I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:11:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nus Ghani  (Read 3489 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 12, 2018, 16:33:42 »

Nusrat Munir Ul-Ghani  - see [here] appointed as new minister of state at Transport to replace Paul Maynard who has move on the Whip's office.

She represents an East Sussex constituency ... has various degrees in politics and have worked for charities and the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page).  Early days of reading in, but I suspect much of her transport experience is as a user.  I don't yet know if she'll get rail of portfolios will be re-organised within the team.    Whichever .. hops she enjoys transport and makes a good job of it.

Edit to add: Crowborough, Buxted and Uckfield stations??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 17:03:55 »

From her web site - https://www.nusghani.org.uk/campaigns/improving-train-services

Regular, reliable and affordable rail services are crucial for a huge number of my constituents, whether they are commuting into London for work or travelling locally from Uckfield, Buxted, Crowborough, Eridge and Wadhurst.

Securing improvements to the substandard rail services in Wealden is one of my priorities as your MP (Member of Parliament) - I mentioned it in my maiden speech and have spent a considerable proportion of my first few months in Parliament challenging Network Rail and Southern to increase investment and improve their performance.

My approach is two-fold, focused both on existing services and rail infrastructure. With respect to services, what Southern currently offer is unsatisfactory – passengers have to put up with delays, cancellations, short form trains, overcrowding, strikes and poor communication. I firmly believe that passengers do not get what they deserve or pay for and that Southern have a lot of work to do in order to make sure that the service they provide is up to standard.

As a result, I have taken the following actions:

Welcomed an investigation by the Office of Rail and Road into poor punctuality and reliability on Britain's rail network
Expressed my dismay at the poor levels of passenger satisfaction with Southern in the National Rail Passenger Survey, and demanded that Southern listen to the views of their customers
Wrote to the Chief Executive of Southern and the General Secretary of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) Union, urging them to resume their dialogue following the announcement of a strike in July, which was subsequently called off
Spoke in a House of Commons debate on Southern's failure to provide a satisfactory service, urging the Minister for Transport to convene a regular forum at which passengers can raise their concerns directly with the management
Wrote to the Office of Rail and Road and the House of Commons Transport Select Committee, asking each of them to carry out a focused inquiry into the substandard performance of Southern, particularly the failure of its management to communicate effectively with passengers
Wrote to the Secretary of State for Transport following unacceptable service disruption due to staff absence, to seek clarity about the Thameslink Southern and Great Northern Franchise Agreement, and particularly financial incentives and penalties for cancellations
I have called on the Government to set clear targets for Southern and Network Rail, and at a meeting of the South East Quadrant Taskforce I made it clear that it is unreasonable to expect passengers to continue to be patient as promises of improvement are pushed down the track by 6 months, then 12, then 18. I made clear that if those targets are not met, there would be strong arguments in favour of finding an alternative holder of the franchise
I spoke in another House of Commons debate on the performance of Govia Thameslink Railway and Network Rail, and led calls for a Transport Select Committee Inquiry into their failures
I expressed my disappointment that the RMT union decided to go ahead with a strike affecting Southern services, unnecessarily causing huge inconvenience to passengers
On the first day of the five-day strike in August 2016, I spoke to the Transport Secretary to emphasise the extent of the disruption being caused
I secured progress with Southern, who have promised to speed up the use of longer trains and to investigate putting on replacement bus services for any future strike
I called for a compensation scheme to be brought in by the Government, to compensate passengers for the dire service, and welcomed the introduction of the scheme when the Government agreed to it
While welcoming the reorganisation of the way train operating companies are grouped together, I also called for a further refocus on the too oft forgotten Uckfield line
I also believe strongly that rail services can only improve drastically with increased investment in infrastructure. Structural improvements will relieve pressure on the system as a whole and help achieve improvements to services.

My work in this area has included:

Numerous meetings with the Minister for Transport about the structural improvements that would help Wealden
Jointly with Maria Caulfield, MP for Lewes, contributing a submission to a study into the possible reopening of the Uckfield-Lewes line and the proposed Brighton Main Line 2
Constant contact with Network Rail regarding the structural improvements that have already been announced, including securing confirmation about the timetable for platform extensions at numerous stations in Wealden
Attending a rail summit at Network Rail's headquarters at London Bridge, with the Rail Minister and Southern Executives, at which I received assurances that the rolling stock Southern are refurbishing will be ready for use by July 2016
I am keen to impress upon constituents the importance of reporting poor service that they experience. The watchdog Transport Focus (@TransportFocus) collects complaints that are made, and it is these complaints that help to drive improvements. Please do report your experiences, so that they don't slip under the radar without being addressed.

My work on this issue is ongoing, and this page will be updated as developments occur. I am firmly of the belief that the failure of a number of organisations to provide an adequate level of service is unacceptable, a view I have regularly and consistently expressed to relevant officials. I will continue to do so until there is evidence that services have improved.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:19 »

Little bit of unclarity as the dust settles at the Dft - Jo Johnson answering rail questions and "Minister of State".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Johnson

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/minister-admits-value-electrification-great-14164966

Newly appointed Transport Minister Jo Johnson gave a frank account of what had gone wrong with the electrification upgrade

He said the Department for Transport had learned “that we need to make sure that the cost of these projects is properly bottomed-out before we commit to them” and that it “needs to monitor Network Rail much more closely”.

The National Audit Office reported in 2016 that the cost of the modernisation had soared to “£5.58bn, an increase of £2.1bn since 2013”. Journey times between Cardiff and London are due to fall by 15 minutes.

Mr Johnson said costs had been “blowing out of control,” stating:

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:21:54 »

The Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP (Member of Parliament). Secretary of State for Transport.
Jo Johnson MP. Minister of State , Minister for London.
Jesse Norman MP. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Roads, Local Transport and Devolution.
Baroness Sugg CBE. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport.
Nusrat Ghani MP.

at https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport  both Jo Johnson and Nusrat Ghani are described as "Ministerial responsibilities will be confirmed in due course."

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:44:07 »

The Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP (Member of Parliament). Secretary of State for Transport.
Jo Johnson MP. Minister of State , Minister for London.
Jesse Norman MP. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Roads, Local Transport and Devolution.
Baroness Sugg CBE. Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport.
Nusrat Ghani MP.

at https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport  both Jo Johnson and Nusrat Ghani are described as "Ministerial responsibilities will be confirmed in due course."

...............another Famous Five!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 15:58:29 »

Looks like "Rail minister" is Jo Johnson ...

From Network Rail Press Release on Preston to Blackpool upgrade:

Rail Minister Jo Johnson MP (Member of Parliament), said: “I am delighted to see the first section of this vital upgrade complete. This is part of the government’s biggest investment in the network since Victorian times and will mean more seats, better connections, and more reliable journeys for rail passengers.

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) web site gives him

Minister of State for Transport
The minister is responsible for:

Crossrail2
devolution (including Transport for the North)
Northern Powerhouse Rail
rail
rail industrial relations
rail security
smart ticketing

and gives Nus Ghani

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport
The minister is responsible for:

accessibility across all transport modes
buses and taxis
high speed rail (HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)))
maritime
Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)
maritime security
skills and apprenticeships
the Year of Engineering

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: