. You're right - it's "the railways", and everybody had better get busy blaming everybody else.

Now, please!
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 19:31:43 »

If anything blame the unions, trying to look as if they are doing something as all the members pay to be part, in truth all they have done is made everything more difficult for GWR (Great Western Railway) and made a solution to the overcrowding problem, an issue again! I imagine once the 9 car IET (Intercity Express Train)'s come into service this will soon be sorted, but its just annoying for everyone right now.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 21:06:01 »

If anything blame the unions, trying to look as if they are doing something as all the members pay to be part, in truth all they have done is made everything more difficult for GWR (Great Western Railway) and made a solution to the overcrowding problem, an issue again! I imagine once the 9 car IET (Intercity Express Train)'s come into service this will soon be sorted, but its just annoying for everyone right now.

And your justification for that statement?
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 19:25:35 »

I have seen a comment in the diagrams thread of UK (United Kingdom) Railways that the issue relates to failures in the uncoupling of units.

The diagram for trains running West of Bristol is that they run 2x5 between Paddington and Bristol where they split and a single 5 coach unit runs on to Weston or Taunton.  On the return this links at Bristol to form a 2x5 to Paddington.

Since the automated uncoupling is not working correctly they are being run as 2x5 with a locked out set until Hitachi produce a working system.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 19:43:47 »

I have seen a comment in the diagrams thread of UK (United Kingdom) Railways that the issue relates to failures in the uncoupling of units.

The diagram for trains running West of Bristol is that they run 2x5 between Paddington and Bristol where they split and a single 5 coach unit runs on to Weston or Taunton.  On the return this links at Bristol to form a 2x5 to Paddington.

Since the automated uncoupling is not working correctly they are being run as 2x5 with a locked out set until Hitachi produce a working system.
Well coupling up seems OK: https://youtu.be/fiitEoXTrbE
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 22:51:39 »

The relevant discussion is towards the bottom of this page:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gwr-intercity-express-train-iep-initial-diagrams-allocations.153431/page-20

I cannot comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the statements, but we know there were reported coupling problems on the first day.

Presumably these teething problems will be quickly sorted.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 22:58:40 »

And your justification for that statement?

Why is it that some people seem to be overly in love with unions and what they do, sorry but what I said is my own personal opinion and the truth.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: