05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:26:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Devizes 52-year wait for train station could end  (Read 42602 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 09:15:56 »

Could I ask where is the planned new station "facilities" are planned car park taxi rank bus/s turn round?

Will it be a single sided access station or access from both sides

From devizes.org.uk

I'm seeing buses, car parking, and an airstrip.  Nothing marked for taxis, kiss and ride, or cycles (but that could be due to scale).  All facilities on northern side with footbridge (ramps) to access a platform on south side.

Plans can obviously be revised as subsequent iterations; MP (Member of Parliament) is talking of community engagement and this being the beginning of the process.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 09:44:49 »

The airstrip is an existing facility. Not sure how much it is used

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 12:03:37 »

Seems like an awfully long access road to accommodate an easily relocated grass airstrip, or are there noise/braking/sighting issues that place the station site so far from the main road? An interesting rail-air interchange  Grin.

Would TonyK like to comment on a 400 capacity carpark in the airstrip undershoot/overshoot?
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 15:34:41 »

Seems like an awfully long access road to accommodate an easily relocated grass airstrip, or are there noise/braking/sighting issues that place the station site so far from the main road? An interesting rail-air interchange  Grin.

A quick look at the OS (Ordnance Survey) (and some knowledge of the area) shows that there is a quite steep but short cutting in the vicinity of the bridge. Siting the station as proposed would save digging lumps out of that to provide platform and road access/parking space.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 17:15:36 »

A quick look at the OS (Ordnance Survey) (and some knowledge of the area) shows that there is a quite steep but short cutting in the vicinity of the bridge. Siting the station as proposed would save digging lumps out of that to provide platform and road access/parking space.

Agreed - it does make sense.  The original Berks and Hants line from Newbury via Hungerford and Pewsey ran to Devizes (opened 1862) then in 1900 a cutoff was opened from a new station at Patney and Chirton (where the minor road crosses the railway on the right of this map), falling and through a cutting before bearing off to the left.

There would indeed be a fair chunk of digging out to get platforms down onto the line near the A342, and as the cutting was not built until after the end of broad gauge, the cutting is only standard gauge width - no extra slack .   Even the selected site is only halfway from the A342 to Patney and Chirton

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:05 »

TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) understands that, subject to any last minute changes, ITV West will broadcast a news item on the Devizes Gateway station this evening. It was filmed about two weeks ago. The program starts at 6 p.m.

"This" being 7th July 2020 for anyone who comes back to my quote out of context at a later date.  Link to

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/18471455.devizes-wins-government-cash-train-station-project/

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 12:27:01 »

Hopefully it will be opened by the Wurzels in due course, with a cafe selling hot meat pies and cider.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 15:56:37 »

The Wurzels belong to Somerset ! Why not try raking in a few Moonrakers instead?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 16:48:59 »

I doubt there's room for more than one Space Shuttle.🤔
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 18:03:27 »

ITV West covering the story on tuesday evening,available on channel 33 at 19:00pm as well.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 20:33:25 »

The Wurzels belong to Somerset ! Why not try raking in a few Moonrakers instead?
But they did immortalise Devizes, I think more because of the opportunity for rhyming with it than it's rather loose association with the West Country proper.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 20:55:39 »

But they did immortalise Devizes, I think more because of the opportunity for rhyming with it than it's rather loose association with the West Country proper.

That doesn't surprise me - but then again, I never get surprises!  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2020, 20:56:14 »

I was thinking more of a limerick with prizes and sizes.

The piece on ITV was a good one - and excellent to see that they found only people who thought it was a good idea on Devizes Market (mainly because it IS a good idea).    Nothing like local unanimous support to make the civil servants and ministers feel comfortable helping it move forward.   Good for Devizes (and so unlike elements of the local sentiment at some others places including one I was discussing with a member on the phone this afternoon).

Interesting to hear "we don't have public transport" from one exponent of the scheme and "buses to Trowbridge or Swindon are a real downer" from another.   The second was right and the station WOULD be used (and probably abstract very little).  Perhaps the first is too upper class to lower herself to a bus.  A third person commented that using public transport for her means driving to Great Bedwyn.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2020, 11:02:40 »

Reading the Wiltshire Times article I had to smile at the statement "within five years", if the progress on Portway Parkway is anything to go by you might want to add a zero to the five but then being Wiltshire it could happen because it's not Bristol !!!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2020, 11:38:21 »

Reading the Wiltshire Times article I had to smile at the statement "within five years", if the progress on Portway Parkway is anything to go by you might want to add a zero to the five but then being Wiltshire it could happen because it's not Bristol !!!!

It's within the election cycle, with a conservative council, a conservative MP (Member of Parliament) who's part of the inner circle, at a time of a conservative government, on a line with a service that could stop there, a strong local sentiment, ticks climate change and integrated transport boxes, and has what looks to me like a good business case.  The ducks might be in a line. Mind - it would be the first (re)opening in Wiltshire since 1985.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: