I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:47:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does the South West begin?  (Read 7119 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 13:20:29 »

The far south west could be justified as IoS, Cornwall and Devon, with the south west extending to Somerset and Dorset.  Bristol likes to brand itself as West of England, though you can argue that Gloucestershire (and so BANES) would be south west, as beyond that is the Midlands. 

Berkshire and Oxfordshire are Home Counties, so that nudges Wiltshire in to south west. 

Hampshire and IoW are the south.

Surrey, Middlesex, Sussex and Kent are south east.

Westcountry would be defined as per the ITV franchise!

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 13:34:48 »

According to this map, Cardiff, Chepstow, Gloucester, Worcester, Great Malvern and all points between are also apparently in the South West
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 13:40:41 by PhilWakely » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 13:38:15 »

Then again, Gloucestershire used to come under the Midlands Electricity Board. Also Severn-Trent Water, which would also indicate Midlands. Worcester is Midlands (or is it?) and Gloucester is associated with it through the Three Choirs Festival. Also, Offa's Dyke runs through Gloucestershire and Offa was King of Mercia, not Wessex. Perhaps this indicates that historically Gloucestershire was more connected with the Midlands but now more with the (South) West (of England).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 14:26:51 »

Then again, Gloucestershire used to come under the Midlands Electricity Board. Also Severn-Trent Water, which would also indicate Midlands. Worcester is Midlands (or is it?) and Gloucester is associated with it through the Three Choirs Festival. Also, Offa's Dyke runs through Gloucestershire and Offa was King of Mercia, not Wessex. Perhaps this indicates that historically Gloucestershire was more connected with the Midlands but now more with the (South) West (of England).

When Offa was King of Mercia, he ruled much of Wessex, at other times Wessex was much larger and the border was further North. 

Severn Trent Water's boundary is based on the catchment of the two rivers in its title so not really relevant.

However Gloucester does have some historic links with the Midlands
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 14:52:06 »

My usual flippant answer is that "The West" starts about 20 miles to the west of where you live ... if you live in Taunton, "The West" starts at Tiverton but if you live in Frome, Taunton is in "The West" though you are not.  I live in Melksham - that's not in the West, but Frome is.  No doubt we may have member or two here living in Swindon who will tell me that Melksham is in The West.

In all seriousness, Travelwatch SouthWest has had to define "The South West" and there's a map showing what it means at http://travelwatchsouthwest.org/about-us/

Our “South West” comprises the counties of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, and Somerset and the unitary authorities of Bath and North East Somerset, Bournemouth, Bristol, North Somerset, Plymouth, Poole, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, Torbay and Wiltshire.

You'll note the map has a somewhat jagged border, since there's logic in aligning passenger transport zones of interest with the zones of the passenger transport authorities (PTAs (Passenger Transport Authority)), and there are arguable distortions.    Taking Wiltshire and looking at economic zones and commutes,  Pewsey and Bedwyn face towards London so perhaps they belong in the Home Counties / South East?  Looking at watersheds, Pewsey belongs in the South West as it drains via the Bristol Avon, but Bedwyn belongs in the Home Counties, draining via the Thames through London. ...

There is a serious issue to this question where travel and transport are organised by region ... and journeys across between regions get scant attention ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 15:17:52 »

When Offa was King of Mercia, he ruled much of Wessex, at other times Wessex was much larger and the border was further North. 

Severn Trent Water's boundary is based on the catchment of the two rivers in its title so not really relevant.

However Gloucester does have some historic links with the Midlands
It's quite well known that Cirencester was a Roman capital of Britain (briefly) but not that Malmesbury has a claim to being the first capital of a united England. It's interesting to speculate why this might be.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 17:12:25 »

The enthusiasm, nay fervour on display within this thread to be considered as part of the South West really is quite moving..............I guess those of us lucky enough to have been born in Devon or Cornwall, the true South West, will just have to get used to others aspiring to be as blessed as us!  Wink
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 18:39:40 »

I live in Bristol twenty miles to the left of me is either Wet or Welsh 🙂
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 19:19:23 »

When I was at school - a mere lad in short trousers - I was taught that the south west comprised Cornwall, Devon, Dorset & Somerset.  I lived in west Dorset and my geography teacher was from Cornwall.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 22:05:08 »

To some in Bristol, the north apparently starts at Filton. I understand better, the north starts at the Almondsbury motorway intersection! ☺
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 23:25:00 »

National rails idea of the south west, as deemed by the freedom of the southwest, and perhaps the most relevant answer for the railway.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/promotions/Freedom_of_South_West_3.pdf

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 21:11:25 »

Even the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are occasionally unsure as to which counties are in the South West:

BBC apologises over Escape to the Country's Devon Dorset mix-up

The BBC has apologised after Escape to the Country incorrectly labelled Devon and Dorset on one of its graphics in Monday's programme, describing it as an "honest mistake".

"The incorrect labelling of Dorset and Devon on the map was an honest mistake for which we apologise, and we will ensure this is corrected in future broadcast versions of the episode."

BBC spokeswoman

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 19:18:07 »

Bedwyn was the western extent of the NSE (Network South East) ares doen the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury), so a good reasn to say that West thereof is south-west, while Bedwyn forms the western extent of the Home Counties?
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 19:36:20 »

The South-West is the contiguous area in which you can be reliably sure of finding a pub which sells proper cider. (Wetherspoons doesn't count.)
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 18:35:25 »

When I was at school - a mere lad in short trousers - I was taught that the south west comprised Cornwall, Devon, Dorset & Somerset.  I lived in west Dorset and my geography teacher was from Cornwall.

This is my view, too. Wiltshire, Bristol & Gloucestershire are more "The West" rather than "The South West" for me.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: