Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
 today - First Bath Bus panel
today - Consultation end - Angel Road
26/11/2018 - TransWilts Board and Members
26/11/2018 - Bath Clean Air consult ends
28/11/2018 - Melksham RUG
28/11/2018 - WECA Scrutiny
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
November 21, 2018, 06:37:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[109] The line to the Severn Tunnel. Future use for the area it pass...
[63] Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion
[56] Western handles
[52] MetroBus
[35] GWR Performance Figures
[22] Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: C7 Restriction Code  (Read 985 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:19:32 pm »

Does anyone have a link to the current C7 restrictions, the national rail page here says to have been updated on the 8th January, which is incorrect as it still has 2017 services. ie: the 09:12 from Reading no longer exists / has been retimed and the 16:36 from Paddington is now 16:33 etc.

Using the National Rail planner is also of no use. Looking for an off-peak single fare from Paddington to Reading appears to give correct info* with 'fast' services unavailable and slow/semi-fast services able to be purchased. However by doing a search for an off-peak day return from Reading, shows some anomalies such as not being able to catch the 16:36 to Didcot, but being allowed to travel on the 17:00 to Bristol  Undecided

* I say correct info, but some 'fast' services appear to say you can use a Thames Branches Day Ranger ticket on them?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:26 pm »

BRFares has the same version, with this at its foot: "Fare details correct as of 2 January 2018. Information copyright Rail Settlement Plan Ltd.; reproduced under Creative Commons Licence CC BY 2.0". That could mean they've not been to look since then, or that the RSP have not put it onto their data feed. I guess that with BRFares you could ask them.
bignosemac
Transport Scholar

Question everything.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:43 pm »

That restriction code is not alone in being incorrectly implemented due to timetable changes for certain AM and PM fast trains into and out of Paddington.

One example I'm aware of is the 1833 services to Exeter St Davids. This used to be 1835

This train shouldn't allow Off Peak travel where the origin is Paddington, either as a Single, or the Return portion of a ticket from Didcot, Oxford, Newbury Reading etc. However, the restriction code text hasn't been updated, in written or electronic form. Hence them being incorrectly shown on booking engines as valid departures with Off Peak and Off Peak Day tickets.

It's an error in the customers favour, but I've heard tell of TMs trying to excess fare people who have bought Off Peak tickets where the booking engine has erroneously allowed then to select the 1833 as their Paddington departure.

The data for booking engines has to be broken down into chunks of minutes to disallow travel on fast trains to Thames Valley destinations. There can't be a blanket period applied as this will include the slow services on which the tickets are valid. So to disallow travel on the 1833 the booking engines should be programmed to exclude departures between 1833-1834. At the moment they are programmed to exclude 1835-1836 which reflects the previous timing of the 1833 (formerly 1835) to Exeter St Davids.

Expect a fix. I won't say soon as this is the railways we are talking about! Until it is fixed you can travel legitimately on the 1833 with an Off Peak ticket if you've booked online and been allowed to select that service. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:33:24 pm by bignosemac » Logged

Former FGW/GWR regular passenger. No more. Despicable company.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:40 pm »

BRFares has the same version, with this at its foot: "Fare details correct as of 2 January 2018. Information copyright Rail Settlement Plan Ltd.; reproduced under Creative Commons Licence CC BY 2.0". That could mean they've not been to look since then, or that the RSP have not put it onto their data feed. I guess that with BRFares you could ask them.

That's a red herring, sorry about that. If you look at the fine-grained instructions for booking engines (the "unpublished restrictions") there are two sets defined: 2/1/2018 to 3/3/2018 and 3/9/2018 to 22/12/2108. In both there is a "not valid" interval of 16:30-16:40 departing Paddington. What happens from March to September? Presumably that will be added in a later update (perhaps the one of 8th January?).
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:51:47 pm »

That's a red herring, sorry about that. If you look at the fine-grained instructions for booking engines (the "unpublished restrictions") there are two sets defined: 2/1/2018 to 3/3/2018 and 3/9/2018 to 22/12/2108. In both there is a "not valid" interval of 16:30-16:40 departing Paddington. What happens from March to September? Presumably that will be added in a later update (perhaps the one of 8th January?).

This was raised in another thread as the booking software was selling off peak for everything, even the most peak of peak services!
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:02 pm »

That restriction code is not alone in being incorrectly implemented due to timetable changes for certain AM and PM fast trains into and out of Paddington.

One example I'm aware of is the 1833 services to Exeter St Davids. This used to be 1835

This train shouldn't allow Off Peak travel where the origin is Paddington, either as a Single, or the Return portion of a ticket from Didcot, Oxford, Newbury Reading etc. However, the restriction code text hasn't been updated, in written or electronic form. Hence them being incorrectly shown on booking engines as valid departures with Off Peak and Off Peak Day tickets.

It's an error in the customers favour, but I've heard tell of TMs trying to excess fare people who have bought Off Peak tickets where the booking engine has erroneously allowed then to select the 1833 as their Paddington departure.

The data for booking engines has to be broken down into chunks of minutes to disallow travel on fast trains to Thames Valley destinations. There can't be a blanket period applied as this will include the slow services on which the tickets are valid. So to disallow travel on the 1833 the booking engines should be programmed to exclude departures between 1833-1834. At the moment they are programmed to exclude 1835-1836 which reflects the previous timing of the 1833 (formerly 1835) to Exeter St Davids.

Expect a fix. I won't say soon as this is the railways we are talking about! Until it is fixed you can travel legitimately on the 1833 with an Off Peak ticket if you've booked online and been allowed to select that service. 
I had a question about the easement of restriction on the use of an annual gold card from Moreton in Marsh. After calling National Rail Enquiries they eventually admitted that they had no copy of the fare manual electronic or written. Therefore they couldn't tell me which train the easement was on. I spoke to the FGW customer service team and they did have access to the Fares Manual. Sadly the manual hadn't been updated to reflect the timetable and the train listed was no longer running. They told me that I'd be fine on the last train before 10am.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »

This was raised in another thread as the booking software was selling off peak for everything, even the most peak of peak services!

I'm not sure what "this" refers to there. The fuller (BRFares) version I was referring to suggests that the booking engines should be right, having been given the updated restriction data in time. It's the printed (human-readable) list of departures by time that is based on the old timetable.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 12:54:35 pm »

I keep wondering if "ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE" can sort out fares conundrums!

Human Intelligence doesn't seem to have got very far!

However, I have this nagging feeling it might make it worse.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: