Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:11:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin Trains decision to stop selling Daily Mail, subsequently reversed  (Read 10119 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 12:36:08 »

Been to Liverpool & tried to buy the Sun?

Guess you're unsupportive of that ban then?

Bit off track, but I'd be more supportive were it not for the collective Scouser amnesia when it comes to their antics at Heysel.

In my opinion the Sun is a rag, but I don't think people should be denied the opportunity to buy or read it, whatever the local agenda.

The Morning Star supported the overthrow of the British democratic system & its replacement with Communism, whose regimes were responsible for the deaths of tens of millions, but I still have no problem seeing it on the shelves.

One of the prices we pay for living in a free society is tolerating others views which we may ourselves find distasteful; and occasionally standing up for their rights to have those views where necessary .

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 15:15:31 »

One of the prices we pay for living in a free society is tolerating others views which we may ourselves find distasteful; and occasionally standing up for their rights to have those views where necessary .

Indeed. We may not agree with Virgin Trains' decision, but tolerance is the watchword.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 18:34:14 »

If a major chain of news agents refuse to sell a popular newspaper, then that IMO (in my opinion) is getting a bit too like censorship.

Absolutely.

It gets a bit less clear-cut when a business makes a very limited number of papers available, though. A private hospital might make the Mail and Telegraph available in reception, whilst a cafe on the Gloucester Road would be more likely to offer the i or the Guardian. That's not censorship, it's just the proprietors projecting their own viewpoint or attempting to reflect their customers'.

The relationship between supermarkets and newspapers is more interesting - I would expect them to sell all the most popular titles regardless of their editorial stance, but I certainly would not expect them to advertise in or promote papers which oppose their brand or values. But they do! This comes into sharp focus at Xmas when leading supermarkets air commercials advocating goodwill to all men, whilst advertising in papers that promote othering and general nastiness.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 18:52:06 »

I would generally agree with RS although not sure if Xmas supermarket advertising does really advocate goodwill to all men. Seems more to do with that it's good to consume.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 19:50:35 »

I think we should reflect on the original words from VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) "There’s been considerable concern raised by colleagues about the Mail’s editorial position on issues such as immigration, LGBT rights, and unemployment. We’ve decided that this paper is not compatible with the VT brand and our beliefs. We won’t be stocking the Daily Mail for sale or as a giveaway."

Its obvious that the staff and contractors of VT have raised concerns that the DM counter to the values and beliefs of the company, should we not respect their position obviously the senior management and executive of VT have not taken the decision lightly and it is their business to offer a service within the values they set

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 21:15:12 »

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 21:23:24 by TaplowGreen » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 21:24:42 »

Indeed. We may not agree with Virgin Trains' decision, but tolerance is the watchword.

Which only misses the point  (clearly wilfully) by a mile or two.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 23:07:09 »

Not quite with you there TG. If we tolerate the often abhorrent views in the Daily Mail then equally we must tolerate the views of those who say said views are of considerable concern to their staff, and are not compatible with their company's ethos.

You call it virtue signalling on the part of Virgin. That's your view and you are free to make it.

I disagree. I call it a principled stand against a malignant influence in Britain today.

In the short term, it's unlikely that the Daily Mail's bottom line will be affected. Nor will Virgin's decision change the editorial stance. Longer term, who knows? One can but hope that the print Daily Mail is one of the first to die in a dying industry.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 23:33:32 »

The moral stance storey might have been more credible if they had also announced that they would no longer advertise in the Mail, which is what campaigners had been asking for.

Campaigners have specifically stated they they are not campaigning to stop sale of the Mail etc. , just to get companies to stop funding the papers through adverts. 
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 23:50:18 »

Freedom to express views is one thing.

Freedom to spread misinformation (or to misinform by highly selective coverage) is something else.

No organisation is perfect, but some are worse than others.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:43 »

Freedom to express views is one thing.

Freedom to spread misinformation (or to misinform by highly selective coverage) is something else.

No organisation is perfect, but some are worse than others.

.........and some are just plain hypocritical (........are they still stocking the Guardian, for now?)  Wink

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/nov/10/sir-richard-branson-hypocrite-support-saudi-arabia-tourism-scheme

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 08:38:18 »

Virgin Trains have never stocked The Guardian for sale. Has in the past been complimentary in 1st Class.

Mirror, Times, FT, are sold on board.

And if you're looking for hypocrisy, look no further than Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail. Whilst the paper he edits consistently attacks the EU» (European Union - about), he's been happy to trouser £460,000 since 2011 from the EU's Common Agricultural Policy for his Scottish estate and Sussex farmland. Whilst the paper he edits consistently attacks 'green' energy policies, he's happy to trouser renewable energy subsidies.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:56:47 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:04 »

Virgin Trains have never stocked The Guardian for sale. Has in the past been complimentary in 1st Class.

Mirror, Times, FT, are sold on board.

And if you're looking for hypocrisy, look no further than Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail. Whilst the paper he edits consistently attacks the EU» (European Union - about), he's been happy to trouser £460,000 since 2011 from the EU's Common Agricultural Policy for his Scottish estate and Sussex farmland. Whilst the paper he edits consistently attacks 'green' energy policies, he's happy to trouser renewable energy subsidies.

................they used to give away the Graun and now they sell The Times? Owned by Rupert Murdoch? The same Rupert Murdoch who had to apologise for (amongst other things) a cartoon in one of his newspapers that likened a chimpanzee to President Obama?

...........why, not even the Mail would stoop that low!  Wink

(Tricky, this virtue signalling isn't it?)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:59 »

.........and some are just plain hypocritical (........are they still stocking the Guardian, for now?)  Wink

I think this is a reasonably good example of the false equivalence fallacy.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 09:34:18 »

I think this is a reasonably good example of the false equivalence fallacy.

I'm not suggesting equivalence between the Graun and the Mail, I was merely speculating as to whether Virgin would now stock the Guardian as it (along with many others) printed a story about Beardie investing in the tourist economy of one of the most brutal and repressive regimes on the planet. Widely published elsewhere - it's the hypocrisy that's the issue - some may consider that the antics of the Saudi regime are mildly more distasteful than the front page of the Daily Mail, especially in its treatment of LGBT folks in this context, but naturally views will widely differ.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: