Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:29:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: East Coast rail franchise - ongoing discussion  (Read 16254 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2018, 12:22:14 »

Although a long-term continuing of the poor provision of service from GWR (Great Western Railway) may at some stage lead to a drop in custom and hence financial issues.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2018, 12:23:41 »

SWR» (South Western Railway - about), by contrast are doing better from the passengers point of view. There is always room for improvement of course but as regards the percentage of trains that are short formed/cancelled/part cancelled they are doing better than GWR (Great Western Railway).
SWR are however reportedly in financial trouble.

Seriously? SWR are majority FirstGroup, no?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2018, 12:50:54 »

SWR» (South Western Railway - about), by contrast are doing better from the passengers point of view. There is always room for improvement of course but as regards the percentage of trains that are short formed/cancelled/part cancelled they are doing better than GWR (Great Western Railway).
SWR are however reportedly in financial trouble.

Seriously? SWR are majority FirstGroup, no?

SWR are indeed part owned by First group who have a majority interest. AFAIK (as far as I know) they are a separate company and any financial failure of SWR would not mean the failure of the rest of First group.

Just as National Express are still a going concern despite the failure of their East Coast franchise.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2018, 10:15:27 »

Out of interest how likely is it we will see apple green vinyl's as per GWR (Great Western Railway) 800s for LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00:47 »

I'd rather they were out and about in Garter Blue .
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2018, 11:17:43 »

My main issue is will they paint the trains LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) green Tongue   
With the carriages wrapped in teak-coloured vinyls ...

Would never be allowed, the doors would have to be a contrasting colour under present regulations, thereby ruining the whole effect.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2018, 15:58:12 »

My main issue is will they paint the trains LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) green Tongue   
With the carriages wrapped in teak-coloured vinyls ...

Would never be allowed, the doors would have to be a contrasting colour under present regulations, thereby ruining the whole effect.

There was silly talk like this back in 2015 with the GWR (Great Western Railway) rebrand, then people slagged off the livery and the grey doors, so it doesn't surprise me its happening again.  I don't think garter blue is a good idea as its too reminiscent of GNER (Great North Eastern Railways), I think apple green or a similar shade would be better for the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s, it would be a fresh start and a clean slate considering the LNER brand is now permanent whoever takes hold of the new style franchise.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 19:10:30 »

There was silly talk like this back in 2015 with the GWR (Great Western Railway) rebrand, then people slagged off the livery and the grey doors, so it doesn't surprise me its happening again.  I don't think garter blue is a good idea as its too reminiscent of GNER (Great North Eastern Railways), I think apple green or a similar shade would be better for the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s, it would be a fresh start and a clean slate considering the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) brand is now permanent whoever takes hold of the new style franchise.

Has DfT» (Department for Transport - about) actually stated that the LNER brand is now permanent?

Indeed have they said this of the GWR brand?
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 20:28:15 »

Although a long-term continuing of the poor provision of service from GWR (Great Western Railway) may at some stage lead to a drop in custom and hence financial issues.

I've no idea of the numbers involved but how much of GWR's income is actually leisure travel related as opposed to government subisdy and more recently Railtrack refunds? Once you have season tickets and grants what's the gap? East Coast being supposedly more profitable (or even profitable) was it more susceptible to traffic changes?

Personally I quite liked the Virgin service on my trips to Scotland. Staff were friendly and booking in advance not too bad value. I hope they keep the Toffee and Banana cake as well!
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2018, 20:52:26 »

There was silly talk like this back in 2015 with the GWR (Great Western Railway) rebrand, then people slagged off the livery and the grey doors, so it doesn't surprise me its happening again.  I don't think garter blue is a good idea as its too reminiscent of GNER (Great North Eastern Railways), I think apple green or a similar shade would be better for the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s, it would be a fresh start and a clean slate considering the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) brand is now permanent whoever takes hold of the new style franchise.

Has DfT» (Department for Transport - about) actually stated that the LNER brand is now permanent?

Indeed have they said this of the GWR brand?

Yes the LNER brand is permanent, its in the document about the takeover.  The GWR is not, it was a First Group decision not a DFT (Department for Transport), of course things could change if First lose the franchise.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2018, 20:54:03 »

Whilst I would hope for a smart livery, this is a long way down my list of concerns.
Higher priorities are on board facilities and comfort.
Restaurant
Buffet
Luggage space
Leg room
Tables
Windows
Air conditioning that works
Toilets that work, including the emptying of retention tanks and filling of water tanks
Comfortable seats
Gangwayed throughout
Peak fares high enough to deter overcrowding and off peak fares low enough to make best use of the trains

External livery can hardly be seen once on board so is a LONG way down my list of preferences.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2018, 22:09:40 »

Whilst I would hope for a smart livery, this is a long way down my list of concerns.
Higher priorities are on board facilities and comfort.
Restaurant
Buffet
Luggage space
Leg room
Tables
Windows
Air conditioning that works
Toilets that work, including the emptying of retention tanks and filling of water tanks
Comfortable seats
Gangwayed throughout
Peak fares high enough to deter overcrowding and off peak fares low enough to make best use of the trains

External livery can hardly be seen once on board so is a LONG way down my list of preferences.

You are Jacob Rees-Mogg & I claim my £5.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2018, 07:11:40 »

Indeed - but our internals may vary

I notice you didn't list "seats" until 9th on your list of 11 items ... I think I would put seats much higher up on anything that I'm using for more that a "one stop hop", and I would probably suggest good sized seats not one that are just designed for an average sized traveller.  Indeed on Great Western, you could suggest "7 foot" or broad gauge seats rather than tacky 4 foot 8 inch seats in a 3 + 2 arrangement.

Here are some more ideas

Seat back or alternative tables for airline seats
UK (United Kingdom) mains power points
Ever-faster WiFi connections that work even between Dean and Mottisfont
Wide enough aisles to allow trolley to serve
Loading indicators to let you know whether it's worth walking through to a less crowded area
Announcments / screens that inform you of the real time running of connections (will they / won't they) to other trains and buses

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2018, 08:54:35 »

Announcments / screens that inform you of the real time running of connections (will they / won't they) to other trains and buses

That's a good idea. Are there any apps available that let you plan a journey involving more than one train and then after you have started monitor the status of your connecting train(s) alerting you and possibly re-planning the remainder of your journey?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2018, 11:06:18 »

Ever-faster WiFi connections that work even between Dean and Mottisfont

[Pedant Mode]
I see no reason why East Coast Mainline trains should have WiFi that work between Dean and Mottisfont since they are unlikely to ever work through there.
[/Pedant Mode]
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: