Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:34:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR's Twitter 'service'  (Read 5967 times)
soupowl

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:50:22 »

Now that it seems impossible to contact the railways for information by phone, GWR (Great Western Railway) claim they reply to questions on their Twitter account. However, I almost never get an answer to a travel query. I can see that some people do. Does anyone else have the same problem with them?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:09:13 »

Now that it seems impossible to contact the railways for information by phone, GWR (Great Western Railway) claim they reply to questions on their Twitter account. However, I almost never get an answer to a travel query. I can see that some people do. Does anyone else have the same problem with them?

The service has gone downhill recently without doubt - tends to be cut/paste answers and anything remotely critical or asking "tricky" questions tends to be ignored whereas before there was at least an attempt at an answer.

I find National Rail's app most useful and user friendly
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:17:55 »

At times that can be so busy that they miss things, and the cynic would suggest that the have a "too difficult" button which they can press to allow them to overlook some questions.   However, I have found Twitter and Facebook generally good at providing an initial response, less so with follow up questions if the initial response answered a slightly different point to that asked.

Phone numbers are now harder to locate, but these are available, even if not on too many web front pages:
03457 484950 - National Rail Enquiries
03457 000125 - GWR Customer Support

0800 405040 - British Transport Police
0345 711 4141 - Network Rail Emergency number

The service has gone downhill recently without doubt - tends to be cut/paste answers and anything remotely critical or asking "tricky" questions tends to be ignored whereas before there was at least an attempt at an answer.

I find National Rail's app most useful and user friendly

Try also the TransWilts app (for iPhone or Android, free download, also http://www.transwilts.org/app ) which is more finely tuned for TransWilts and provides somewhat deeper current running data.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:47:15 »

Personally, at least in my experience, the replies have got worse since Ollie (who I believe is a member on this forum) left!
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:17 »

Without tempting fate, I have always had a reply to my tweets

We would often get on a HST (High Speed Train) starting at Taunton (after cricket) and the buffet would be closed, a quick tweet later and the shutters are coming up with the member of staff grumbling that they had hoped to not open until the train arrive at Temple Meads
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:05:17 »

Without tempting fate, I have always had a reply to my tweets

We would often get on a HST (High Speed Train) starting at Taunton (after cricket) and the buffet would be closed, a quick tweet later and the shutters are coming up with the member of staff grumbling that they had hoped to not open until the train arrive at Temple Meads
IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) BR (British Rail(ways)) terms and conditions are still in force that insist all buffet staff have only 50% or less actual passenger contact time.  Traditionally, all staff handovers also require at least an hour for stocktaking by the off-going crew, and the oncoming crew are allowed another hour to double check this preceding stocktake.

This explains the lack of service within a 60 mile radius of New St in BR days, because another rule is that all staff changeovers must happen at the time when the passenger loads are at their maximum.

Paul   Grin
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 13:06:44 »

In my observations replies have gone from clearly personal to near enough all cut and paste jobs.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 13:17:44 »

In my observations replies have gone from clearly personal to near enough all cut and paste jobs.

There's an element of that being a product of volume.  Users of a forum such as ours are naturally early adopters of newfangled things like Twitter - we were there early on - and at that point it was smaller and much more personal.  But as things grow, it's hard for it to remain that personal.    I also bear in mind the "80 20" rule - or the "90 10" rule - were 90% of the questions are asking about 10% of the topics and it's a self defence for the team to have their standard texts to send back quickly.  Means they can help more people in a certain amount of time.

Members may recall I experimented with a "talk to me" service here on the forum - in fact there's still a left-over button on the top of our pages.  And even with a handful of days, I had a window of texts I could quickly cut and paste rather that writing the same thing, complete with smelling mistakes, time and again.    The "trick" is to identify where such text might need a word or two changing, and the 10% or 20% of responses where it is not appropriate.

On the rare occasions I use the current social media team, I find they do a good job - not like it used to be, of course, Ollie  Smiley - but certainly personal.  But then I doubt that the things I bring up give any semblance of being in the 90%, and it's possible too that I'm a marked man ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 01:49:40 »

Personally (and its probably because I've reached a certain age) I really resent having to sign up to a third party to get more accurate and recent information. I don't want to hand over all my data to Twitter but it does seem the that GWR (Great Western Railway) prioritises it over the website.

Personally I think there should be some sort of public information legislation/guidelines for certain types of companies (Travel, Power, Water etc) that means you don't have to hand over personal data to get information.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 05:04:22 »

Personally (and its probably because I've reached a certain age) I really resent having to sign up to a third party to get more accurate and recent information. I don't want to hand over all my data to Twitter but it does seem the that GWR (Great Western Railway) prioritises it over the website.

Personally I think there should be some sort of public information legislation/guidelines for certain types of companies (Travel, Power, Water etc) that means you don't have to hand over personal data to get information.

GWR could provide a Twitter feed on or via the from page of their website - or indeed via any other page on their site.  It wouldn't be interactive - read only and the same for all visitors to the page - but it would avoid the need for customers (and other interested parties) to be able to read the public feed without signing up. 

I fear I have been doing too much redesign of the GWR website over the last 12 hours and they have limited window space ... all too easy to add so much you drown out many elements.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 09:33:03 »

I'm inclined to agree with Sixty3Closure.

Also, Twitter is an awful way of trying to convey information about train services.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 09:54:54 »

I was looking at the Twitter streams from our two local bus companies yesterday. 

Thamesdown transport's twitter stream was very useful. 

But Stagecoach's was very difficult to use.  The reason was that Stagecoach had a single twitter stream for the whole of Bristol, Swindon, Gloucester etc and even with hashtags for the localities it was very difficult to find what you were looking for. Just setting up a separate twitter account for each major centre would have made a tremendous difference.

Not sure how you would apply the same to GWR (Great Western Railway) though as many of the enquiries do not relate to a place.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 10:07:39 »

I was looking at the Twitter streams from our two local bus companies yesterday. 

Thamesdown transport's twitter stream was very useful. 

But Stagecoach's was very difficult to use.  The reason was that Stagecoach had a single twitter stream for the whole of Bristol, Swindon, Gloucester etc and even with hashtags for the localities it was very difficult to find what you were looking for. Just setting up a separate twitter account for each major centre would have made a tremendous difference.

Not sure how you would apply the same to GWR (Great Western Railway) though as many of the enquiries do not relate to a place.

Stagecoach communication was very poor here as well in my opinion, compared to First and Go Ahead communication.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 10:25:25 »

An example of a twitter feed feeding a front page ... I used to do it too when I looked after the local Chamber of Commerce page, and our Well House staff page has multiple twitter feeds which used to keep us alert in some areas.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 13:22:43 »

Stagecoach south west has no Facebook coverage, and has now got a suspended Twitter. I’m told they have comprehensive service updates on their website. However the service updates page isn’t on their mobile browser site!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 14:20:39 by richwarwicker » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: