Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:52:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Wiltshire - SWR and RMT discussion this morning  (Read 3278 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:17 »

Very interesting series of interviews - Andy Mellors (SWR» (South Western Railway - about)), Mick Tosh (RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)), Paul Clifton (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)) and our Bobm.  Don't need to listen all the way through - hear the start, then jump to 30 minutes and 1 hour of 30 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05rdtyt

Personal view - on the face of it, the dispute largely comes down to trust, with SWR suggesting there will always be a second person on the train who will always look out for the safety of the passengers first and foremost, and the RMT saying that's what they want too.  

The difference stems from the SWR suggestion that is there's a last minute problem with providing that second person (e.g. (s)he has got held up on their previous service) that the train - in the London Suburban area - can start without that second person.  The RMT see that as potentially the thin end of the wedge; there seems a lack of trust of SWR's statement that this is only planned to happen when there's a last minute issue.

Of course, we have seen situations where something occasional becomes more common place than we would like.  Taking a wider and longer view, it seems like a question of trust.  And it seems it's not only SWR, bearing in mind that four other train operators are involved in industrial action with similarities today.   In the case of SWR, the trains that there's disagreement over don't come into service for a further 18 months, and I do wonder if there are other ways that the parties could work towards a common agreement without actions on either side that damage the case for rail - its passengers, its staff and its companies - into the future.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 14:36:22 »

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) have only one position in this dispute, and won't *negotiate* - it's their position or none.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 19:01:32 »

Of course, we have seen situations where something occasional becomes more common place than we would like.

Is that the royal 'we'?

DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) has been with us for over 30 years on the national network. Why shouldn't it become more commonplace? New trains have more and better safety systems then those currently running DOO.

I've never bought the 'safety' argument put forth by the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers). The RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) have shown that to be spurious. I understand the RMT wishing to protect jobs. They have that guaranteed for the life of the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) franchise.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 19:10:06 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 19:11:35 »

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) have only one position in this dispute, and won't *negotiate* - it's their position or none.

Is that an opinion or do you have inside sources that tell you that authoritatively?

DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) has been with us for over 30 years on the national network. Why shouldn't it become more commonplace? New trains have more and better safety systems then those currently running DOO.

In my opinion, the lack of trust is not helped by the prosecutions of rail staff following incidents on Merseyside and at Hayes. 

I thought the idea of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) was that we should get away from a blame culture to one of finding the ways of preventing accidents.  Instead it has become as well as prosecutions. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 19:35:09 »

Of course, we have seen situations where something occasional becomes more common place than we would like.
Is that the royal 'we'?

Not intended to be taken as such. I have seen situations (nothing to do with trains) where something occasional becomes  more common than I would like.  And I suspect you (dear reader)  could think of such a situation in your life, making it "we".

Did you tell your Mum that you liked ... [ mashed potatoes / peas / bananas / anchovies ] ... and found that you got them so often you got tired of them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 20:23:42 »

Possibly for reasons similar to those that explain the presence of trained staff on commercial aircraft?

I'm quite happy for the on-train staff to be serving teas or selling tickets - as long as a safety-trained presence is there for times of emergency.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 20:33:11 »

Unfortunately, thats not good enough for the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers). They rejected that at Southern, although they wanted to go driver only in disruption too, so a complication
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 21:18:38 »

In my opinion, the lack of trust is not helped by the prosecutions of rail staff following incidents on Merseyside and at Hayes. 

I thought the idea of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) was that we should get away from a blame culture to one of finding the ways of preventing accidents.  Instead it has become as well as prosecutions. 

I'm not quite sure why you are linking the RAIB to prosecutions. They don't apportion blame, nor say yay or nay to prosecutions.

Where's there's a suspicion that someone was at fault to the extent of criminality, it's right that the relevant bodies (Police, Health & Safety Executive, Crown Prosecution Service) investigate and, if necessary, charge.

Those investigations are needed to ensure public confidence. The Merseyside incident resulted in a guilty verdict. Hayes incident, not guilty. Both correct verdicts based on all the evidence.

What has trust between union and TOC (Train Operating Company) got to do with investigating possible criminal acts?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 22:09:56 »

I'm not quite sure why you are linking the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) to prosecutions. They don't apportion blame, nor say yay or nay to prosecutions.

Where's there's a suspicion that someone was at fault to the extent of criminality, it's right that the relevant bodies (Police, Health & Safety Executive, Crown Prosecution Service) investigate and, if necessary, charge.

Those investigations are needed to ensure public confidence. The Merseyside incident resulted in a guilty verdict. Hayes incident, not guilty. Both correct verdicts based on all the evidence.

What has trust between union and TOC (Train Operating Company) got to do with investigating possible criminal acts?

Agreed. The RAIB, like the AAIB (Air Accident Investigation Branch), is there to examine the evidence of an accident, to the end of helping to make sure that no-one else makes the same mistake. Names are not mentioned, although "driver/pilot" is an obvious pointer. The law enforcement agencies examine much the same evidence to the end establishing if any laws were broken, and if so, by whom, to enable the Crown Prosecution Service to press charges against wrongdoers. I am not aware of any case where evidence gathered or opinions expressed by an investigating branch has been presented as evidence in a criminal prosecution.

Of course, the same evidence will often be gathered by the two different investigatory agencies, but the interpretation of that is different. Suppose an accident occurs whilst a driver is opening a chocolate bar. The evidence is clear, as a video recording shows the driver diverting his gaze from the window to the recalcitrant wrapper.

The RAIB find that the accident happened because the driver's attention was diverted, and recommends that TOCs issue rules to forbid the opening of food packaging while controlling a moving train.

BTP (British Transport Police) find that the accident happened because the driver's attention was diverted, and consider whether this constitutes a criminal action or omission in breach of any law.

Trust between unions and TOCs is not an issue in either case. The union may support the driver in any negotiations as to his continued employment, and/or provide legal assistance.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 22:50:56 »

I'm not quite sure why you are linking the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) to prosecutions. They don't apportion blame, nor say yay or nay to prosecutions.

I was not.  I was pointing out the fact that even though the RAIB was created to get to the truth in a no blame context, there still continues to be culture of criminal investigation first and to prosecute someone who is found to be at fault without considering the wider circumstances.  That rather defeats the object of the setting up the RAIB in the first place. 

The prosecution of the railway staff at Hayes in particular has poisoned any debate over further DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) heavily use suburban services.  If the reaction been one of trying to make the system work better instead, then a debate might have been possible. 

Remember where the unions have come from.  One of ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)'s first acts when newly formed was to employ a KC to defend a driver who was put on a manslaughter charge after the Hexthorpe rail accident in 1887.  The KC was able to show that it was the failings in the way the company worked that made it impossible for the driver to do his job safely. 

So rather than try and fix the problem of safe DOO train dispatch from platforms, we prosecute staff who make a mistake when trying to do a difficult job not made easier by the tools they have been given.  Why are we then surprised when staff (drivers and guards) resist further DOO?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:01:37 »

I was not.  I was pointing out the fact that even though the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) was created to get to the truth in a no blame context, there still continues to be culture of criminal investigation first

In the Hayes incident the criminal investigation and prosecution came after the RAIB investigation. The incident was July 2015, RAIB were informed a month later. Their report was published June 2016. The driver's first court appearance was January 2017.

With that time line I find it difficult to believe that the criminal investigation came first. Especially as it was a full month before the RAIB was even informed of the incident.

So rather than try and fix the problem of safe DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) train dispatch from platforms, we prosecute staff who make a mistake when trying to do a difficult job not made easier by the tools they have been given.  Why are we then surprised when staff (drivers and guards) resist further DOO?

That's opinion not borne out by evidence. In their report into the Hayes incident the RAIB said, "we have found no evidence to suggest that driver only operated trains cannot be dispatched safely."

That report also mentions eight recent incidents where train dispatch was a factor. Four of those occurred when despatch was carried out by a second member of staff.

Both the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) have carried out extensive investigations into the safety of DOO. They've both concluded that, when the correct procedures are followed, DOO is a safe method of train operation.

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) should concentrate on protecting the jobs of its members, in the very limited number of cases where redundancies are expected. They can't truly believe that the RAIB, RSSB, ORR are all wrong on DOO safety can they?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: