Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:23:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Through Journeys on the Trans Wilts  (Read 3728 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:44:53 »

Yesterday I caught the 07:50 train from Swindon to Cheltenham and as I walked along P3 as to reach P2 I was interested that the shear number of people who had got off made it difficult to walk along the platform.  I had assumed that everyone had got off and it was essentially a new service to Cheltenham.

However, in the evening I caught the return 1741 Cheltenham to Southampton Train as far as Swindon.  As I, like most of the passengers, got off at Swindon I was interested in that fact that there were quite a few who did not who were therefore travelling onwards to - somewhere? 

This is all the more interesting given that the 17:32 departure from the same platform at Cheltenham goes to westbury via Bristol and Bath, so presumably anyone going to Trowbridge or Westbury from Cheltenham or Gloucester would have caught that train. 

Since the Golden Valley Trains are all going to be Paddington Trains in future, how much through traffic is there? And what are the origins and destinations?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:11:52 »

Yesterday I caught the 07:50 train from Swindon to Cheltenham and as I walked along P3 as to reach P2 I was interested that the shear number of people who had got off made it difficult to walk along the platform.  I had assumed that everyone had got off and it was essentially a new service to Cheltenham.

However, in the evening I caught the return 1741 Cheltenham to Southampton Train as far as Swindon.  As I, like most of the passengers, got off at Swindon I was interested in that fact that there were quite a few who did not who were therefore travelling onwards to - somewhere? 

This is all the more interesting given that the 17:32 departure from the same platform at Cheltenham goes to westbury via Bristol and Bath, so presumably anyone going to Trowbridge or Westbury from Cheltenham or Gloucester would have caught that train. 

Since the Golden Valley Trains are all going to be Paddington Trains in future, how much through traffic is there? And what are the origins and destinations?

Although it's a hideous dogleg, there is a noticable bunch of passengers Trowbridge / Melksham / Chippenham to Kemble (in particular) and beyond. Quite a "green" college and employment culture in the Cirencester area.

The evening train from Cheltenham Spa via Swidnon to Westbury and beyond leaves Cheltenham after the train that runs via Bristol, but overtakes it and gets to Westbury first.  It then waits at Westbury for the train via Bristol to catch up and have onward passengers make a connection, so at first glance you could thing that the Bristol service gets to Westbury first (to make the connection) rather than the Swindon one.

Glad you noticed that significant flow of passngers to Swindon / changing at Swindon on the 07:04 from Westbury - and that's not even the busiest tran!

P.S. The change at Swindon will probably NOT loose us too many of the through passengers to Kemble.  But those who take their bicycles will be severely inconvenienced if they have to start booking cycle places for 2 journeys a day!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 18:06:35 »

Didn't quite know where to put this so mods please move if wanted.

Quote on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum:
Platform extension underway at Trowbridge (down platform) and Freshford to take 5 car formations. Vegetation has been cleared at the north end of Melksham in preparation of the lengthening of the platform to accommodate a 3 car formation. Dilton Marsh is in the process of being lengthened to accommodate a 2 car formation. As mentioned, not to call orders issued for class 166 trains not equipped with modified local door controls at Avoncliff, Chetnole, Dilton Marsh and Thornford. Mottisfont & Dunbridge now has 'Local Guard Door Release' signs for 16x traction so unmodified class 166 units cannot be given a Special Stop Order for there when the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service has been cancelled.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 18:19:36 »

Mottisfont & Dunbridge now has 'Local Guard Door Release' signs for 16x traction so unmodified class 166 units cannot be given a Special Stop Order for there when the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service has been cancelled.

Is that statement correct ?

If 'Local Guard Door Release' signs have been erected at the stated station surely unmodified class 155's can be given a SSO in the circumstances quoted !!!!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 18:21:32 »

Finger trouble, 166's.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 18:36:20 »

Mottisfont & Dunbridge now has 'Local Guard Door Release' signs for 16x traction so unmodified class 166 units cannot be given a Special Stop Order for there when the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service has been cancelled.

If 'Local Guard Door Release' signs have been erected at the stated station surely unmodified class 155's can be given a SSO in the circumstances quoted !!!!

Finger trouble, 166's.

I suspect that the statement is wrong.    Not sure about the situation at Mottisfont or at Dean .. and special stop orders for them are quite rare anyway.

On the regular lines, Stonehouse and Melksham have special arrangements in place and any 166 can call.  Chetnole, Thornford, Dilton Marsh and Avoncliff cannot be served by 166 units that have not yet had the SDO (Selective Door Opening) mod done; the number of such units available has increased from 3 to 5 (?) now ... and will carry on increasing, but it won't have been done to all the 166 units for several months yet.

Passenger numbers at Chetnole and Thornford are very low - they should not be missed but there's no big stink.   Dilton Marsh has 4 times the number of recorded passenger journeys of Chetnole and Thornford together (and a significant revenue leakage problem!) and a service with such massive gaps that people get really upset if they get skipped.   IMHO (in my humble opinion), Dilton Marsch could have the same treatment is Melksham and Stonehouse, but that has been ruled out on safety grounds.  Avoncliff there is a safety issue in the Bristol direction due to signal spacing and the canal aqueduct too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 18:39:22 »

Finger trouble, 166's.

I suspect that the statement is wrong.    Not sure about the situation at Mottisfont or at Dean .. and special stop orders for them are quite rare anyway.

On the regular lines, Stonehouse and Melksham have special arrangements in place and any 166 can call.  Chetnole, Thornford, Dilton Marsh and Avoncliff cannot be served by 166 units that have not yet had the SDO (Selective Door Opening) mod done; the number of such units available has increased from 3 to 5 (?) now ... and will carry on increasing, but it won't have been done to all the 166 units for several months yet.

Passenger numbers at Chetnole and Thornford are very low - they should not be missed but there's no big stink.   Dilton Marsh has 4 times the number of recorded passenger journeys of Chetnole and Thornford together (and a significant revenue leakage problem!) and a service with such massive gaps that people get really upset if they get skipped.   IMHO (in my humble opinion), Dilton Marsch could have the same treatment is Melksham and Stonehouse, but that has been ruled out on safety grounds.  Avoncliff there is a safety issue in the Bristol direction due to signal spacing and the canal aqueduct too.

That was my original post that has been lifted from WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) and the statement regarding Mottisfont & Dunbridge IS correct!
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 18:42:01 »

Unmodified class 166 units do not have the local door controls fitted so no is the answer.
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 18:56:05 »

I suspect that there is some confusion regarding the 'Guard Local Door Release' signs. At short platform stations such as Avoncliff, Dilton Marsh and Mottisfont & Dunbridge, the sign can be found at the end of the platform, meaning that the FRONT carriage of the train is stopped next to the platform. At these stations, the guard has to walk through the train to the leading coach to use the local door controls in that vehicle. If there are no local door controls fitted, the train is unable to call at the station.

A different temporary method of operation is in place at Melksham and Stonehouse. The stop car and 'Guard Local Door Release' signs are positioned so that the REAR carriage of the train is stopped adjacent to the platform. The guard exits the train by the cab crew door and operates a passenger door by using the external door emergency egress valve from the platform. The benefit of this method is that any type of class 166 can call at the station, regardless of whether the train has been fitted with modified local door controls.

Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 20:06:42 »

Thanks for the explanation RA, it seems barmey to me that with the simple solution of driving a new pole into the drivers side of the PW (Permanent Way) at a measured distance from the platform with a STOP HERE notice to drivers which means the rear cab crew door is on the platform hasn't been done already at the stations affected. Removal of the currently platform located signs in these circumstances is taken as read. I'm sure it could be done on all stations affected at the rate of one station per night between the last train of the day and the first of the next day rather than make pax using the likes of Dilton Marsh wait months for the 166's to be modified.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 20:10:41 »

It is all a bit of an adventure at the moment.   I was on a three car 158 the other day and it’s the FRONT coach on those at Melksham.  Confused the regulars!
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 20:17:38 »

Thanks for the explanation RA, it seems barmey to me that with the simple solution of driving a new pole into the drivers side of the PW (Permanent Way) at a measured distance from the platform with a STOP HERE notice to drivers which means the rear cab crew door is on the platform hasn't been done already at the stations affected. Removal of the currently platform located signs in these circumstances is taken as read. I'm sure it could be done on all stations affected at the rate of one station per night between the last train of the day and the first of the next day rather than make pax using the likes of Dilton Marsh wait months for the 166's to be modified.

I completely agree. With the exception of the down Bath bound platform at Avoncliff (automatic signal just beyond the platform and no space for a stop sign in the restricted arch underneath the canal) and less importantly the down Salisbury bound platform at Dunbridge (stop signal protecting a level crossing that remains at red until the train has stopped), it just requires a post to be stuck in the cess approximately 2 carriage lengths beyond the platforms (as per Melksham) to allow 166 trains to call regardless of door modifications.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 20:37:20 »

What about this solution. Unmodified 166's to approach the short platform stations concerned at very slow speed and when rear cab crew door platforms guard gives a one bell on the buzzer and the driver stops almost instantaineously, or paint  'STOP HERE' on a sleeper in lieu of a sign if there is no room to locate a sign.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 20:46:50 »

I completely agree. With the exception of the down Bath bound platform at Avoncliff (automatic signal just beyond the platform and no space for a stop sign in the restricted arch underneath the canal) and less importantly the down Salisbury bound platform at Dunbridge (stop signal protecting a level crossing that remains at red until the train has stopped), it just requires a post to be stuck in the cess approximately 2 carriage lengths beyond the platforms (as per Melksham) to allow 166 trains to call regardless of door modifications.

That now makes four people who have suggested that (here and away from the forum). However, the two stations that were done were intended for a very short period and at a minimum of stations to reduce the risk of doing the procedure too many times. Requests to do it at more stations have been turned down by the decision maker, and some staff are concerned at using the method even at Melksham and Stonehouse.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 20:54:39 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: