06:28 Bristol Parkway to Weston-Super-Mare
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:34 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 07:05:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The End Of Diesel Traction In The UK?  (Read 8587 times)
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:33:01 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/12/minister-reveals-plan-shunt-every-diesel-train-tracks-2040/

And I thought things couldn't get any more ludicrous with Mr. Grayling in charge...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:46:34 »

He'll be pushing up the daisies most likely by then....
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:44 »

If only there was a way to replace diesel trains using technology that already exists...
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:53:21 »

I heard the report on dear old Auntie Beeb. The words used were, "phase out diesel only trains ..." which I interpreted as diesel as the only means of propulsion, diesel by-modes ok, diesel battery ok petrol only ok, petrol by-modes ok, petrol battery ok, etc, and so it seems Mr Hammond will have to give the Treasurys Cheque Book an airing and write an open cheque, " Pay Railway Investment". Strikes me there is a land beyond that known as "Cloud Cuckoo, Cuckoo"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:01:41 »

Jo Johnson will call on rail companies to follow the automotive industry by switching to alternative fuels and battery technology.

However, MPs (Member of Parliament) and trade bodies last night warned that the costs of the overhaul must be shouldered by customers through higher ticket prices.

This is the brother of the chap who I recall promising £350 million for the NHS, right??   But it's wise to remember that we need to work with him and his ministerial colleagues, and that the promises of the older brother don't transfer to the younger brother.

There is sense in diesel electric trains being able to collect their electricity from overhead cables or line side extra rails where available, of course ... and to have a battery charging point using tidal energy at Pilning, where a crane can lift a discharged set of batteries off and load on a fresh set of charged ones on every diesel electric train that call at the station there on its way through to Wales.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:47:51 »

... and to have a battery charging point using tidal energy at Pilning, where a crane can lift a discharged set of batteries off and load on a fresh set of charged ones on every diesel electric train that call at the station there on its way through to Wales.

Or, using a marvellous new invention I'm hearing about called 'wires', move the electricity thus generated to a stabling point where the batteries could be recharged in situ... Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:31 »

This is the brother of the chap who I recall promising £350 million for the NHS, right??   But it's wise to remember that we need to work with him and his ministerial colleagues, and that the promises of the older brother don't transfer to the younger brother.

Indeed they don't There's no sign that Jo has developed the same overwhelming urge to poke his father in the eye with a sharp anti-Eurpean stick on every possible occasion that Boris displays.

We ought to wait for the full text to be released; as a major speech by a minister it should be. It may say something a bit different.

For the record, he was speaking (scheduled at 9:45-10:15) at the opening plenary session of the "Knowledge Quarter Conference 2018: The Future of Knowledge". That subject is expanded as "the future of Knowledge in an age of untruth".

If you want to know even more about that subject, it goes on: "Knowledge may be the last imperishable currency, but it’s a currency under threat of devaluation. From expertise to echo-chambers and from fact to falsehood ‘The Future of Knowledge’ will mine the uncertainty that underpins our anxious age, exploring the challenges that face the knowledge economy in the early twenty-first Century."

That usage if "mine" is a puzzle - I've given that sentence a severe kicking, and it refuses to reveal any useful meaning. Perhaps it just implies that the organisers (Eventbrite) are commercially exploiting the current unease created by not knowing what counts as knowledge any more.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:18:59 by stuving » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:26 »

"Knowledge may be the last imperishable currency, but it’s a currency under threat of devaluation. From expertise to echo-chambers and from fact to falsehood ‘The Future of Knowledge’ will mine the uncertainty that underpins our anxious age, exploring the challenges that face the knowledge economy in the early twenty-first Century."

Ye gods. Who wrote that? Malcolm Tucker or Sir Humphrey?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 12:36:51 »

I ran it through https://readable.io/text/. it scored pretty high for unreadability.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:11 »

"Knowledge may be the last imperishable currency, but it’s a currency under threat of devaluation. From expertise to echo-chambers and from fact to falsehood ‘The Future of Knowledge’ will mine the uncertainty that underpins our anxious age, exploring the challenges that face the knowledge economy in the early twenty-first Century."

In the absence of a list of the organising committee, the obvious name to name is Roly Keating, Chief Executive of the British Library and Chair, Knowledge Quarter'. As head of this ... whatever it is, he had responsibility for approving that kind of stuff, though the conference organiser herself may have written it.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 14:06:09 »

Way too few expletives for Malcolm Tucker...  Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 14:12:21 »

The text of Jo Johnson's speech has now been published by dfT. Here's the most relevant bit:

And that’s why I am today announcing a new ambition.

I would like to see us take all diesel-only trains off the track by 2040.

If that seems like an ambitious goal - it should be and I make no apology for that.

After all, we’re committed to ending sales of petrol and diesel cars by 2040.

If we can achieve that, then why can’t the railway aspire to a similar objective?

Rail may be less carbon intensive than road transport.

That’s why modal shift’s so important.

Getting freight and passenger vehicles off the roads onto greener forms of transport.

But that does not absolve the rail industry from cleaning up its own act.

You may have seen stories recently about transport becoming the most polluting sector of our economy.

And the fact that rail emissions have actually increased in absolute terms.

Up 33% since 1990.

This cannot go on.

Now – we are making progress on modernising rolling stock.

For example, the much derided Pacers are going.

Along with other long-standing members of the fleet like Intercity 125s….

Old diesels being replaced by much cleaner trains featuring low carbon and NOx technology.

But we need to go further…

By decarbonising rail, we’ll reduce pollutants and improve air quality, particularly in our semi-enclosed stations.

So it is rather more measured than it was reported to be, and later he does say that step one is to ask the industry to draw up a plan - which should slow things down a bit. (Though his actual words were to "provide a vision", sadly.) That will presumably include a more concrete dated proposal for the retirement of all the older (pre-NRMM IIIB) diesel trains as a first step.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 14:14:11 »

Maybe in his youth Mr Johnson had a train with a key coming out of it, and thinks it can be scaled up!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 14:29:10 »

...  ask the industry to draw up a plan ...

Lot of that about at the moment.  Planning buys you more positive column inches per pound than actually doing!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 15:15:58 »

The end of internal combustion cars (on new sale) announced for the same date was a non-announcement as technological development means only niche cars (Ferraris, for instance) will have any use for petrol or diesel engines by then. It happens regardless of ministerial announcements. With trains, the technology is also here, but depends on government investment (or a radical rethink of rail privatisation).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: