Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:17:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: East Coast rail franchise - ongoing discussion  (Read 16257 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 14:09:15 »

A question might be why it is that the East Coast seems the most problematic for a bidder to get 'right' compared to the others considering the relative number of failures and terminations of contracts over the years.

The relatively low percentage of season tickets amongst its users means it has an unusually low captive 'base load' of income but it can't be the only factor. Maybe the demand is quite elastic relating to price, so any attempts to increase the average price of Advances for example as has anecdotally happened just doesn't raise the expected additional revenue as people use other forms of transport.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 14:28:55 »

What is being forgotten is that the bids & analysis were done on the basis that NR» (Network Rail - home page) (a nationalised company, thus HMG really) would upgrade the ECML (East Coast Main Line) to allow additional services be run by the franchisee - thus additional revenue would be generated. NR now say this work is undeliverable in the promised timescale, thus it is HMGs default that has led to Stagecoach being unable to deliver promised returns to HMG.

No one can be sure that Stagecoach overbid, as the work needed to be done & the new improved timetable run to see if they did.

Also, Virgin only has a 10% interest in the East Coast - but a majority interest in the West Coast, where they are doing really quite well. I think we ought to be referring to Stagecoach/Brian Souter here, not Virgin/Branson.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 15:55:40 »

As I understood from the material presented yesterday the issues had arisen earlier in the contract period before the lack of completed upgrades came into consideration. No doubt they would have made things worse later on. Supposedly the premium schedule was front- and back-end loaded, presumably with a lull whilst the works were ongoing.

It was noticeable that Stagecoach was the prominent name yesterday which may have had many scratching their heads with the public face having been Virgin.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 18:19:29 »

What is being forgotten is that the bids & analysis were done on the basis that NR» (Network Rail - home page) (a nationalised company, thus HMG really) would upgrade the ECML (East Coast Main Line) to allow additional services be run by the franchisee - thus additional revenue would be generated. NR now say this work is undeliverable in the promised timescale, thus it is HMGs default that has led to Stagecoach being unable to deliver promised returns to HMG.

No one can be sure that Stagecoach overbid, as the work needed to be done & the new improved timetable run to see if they did.

Also, Virgin only has a 10% interest in the East Coast - but a majority interest in the West Coast, where they are doing really quite well. I think we ought to be referring to Stagecoach/Brian Souter here, not Virgin/Branson.

Stagecoach did overbid, its why the franchise was cut back by 3 years in 2017. It was even stated so on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News website.  Yes Stagecoach have the majority stake, but its the Virgin brand on the trains, website & station. Stagecoach are normally very competent at running trains i.e South West Trains so I can hardly see it is an issue with them.

The main problem is that the East Coast route is travelling to some poorer parts of the UK (United Kingdom), also regional airlines are taking a lot of passengers, being faster and cheaper. Myself I think the East Coast route should include Great Northern local services, and Northern services around York & Newcastle, allowing feeder services to better connect with high speed Kings Cross trains. As has and is being done on GWR (Great Western Railway), which has helped it increase revenue massively in the last few years.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 20:15:10 »

Stagecoach got into financial difficulty before most of the promised infrastructure enhancements were due to be delivered. Due later in Control Period 5 (2018-2019) and into Control Period 6 (from 2019 onward).

Stagecoach got their predictions wrong for the early years of the franchise, before there was ever an opportunity to run additional services to generate more revenue. They over bid, pure and simple. Blaming Network Rail is a smokescreen that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The following correspondence between the Transport Select Committee and Network Rail sheds light on what was promised and when it was due to be delivered. Franchise bidders were appraised of all aspects of proposed enhancements and the dates they were due.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/transport/Letter-from-Chair-to-Network-Rail-re-East-Coast-Mainline-with-response-attached-15-01-2018.pdf

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 20:21:14 »

Totally agree, NR» (Network Rail - home page) can’t be held responsible for this one.

Wonder where this leaves First’s plan for their Open access London-Edinburgh service? Bit risky if you ask me.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 20:24:01 »

Totally agree, NR» (Network Rail - home page) can’t be held responsible for this one.

Wonder where this leaves First’s plan for their Open access London-Edinburgh service? Bit risky if you ask me.

I believe they only did that because they lost the franchise competition, the question is whether the government takes it into private hands until 2023, or keeps it until 2019, then puts out a new tender for the franchise.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 22:13:11 »

Andrew has been at it some more today !
So I'll just leave this here.
https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/lord-adonis-demolition-chris-grayling-devastating/.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 03:52:57 »

Some savings were made with the new website:

http://www.virgintrainseastcoast.uk/VTEC.htm

Grin Grin Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 11:10:53 »

I seem to remember a few year's back, correct me if am wrong, First Group were awarded the
 West Coast mainline franchise.

Was there  an appeal by Branson that First Group's bid was 'unsustainable', or am I incorrect ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 16:35:38 by Henry » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 11:59:11 »

I seem to remember a few year's back, correct me if am wrong, First Group were awarded the
 West Coast mainline franchise.

Was there  an appeal by Branson that First Group's bid was 'unstatainable', or am I incorrect ?

Yes, FG were awarded the franchise. Branson appealed and if I remember rightly cited the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) specification being inaccurate and so it proved and the award recinded. Probably was unsustainable and lead to FG handing back the keys but then, FG handed back the keys to the GW (Great Western) franchise when they FGW (First Great Western) were due to hand the DfT a slug of money as per the franchise payment schedule.

I forecast they would do that as when I looked at the figures and saw that in the 6th or 7th year of the Alison Forster franchise FGW were due to hand the DfT MORE than FG's TOTAL profits for the latest years accounts that were available at the time. I cant remember what year it was but remember the current GWR (Great Western Railway) franchise is an amalgamation of the original Great Western franchise, plus Thames Trains, later Great Western Link, and the west part of Wales and West Trains, later Wessex Trains.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 21:14:24 »

The difference between the East Coast incidents of 'handing back the keys' and FGW (First Great Western) was that in the FGW's case they merely exercised a break clause already written into the contract. Therefore FGW did not btreach its contract.  On East Coast NEX (National Express - parent company of Wessex Trains) and now, it appears, Stagecoach/Virgin are in breach of contract. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 02:11:12 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Stagecoach East Coast deal to be probed by MPs (Member of Parliament)

The decision to end the East Coast Mainline rail franchise early is to come under scrutiny from MPs.

The Department for Transport has said Stagecoach and Virgin will withdraw from running the service within months after running into difficulties.

Now the House of Commons transport committee has announced that it will hold an inquiry into the matter.

Lilian Greenwood, who chairs the committee, said lessons needed to be learned from the failure.

Last week, Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said Stagecoach had "got its numbers wrong" and would continue running the London to Edinburgh line only for "a small number of months and no more".

He said the government might step in to run the service, adding that the day-to-day operation of the line would be unaffected.

The National Audit Office has already announced it will investigate the government's handling of the franchise.

The East Coast Mainline franchise was taken into public ownership in 2009 after being run by National Express.

It was re-privatised when Stagecoach and Virgin signed a deal to run the East Coast line from 2015 to 2023, promising to pay the government £3.3bn to run the service.

Stagecoach owns 90% of the joint venture and Virgin owns the remaining 10%.

Ms Greenwood said: "There are serious questions to be asked of the train operator, Network Rail and ministers and the transport committee intends to ask them. The failure of the East Coast franchise has wider implications for rail franchising and the competitiveness of the current system. Lessons need to be learned by all concerned. In the meantime, the Department for Transport must take the right steps to protect passengers and taxpayers. Safeguards must be put in place to restore public confidence in the sustainability of our railways."

Mr Grayling has said he is considering two approaches. One option is to allow Stagecoach to continue operating the franchise on a short-term and not-for-profit basis until a new contract is awarded in 2020. Alternatively, East Coast Mainline could be brought back under government control and be run by the Department for Transport through an operator of last resort.

Mr Grayling told the House of Commons on Monday last week: "The problem is that Stagecoach got its numbers wrong. It overbid and is now paying a price."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 13:11:34 »

SoS announces that East Coast is now going to DoR status this lunchtime.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-44142258?__twitter_impression=true
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 13:18:47 by Western Pathfinder » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 13:21:32 »

I think that the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) should put in a bid for the franchise, and show us all how it should be done !

With no "fat cat" shareholders, just think what huge improvements could be made Smiley

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: