Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:23:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydrogen Trains  (Read 21842 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 20:47:05 »

Hydrogen? I don't know about that. I recently acquired some early 1930s Cycling magazines and they've filled me with a curious desire for acetylene lighting. Just to try, like.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 22:38:09 »

Hydrogen? I don't know about that. I recently acquired some early 1930s Cycling magazines and they've filled me with a curious desire for acetylene lighting. Just to try, like.

Acetylene is being looked at as one possible end-product of the process to remove CO2 from the atmosphere in the International Space Station. The process being tested with a view to travel to Mars initially produced methane, which was vented to space. It needs hydrogen  to do this, and processing the methane to acetylene ties less hydrogen to the carbon molecules, so needing less to start the process. Simples! Your cyclists were ahead of their time, if they only knew it!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 22:59:43 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 22:48:59 »

Acetylene is being looked at as one possible end-product of the process to remove CO2 from the atmosphere in the International Space Station. The process being tested with a view to travel to Mars initially produced methane, which was vented to space. It needs hydrogen  to do this, and processing the methane to acetylene ties more hydrogen to the carbon molecules, so needing less to start the process. Simples! Your cyclists were ahead of their time, if they only knew it!

I think you mean acetylene ties less hydrogen to the same amount of carbon - one atom per atom, rather than four.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2018, 23:59:32 »

You really must! I have an acetylene bicycle lamp, and it puts out a very good even light. Sadly, it weighs about the same as a modern bicycle... you can even get a fitting to tee off to a rear lamp, via a length of rubber hose. I also used to use an acetylene cap lamp back in my caving days; it had some advantages over the electric lamps most people use (you can usually find water down a cave, and you can carry spare carbide) but climbing wire ladders could be a painful, hand-singeing experience. Happy days...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 12:15:09 »

If you want a more widely fixed distributed energy storage system, for places without suitable mountain-top lakes, Gravitricity are proposing to dangle big weights over deep holes and wind them up and down. Using their numbers (say 2000 Tonnes and 1000 m), a simple sum says the energy stored is relatively modest for one of them, but it still might be helpful.

I'm less convinced when they say it is "guided by a system of tensioned guide wires (patents applied for)" - so very different from the usual way of guiding mineshaft cages, with tensioned wires, then? And what about the vexatious tendency of deep holes in this country to fill up with water, and need continuous pumping? That's always been one of the biggest costs of mining, so I wonder why they say not one word about it?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 15:36:34 by stuving » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 15:32:11 »

a simple sum...

That's easy for you to say! I make the p.e. of the system you describe to be 19620MJ, which I think translates as 5.45MWh or about two hours' output from an offshore wind turbine, by my reckoning. For comparison, a Tesla Powerpack grid storage battery has a capacity of 210kWh, so you'd need about 26 of them to store the same amount of energy. I suspect there's room in this world for doing it either way, plus any one of a thousand others, but the 'clock weight' system could presumably be incorporated into new high-rise buildings at a modest cost.

One of the things I really like about this accelerating movement away from the caveman way of doing things (Me burn stuff! Ug!) is that it's just so much more interesting..!

I won't be offended if anyone wants to challenge my maths!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2018, 22:57:31 »

I think you mean acetylene ties less hydrogen to the same amount of carbon - one atom per atom, rather than four.

So I did! Thanks - I've corrected it.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2018, 23:03:33 »

That's easy for you to say! I make the p.e. of the system you describe to be 19620MJ, which I think translates as 5.45MWh or about two hours' output from an offshore wind turbine, by my reckoning.

I once suffered a rapid decrease in potential energy on the way home from the pub...

Now, please!
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2018, 23:25:39 »

I think Mr Grayling was referring to trains running on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), but his transcript omitted the S.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2018, 23:43:42 »

I once suffered a rapid decrease in potential energy on the way home from the pub...

Once you leave the pub, it's downhill all the way...

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2018, 22:20:41 »

If you want a more widely fixed distributed energy storage system, for places without suitable mountain-top lakes, Gravitricity are proposing to dangle big weights over deep holes and wind them up and down. Using their numbers (say 2000 Tonnes and 1000 m), a simple sum says the energy stored is relatively modest for one of them, but it still might be helpful.

And here's another thing - it goes up instead of down, and when it's stored all the enrgy it can in one weight it just picks up another one. This is from Quartz:
Stacking concrete blocks is a surprisingly efficient way to store energy
Bill Gross, a long-time US entrepreneur, and Andrea Pedretti, a serial Swiss inventor, developed the Energy Vault system that applies this science. Here’s how it works: A 120-meter (nearly 400-foot) tall, six-armed crane stands in the middle. In the discharged state, concrete cylinders weighing 35 metric tons each are neatly stacked around the crane far below the crane arms. When there is excess solar or wind power, a computer algorithm directs one or more crane arms to locate a concrete block, with the help of a camera attached to the crane arm’s trolley.

Energy Vault  Simulation of a large-scale Energy Vault plant.

Once the crane arm locates and hooks onto a concrete block, a motor starts, powered by the excess electricity on the grid, and lifts the block off the ground. Wind could cause the block to move like a pendulum, but the crane’s trolley is programmed to counter the movement. As a result, it can smoothly lift the block, and then place it on top of another stack of blocks—higher up off the ground.

The system is “fully charged” when the crane has created a tower of concrete blocks around it. The total energy that can be stored in the tower is 20 megawatt-hours (MWh), enough to power 2,000 Swiss homes for a whole day.

When the grid is running low, the motors spring back into action—except now, instead of consuming electricity, the motor is driven in reverse by the gravitational energy, and thus generates electricity.

And there's a video of their demonstrator, though it's only doing what any tower crane would.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 23:10:53 »

The Coradia iLint trains mentioned in reply #3 appeared in passenger serrvice on Monday (17/9/18). Publicity for this milestone was pushed quite hard by Alstom, and got a lot of coverage in France (on the grounds Alstom is French, even if the bit in Salzgittern that built the trains isn't). There was a bit of news reporting from outside Europe, but nothing I can see in Britain - despite the first users (allegedly) being Ian and Diana Henry, a "young retired couple from Lower Saxony" (Le Monde).

The date was picked to coincide with with a train trade fair, so it may not be a proper start of service. They currently have just one or two trains, to be followed by 14 more of the 14 trains ordered for delivery by 2021. I guess that means the ones they have been running so far are prototyypes, so this can only be a limited start.

One of the odder comments from Alstom was that their first hydrogen trains in France would be tram-trains, to make it easier to get approval for them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 23:16:05 by stuving » Logged
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2018, 08:19:43 »

You really must! I have an acetylene bicycle lamp, and it puts out a very good even light. Sadly, it weighs about the same as a modern bicycle... you can even get a fitting to tee off to a rear lamp, via a length of rubber hose. I also used to use an acetylene cap lamp back in my caving days; it had some advantages over the electric lamps most people use (you can usually find water down a cave, and you can carry spare carbide) but climbing wire ladders could be a painful, hand-singeing experience. Happy days...

I still have my caving carbide lamp somewhere.  It was lovely and gave a special ambience to being underground, although soot stained stalagmites were a possibility at times.  Happy days
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 04:13:44 »

In promoting this Grayling seems to be ignoring the high cost of producing hydrogen as well as the possible safety issues relating to a high pressure container of highly flammable gas.  Is he clutching at straws to justify his stance on electification?

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) yesterday

Trains powered by hydrogen could be a reality in the UK (United Kingdom) by the "early 2020s", according to Transport Secretary Chris Grayling.

They're seen as a cleaner - but pricier - alternative to diesel trains, as the exhaust emission is pure water.

The BBC's Roger Harrabin reports from Germany, where hydrogen trains are already running.
29 Oct 2018

Has technology move on in the last month to answer questions like:

1. How will the hydrogen be economically prepared?

2. More costly - in initial purchase or running, and who's going to pay?

3. Will timetables need to be altered to give refuelling time?

4. Will heavier trains mean they can't be used on some lighter branches?

5. Will the bigger on-train plant fit into the UK loading gauge?

6. Will in be safe?

Or are we relying  on research to solve some or all of those?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 13:40:31 »

If Grayling is promoting the concept, his track record means that there must be a serious flaw in it. 

Actually running hydrogen powered trains is not a bad idea.  What is not being answered is how the hydrogen is prepared (to use Grahame's word) and what environmental impact that has.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: