Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:22:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: £90bn, or cost free, to renationalise water, energy and rail?  (Read 2252 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 10, 2018, 17:29:08 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Labour's proposal to bring services such as water, energy and rail into public ownership would be "cost free", John McDonnell has said.

The shadow chancellor says he wants to put public services "irreversibly in the hands of workers" so they can "never again be taken away".

In a speech in London, Mr McDonnell said privatisation had failed.

However, the Conservatives said his plan would cost taxpayers billions of pounds and lead to worse services.
Earlier, Mr McDonnell told BBC Radio 4's Today programme taking services into public ownership would not ultimately increase the burden on taxpayers because government bonds could be swapped for shares in a revenue-producing company.

"It would be cost free. You borrow to buy an asset and when that asset is producing profits like the water industry does, that will cover your borrowing cost," he said.

A report earlier this week by the Social Market Foundation, commissioned by a group of water companies, estimated that the up-front costs of renationalisation would be £90bn.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 17:33:54 »

Hmmm. More national debt that taxpayers will be paying for through higher-than-needed utility bills to repay the borrowing. The current dividends will pay off the borrowing over how many years???

With little or no investment either
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 18:19:49 »

Hmmm. More national debt that taxpayers will be paying for through higher-than-needed utility bills to repay the borrowing. The current dividends will pay off the borrowing over how many years???

With little or no investment either

No not more national debt (the nation is more than the government and includes all the people and companies in the nation), since the money will be used to pay off some debt in the private sector there should be absolutely no change in national debt. It will increase Government debt, but correspondingly decrease private sector debt. 

Also it should not mean higher water charges, because at the moment water charges include paying a dividend to those shareholders and interest to the bondholders.  These dividend will be replaced by interest on the government bonds used to buy the companies. However since the government is seen as a better credit risk, the interest payments will almost certainly be less than the interest and dividends paid by the private companies. 

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 18:39:41 »

No not more national debt (the nation is more than the government and includes all the people and companies in the nation), since the money will be used to pay off some debt in the private sector there should be absolutely no change in national debt. It will increase Government debt, but correspondingly decrease private sector debt. 

That's just not what the phrase means. As any dictionary will attest, "national debt" means (and has always meant) money borrowed by the government and not yet paid back.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:56:37 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Labour's proposal to bring services such as water, energy and rail into public ownership would be "cost free", John McDonnell has said.

The shadow chancellor says he wants to put public services "irreversibly in the hands of workers" so they can "never again be taken away".

In a speech in London, Mr McDonnell said privatisation had failed.

However, the Conservatives said his plan would cost taxpayers billions of pounds and lead to worse services.
Earlier, Mr McDonnell told BBC Radio 4's Today programme taking services into public ownership would not ultimately increase the burden on taxpayers because government bonds could be swapped for shares in a revenue-producing company.

"It would be cost free. You borrow to buy an asset and when that asset is producing profits like the water industry does, that will cover your borrowing cost," he said.

A report earlier this week by the Social Market Foundation, commissioned by a group of water companies, estimated that the up-front costs of renationalisation would be £90bn.

I think McDonnell has borrowed Diane Abbott's abacus again.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:03:34 »

That's just not what the phrase means. As any dictionary will attest, "national debt" means (and has always meant) money borrowed by the government and not yet paid back.

I am perfectly aware of how the phrase is normally abused.  I am exposing a particular privatisation myth. Might I suggest that the phrase has been defined that way of putting forward a particular political view. That myth is that money borrowed by a private company to fund a public service that the public have to pay for is any different to the sam money borrowed by the government.

Water privatisation made no difference to me as an individual.  I still had to pay for the service.  That it allowed greater investment was an artificial political constraint not an economic one.  The nation is still indebted. 

If my taxes went down because the NHS was abolished would I be any better off? - No because I would still have to buy health insurance.  This is a false premise. 

The nation is more than the government, particularly when the government decides it does not want to provide services in certain areas. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:58 »

I am perfectly aware of how the phrase is normally abused.  I am exposing a particular privatisation myth. Might I suggest that the phrase has been defined that way of putting forward a particular political view. That myth is that money borrowed by a private company to fund a public service that the public have to pay for is any different to the sam money borrowed by the government.

Water privatisation made no difference to me as an individual.  I still had to pay for the service.  That it allowed greater investment was an artificial political constraint not an economic one.  The nation is still indebted. 

If my taxes went down because the NHS was abolished would I be any better off? - No because I would still have to buy health insurance.  This is a false premise. 

The nation is more than the government, particularly when the government decides it does not want to provide services in certain areas. 

Stufvings point re: the definition of national debt is correct.

In the case of the water industry (in which I worked for several years) I can tell you that privatisation facilitated investment decisions enabling massive capital projects to go ahead benefitting millions of people which would simply never have happened were it to have remained a nationalised industry, competing against other Government priorities.

You have to see things in more than one dimension.

McDonnell's grip on economic reality is at best tentative and driven solely by ideology.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:11 »

I would agree that the usage of the phrase "national debt" is now political, in the sense that it's used almost exclusively by those who think it matters a lot - so not John McDonnell, for a start. But it's hardly a recent invention for the purposes of political spin; more of a historic survival that's become an anachronism.

I had a look for the term and matching numbers in official accounts, and it was barely a footnote 40 years ago and is not now used by NSO at all. Its inherited meaning of central government gross debt (and  not all classes of that) is no longer seen as useful, so the figures you see as a percentage of GDP are for public sector debt. But the numbers that are produced do come is several varieties, since the whole business of counting all those diverse beans is genuinely complicated.

When that term is used, it doubt it's used in its historical sense anyway. So the practical response is to try to work out what was meant in each case - after which you can still agree or disagree with what is being said, of course.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:02:22 »

The model could be Welsh Water, which is a not for profit company, and is entirely self funding and pays no dividends to anybody.

McDonnell is being slightly evasive.  Yes, the shareholders would have to be bought out and that would cost money.  His theory is that eventually the cost would be repaid because of the profits not paid out.

On the other hand, that's money which the government received when the water industry was privatised.  Privatisation is in itself a scam because it involves people paying twice for assets which they have already paid for through taxation.

It's like banking, which is another scam.  I deposit £10 in my account.  The banks are allowed to lend up to about £8 of that to you.  That works on the premise that all the depositers don't come for their money at once.  If they do, the bank collapses. 

I have never understood how disposing of a publicly owned asset to a private corporation which has to make a profit and pay dividends to its shareholders can be money-saving.  Carillion demonstrates how that goes wrong when the company prefers to benefit its shareholders rather than investing in its operations.

We can see clearly what happens by looking at the railways.  Look at how much of the profit has been exported to Germany/France/the Netherlands/China because of the ownership of the franchiseholders. 
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 11:33:34 »

Some of the water supply industry in England has never been (yet) publicly owned going right back to the Victorian era. Before 1974 water supply was a patchwork of mainly local authority run water supply and sewerage operations, but also 30 or so private companies which were left more or less as they were at the time and many of these still exist separately today.

The so called 'no cost' nationalisation would only be no cost if the loans taken out to buy from the current owners were never repaid and always were able to be refinanced at the same kind of rate to be met from the profit of the operation of the companies and didn't affect the rate at which government borrowing could be financed for all other activities. This would also suggest that there would be no scope for consumer price reductions unless the operation could be made more efficient. McDonnell takes the view that public sector organisations are always more efficient than private sector ones. Others are not so sure on this assertion.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:53:36 »

If the government chose to change the ownership model of infrastructure companies, the cost to the country would be minimal, provided a nationalisation was not used!

Anyone wanting to go back to the models of the 60s and 70s should be very careful, considering the failure of investment in these industries due to political issues.

Changing ownership to cooperatives, partnerships and local companies that can pay no dividends (like old water companies) would in many cases be easy to do. The compensation to existing owners can be agreed by an ombudsman and be paid by these local institutions over many years in lieu of the dividends and dubious loans to their parent companies they now pay for.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:21:33 »

Stufvings point re: the definition of national debt is correct.

In the case of the water industry (in which I worked for several years) I can tell you that privatisation facilitated investment decisions enabling massive capital projects to go ahead benefitting millions of people which would simply never have happened were it to have remained a nationalised industry, competing against other Government priorities.

You have to see things in more than one dimension.

McDonnell's grip on economic reality is at best tentative and driven solely by ideology.

I too have worked in the Water Industry and agree entirely with what you say about water privatisation.  I am not critical of the dividends paid to shareholder per se as they are equivalent to the interest that a government would have had to pay on the debt had it stayed in the public sector.

In other European Countries governments are content to leave nationalised industries to get on with things and not starve them of investment, but there seems to be something about this country that prevents that. 

There have, however, been abuses. For example, according to the bbc, Macquarie Bank saddling Thames Water with £2bn extra debt it used to buy the company, despite assurances to the regulator that it would not.

As for ideology and economics - I think that cuts two ways - monetarism, trickle down economics are all political ideologies as much as they are economic theories.  Keynesian economics was political orthodoxy from the 1930's to the 1970's until the Reagan/Thatcher era made monetarism the political orthodoxy. 

Time moves on.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 15:41:53 »

To add to the theories, there is the one that considers public and private goods and services.  The former are ones which are inherently monopolistic and the latter are ones which are not

Thus, roads, railways, gas, electricity, water, health and so forth are inherently monopolistic and need to be available to all whereas particular goods like cars, TVs, handbags, clothing are a matter of personal choice and the market can logically compete to supply them.

The privatisation of gas and electricity services shows how silly the idea is.  You buy your gas from, say, Scottish Power and I buy my gas from say, EDF.  Is there a widget in the pipe that sends the SP gas to you and the EDF gas to me?  Of course there isn't.    There's just a load of gas in the system and some profiteer notionally contributes a proportion of it.  I apologise, therefore, for using your gas and electricity in my house.

Further, if the market for such supplies as these is so inherently good, why is it necessary to have a regulator to control it?    Because (i) the market for monopolistic services doesn't work in favour of the customer and (ii) the decision to privatise many of these things is ideological rather than rational.

Discuss Fayling Grayling's East Coast latest in this context.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 15:44:02 »

Stuvings point re: the definition of national debt is correct.

Agreed. It includes my Premium Bond.

On balance, I can see a positive benefit from nationalisation, in that I would be able to make money when the utilities are re=privatised.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: