Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:57:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[282] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[233] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[48] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[42] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[20] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[19] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum response to Great Western Franchise Consultation  (Read 7499 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 10, 2018, 07:51:24 »

At our 7th January meeting of forum members, it was decided to write up and submit a response to the consultation covering general (i.e. not local) topics and comments which are commonly held views that members would be happy to sign up to.

Please take a look at what is planned to be a final draft - been checked on the moderator board - and if you wish to agree with the points raised and have your forum name added to the signatures, please like this post.

http://gwr.passenger.chat/gwf_cs_20180209.pdf

Notes:

1. If you are a "lurker" or visitor who would like to add your name, please email us ( info at firstgreatwestern dot info)

2. You are additionally very welcome to cut and paste from the response to use common wording in your own separate response to the consultation.  I would expect that many forum members WILL be responding additionally either as individual members or on behalf of other stakeholders.

3. I am also correlating local inputs with a Wiltshire / TransWilts bias - http://twcrp.info/support takes you to an overview document and will link you though to the consultation document, inputs you can share and further evidence.   This is a separate exercise to the main forum response - and "liking" this thread will not add your name to the local stuff I'm also working on.

4. Please sign by 23:59 on Sunday, 18th February 2018 if you would like your forum name included on the signature list (edit to post made to add this cut off date).

Text below is pasted from the draft response (link above) for easy reference.   Complete response includes details of what the Coffee Shop is  Grin Grin

Question 1 - Objectives
Generally agree with the objectives. Add Objective to provide transport at times and to destinations required, and prioritise reliabiity (cancellations at any station) over strict timekeeping

Question 2 – Splitting the franchise
There is a strong general view that the franchise should not be split.  There would be some support for a structure of management units within a single franchise.

Question 4 – Relationship between Train Operator and Network Rail
Passengers are looking to use rail services to travel and are not directy concerned with the relationship between the operator and the provider to the operator, save for wanting a set up that provides the end product effectively and without complexity to their journey.

Question 5 – Train frequency and length of day
Services should run as a minimum hourly serving all stations, in both directions, and from early in the morning through to late evening, seven days a week.  It is generally accepted that there may be some exceptions to this general rule, but forum members feel that it is up to members from individual areas to make their own knowleadgable comments for their own areas.

Question 6 – New Stations
Forum members are generally supportive of new stations and accept that they may add a few minutes to journey time.  They cannot see so many new stations being opened within the next 10 years that this timing becomes a problem.  There is a need for new stations to be provided with an appropriate train service with enough capacity to handle current and growing traffic on the line.

Question 7 – Leaving out stops
Maintaining frequency at intermediate stations is more important than shaving a few minutes from schedules.  There may be exceptions, but usually leaving the station skipped on some services with at least one train per hour each way

Question 8 – Direct (through train) provision
he thing that has come out time and again is the importance of end to end journeys where connections (train and bus) are involved – the total journey time, and the reliability of connections.

Where services abut end to end, they should be usefully joined up; 40% to 45% of business is lost at intermediate changes and so changes should be avoided where practical.

Question 12 – Rolling Stock
New stock where classes 143, 150, 153, 158, 165 and 166 run will be needed during franchise, with luggage space, corridor throughout and no 2 + 3 seating please.  Please ensure that train capacity allows everyone who wishes to sit to have a seat in all but the most exceptional of cases.

Question 15 - Ticketing
Ticket Vending Machines to offer lowest fare/combination & be clear on route & timing restrictions

Any reasonable route to be acceptable for travel on tickets NOT marked as either “via xxx” or “not via xxx”.  If you turn up at your starting station, reasonable routes should include whatever route will get you there soonest. That's in addition to any alternatives offered by the routing guide.

Question 16 – Community Rail
Passengers / members  strongly support Community Rail as providing a voice from outside into  promoting the passenger experience.    The forum requests that direct award and franchise requirements be written in such a way a to provide a continuity of operations for partnerships.

Question 18 – Any other business
1. Customer service performance levels.  There should be a target time for answering questions to customer services.  Currently routine answers take a month, with many queries extending for a lot longer for our members.   A monitored target, with an effective penalty clause in the direct award or franchise contract would help concentrate minds.

2. For the two years of direct award, forum members would like to see
a) Early morning to late evening service provision on all routes, stepping up to or towards hourly frequency as routine.
b) The opportunity of retimetablng to be taken to provide better journey opportunities, appropriate extra through journeys and much improved connections train to train and train to / from bus.

And finally
A big THANK YOU to our forum members for their inputs, and to the Department for Transport for inviting and considering our response.

Edit - 08:00, Feb 10 - spelling corrections and clarifications as suggested in the thread

Signature list here (please add your like):
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:00:56 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:05:59 »

Grahame, just a quick question.  When we like the post to add our signature to the document I assume you will adding our real names?  Personally I don't have a problem with that.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:24:18 »

Grahame, just a quick question.  When we like the post to add our signature to the document I assume you will adding our real names?  Personally I don't have a problem with that.

Thank you for that question.  I am planning to add forum names and NOT real names - otherwise we get really caught up in permissions, confidentiality and data protection stuff.  We don't even know some real names!

Where someone emails me as a lurker and asks to be added, that will need to be a checked identity with an audit trail like happens at the forum sign up process.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:52:14 »

Grahame, thank you for doing this. Your conciseness will be welcomed by those who have to collate the responses. 

However could I suggest a slight clarification to the response to question 15:

"Ticket Vending Machines to offer lowest fare / combination and be clear on route and timing restrictions."

If anyone is going to cut and paste please note that (as someone who has had to collate and draft responses to consultations) responses that are worded exactly the same tend to receive less weight than those which, although they express the same views, do so in their own words.

Your views are therefore likely to carry more weight if you rewrite then in your own words. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:28:14 »

Grahame, thank you for doing this. Your conciseness will be welcomed by those who have to collate the responses. 

However could I suggest a slight clarification to the response to question 15:

"Ticket Vending Machines to offer lowest fare / combination and be clear on route and timing restrictions."

If anyone is going to cut and paste please note that (as someone who has had to collate and draft responses to consultations) responses that are worded exactly the same tend to receive less weight than those which, although they express the same views, do so in their own words.

Your views are therefore likely to carry more weight if you rewrite then in your own words. 

I would be happy to make that clarification - will do so tonight as don't trust myself to do the edits while on a train which I am now.  Should that cause anyone to wish to remove their support ( unlikely I think ) they can "unlike" the main topic.

Any other clarifications - happy tp look at them if submitted by 23:59 on Monday 12th.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 15:38:43 »

Question 12 might do with clarification? The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) might wonder why we are asking for a cut in the number of seats but then request that everyone gets a seat. It is well known that services get crowded in holiday/summer
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 20:45:10 »

Question 12 might do with clarification? The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) might wonder why we are asking for a cut in the number of seats but then request that everyone gets a seat. It is well known that services get crowded in holiday/summer

New “West Fleet”  stock will be needed during franchise, with luggage space, corridor throughout and no 2 + 3 seating please.  Please ensure that train capacity allows everyone who wishes to sit to have a seat in all but the most exceptional of cases. This may mean some trains need to be longer

Hmmm ... suggested addition underlined.    Not sure I'm 100% happy with my own suggestion. We could use other wording of just leave the conclusion out  - and it could mean more trains rather than longer ones anyway, which within reason would encourage more growth ... solution could be different for different lines.   3 carriages on the Falmouth line (rather than 2); hourly trains (rather than every 2 hours) on the TransWilts.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 21:05:31 »

What do you mean by "West Fleet" I am not sure.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 21:20:41 »

What do you mean by "West Fleet" I am not sure.

Services currently operated by class 143, 150, 153, 158, 165 and 166 trains ... traditionally the "West Fleet" has meant Bristol and Exeter based dmus - but I supposed the message should refer to "diesel trains over 25 years old" so that it includes the Thames Valley branches and Gatwick and Oxford local services too.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:55:36 »

Great to already see 16 signatures on the Forum response to the GW (Great Western) Franchise consultation - and that in 24 hours from my posting on a Saturday morning, with Saturday always being the quietest day of the week on the forum.

This post in an unashamed "bump" to bring the topic back into the recent list ... thread starts at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19330 and I would encourage anyone and everyone who agrees it to like that thread.   

My "vibes" are that this particular consultation is far, far more than a box-ticking exercise; the next direct award and franchise will fall far short of being able to implement everything suggested - as members of the travelling public. There are complexities and issues behind the scenes that we can only imagine (though the forum does a good job of revealing some of them!) but never the less I'm sensing a desire from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to give weight to the directions the public's looking in their deliberations.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:24:41 »

Thank you for that question.  I am planning to add forum names and NOT real names - otherwise we get really caught up in permissions, confidentiality and data protection stuff.  We don't even know some real names!

Where someone emails me as a lurker and asks to be added, that will need to be a checked identity with an audit trail like happens at the forum sign up process.
Thanks for that response, Grahame.  I don't have a problem with it being either way.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 11:07:03 »

Grahame

Question 1. I thought it was agreed that Reliability should come before Punctuality.  People want a train to turn up even if it's a few minutes late.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 19:49:15 »

You can add my real name if you like.

Tony

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:06:43 »

I have updated the post at the top of this thread - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19330.msg231100#msg231100 - to reflect the clarifications suggested and to correct a couple of spelling mistooks - if you have signed already, please feel free to review.   If you haven't signed yet, please do so  Grin  Grin - the only changes I will make over the next six days will be to correct any further spelling mistakes that I become aware of.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 16:43:17 »

4. Please sign by 23:59 on Sunday, 18th February 2018 if you would like your forum name included on the signature list

34 signatures to date ... final call, 8 hours to add YOUR name if you haven't done so yet.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: