09:00 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
09:10 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central
09:20 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 09:05:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesel pollution and Staff and Passenger safety at covered stations.  (Read 2243 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« on: February 19, 2018, 16:20:50 »

With the recent scares about diesel car pollution, and the governments commitment to remove all full diesel trains from 2040 is it safe for staff to work in covered|enclosed stations, and passengers?

The government believes that it is OK for Bristol TM(resolve), and other stations, to continue to handle Diesel trains, yet the EU» (European Union - about) and government say diesel is bad for asthmatics and other sufferers of breathing conditions.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 16:53:30 »

I personally would risk assess before applying for a position at any station you describe if I were asthmatic
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 17:41:07 »

With the recent scares about diesel car pollution, and the governments commitment to remove all full diesel trains from 2040 is it safe for staff to work in covered|enclosed stations, and passengers?

The government believes that it is OK for Bristol TM(resolve), and other stations, to continue to handle Diesel trains, yet the EU» (European Union - about) and government say diesel is bad for asthmatics and other sufferers of breathing conditions.

I'm afraid I'm going to get out my red pencil now. For a start, what "governments commitment"? Jo Johnson announced an aspiration, or even a goal, but nothing more concrete, and that didn't apply to bi-modes. In any case, a government can't bind its successors in that way.

And "is it safe"? No, nothing is safe in that absolute sense; "absolute safety" is an unapproachable ideal, not a viable target let alone a sensible threshold. "How safe is it" is worth asking, and of course the answer comes for varying levels of risk and provides you with priorities.

I would guess (but someone ought to know) that closed train sheds and old diesels are a problem, and should be removed as soon as possible. That should be the case for Paddington, within a couple of years, with even the (relatively clean) 800s not running their diesels there. Open stations are so draughty it seems unlikely they are a problem, though I guess calm weather might make them one.

I can't recall seeing any kind of extractor or chimney provided for diesel exhausts in stations, though I have a hazy recollection of seeing something of the kind in workshops and for steam engines in stations. Or have I imagined them?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 17:52:45 »

Temple meads and Paddington stations are quite well vented ,built that way to cope with steam engines.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 18:44:52 »

Roads are well vented, but diesel cars are apparently affecting peoples breathing ailments.

On that basis, surely all diesel trains should be clean within enclosed stations
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 19:16:55 »

I seem to recall some sort of extract ducting above a few platforms at London Victoria, to remove exhaust fumes from ye olde Hampshire units when these were still in use.
Similar arrangements may have existed elsewhere, but were never common.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 19:17:18 »

It used to be like this.  Search YouTube for clag.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 20:57:12 »

I'm afraid I'm going to get out my red pencil now. For a start, what "governments commitment"? Jo Johnson announced an aspiration, or even a goal, but nothing more concrete, and that didn't apply to bi-modes. In any case, a government can't bind its successors in that way.

And "is it safe"? No, nothing is safe in that absolute sense; "absolute safety" is an unapproachable ideal, not a viable target let alone a sensible threshold. "How safe is it" is worth asking, and of course the answer comes for varying levels of risk and provides you with priorities.

I would guess (but someone ought to know) that closed train sheds and old diesels are a problem, and should be removed as soon as possible. That should be the case for Paddington, within a couple of years, with even the (relatively clean) 800s not running their diesels there. Open stations are so draughty it seems unlikely they are a problem, though I guess calm weather might make them one.

I can't recall seeing any kind of extractor or chimney provided for diesel exhausts in stations, though I have a hazy recollection of seeing something of the kind in workshops and for steam engines in stations. Or have I imagined them?
When Birmingham New Street was rebuilt in the 1960s it included extractor vents in the platform canopies to remove diesel fumes. Worked well for years 'till the oily deposits inside the trunking caught fire because nobody had cleaned them...

AIUI (as I understand it) the system was never used again.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 21:13:29 »

Roads are well vented, but diesel cars are apparently affecting peoples breathing ailments.

On that basis, surely all diesel trains should be clean within enclosed stations

Three points.

What is 'clean' under these circumstances? According to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) figures the levels of noxious combustion products (NOx, CO, etc) in the air has reduced over the years. The only types of pollutant which have bucked the trend are the very small particulates.

Very few railway stations on the national network are 'enclosed'. Even if they have an overall roof, the ends are open. The only 'enclosed' stations I have come across are underground stations - and they all have electric trains.

I experienced the last great smog http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/6/newsid_3251000/3251001.stm in London in the winter of 1962. You could not see more than a couple of yards, it was dark at midday and it smelt as if the doors to Hell had been opened with the levels of sulphur present. What occurs now is merely apprentice muck! (Which does not mean to say that efforts should not continue to be made to reduce the levels).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 22:19:14 »

I experienced the last great smog http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/6/newsid_3251000/3251001.stm in London in the winter of 1962. You could not see more than a couple of yards, it was dark at midday and it smelt as if the doors to Hell had been opened with the levels of sulphur present. What occurs now is merely apprentice muck! (Which does not mean to say that efforts should not continue to be made to reduce the levels).

Smog? We didn't have smog - as the contemporary report on that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) page makes clear, we called it fog. Fog was the dark dirty stuff, and anything white was called mist no matter how thick, at least in London.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 00:35:47 »

Very few railway stations on the national network are 'enclosed'. Even if they have an overall roof, the ends are open. The only 'enclosed' stations I have come across are underground stations - and they all have electric trains.

There are more than a few stations below ground level that have the feel of being enclosed. Birmingham New St, Edinburgh Waverley and Sunderland come to mind. All served by diesel trains. Air quality in these stations, and others that are less enclosed, has been proven to be below 'safe' levels set by the EU» (European Union - about) and other international bodies. UK (United Kingdom) stations don't have to meet any air quality criteria though.

http://pure-oai.bham.ac.uk/ws/files/27847822/ICE_paper_accepted_version.pdf

https://www.airqualitynews.com/2015/09/11/paddington-station-air-more-polluted-than-marylebone-rd/

Of course, Paddington should slowly improve, as it becomes a station served almost exclusively by electric trains.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 10:21:08 »

Why should rail stations be outside the law?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 19:02:04 »

Smog? We didn't have smog - as the contemporary report on that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) page makes clear, we called it fog. Fog was the dark dirty stuff, and anything white was called mist no matter how thick, at least in London.

To be a bit more scientific about that, searching through the British Newspaper Archive found this as the earliest usage in London, in October 1952: ' "smog," as the Americans call it' (from Britannia and Eve, a very 1950s kind of ladies' magazine). There were no occurrences in 1951, and in 1950 just one - but there it was seen as specific to California.

From 1953 it starts to appear, rarely at first, in official material. I think the idea was to persuade people that this was something quite specifically nasty and not just weather, to prepare them for the cost and trouble that smoke-free zones would entail. To start with it still merited quotation marks in the general press, and as I recall it took a while longer to get into most people's vocabulary. I'm not aware of any on-line search that would confirm that, though.

Of course the Clean Air Act of 1956 was what made 1962 the last serious fog/smog, in the sense of that yellowy-brown stuff that meant you could go outside your own house onto the pavement and see nothing at all to tell you where you were. So I guess that by the time the word was well-known enough to be widely used, there wasn't any smog in London to use it for - it's gone back to being something foreign, but now more likely Chinese.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 19:22:38 by stuving » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 23:40:56 »

Why should rail stations be outside the law?

They aren't - there is no law for them to be outside. Put another way, nowhere else has to meet a limit for these diesel emissions either.

Since staff are there a lot longer, their exposure is greater than the public's so it is logical for control to be applied via HSE (Health and Safety Executive) and the COSHH regulations. In fact it already is, but there is no limit defined for these substances, so it is up to each employer to do a risk assessment. Employers are not expected to do their own medical research or epidemiology, and the guidance HSE provides in HSG187 is pretty primitive:
Table 2 Assessment of the level of exposure to DEEEs
Low
Medium
High
No visible haze in the
workplace
Occasional white, blue or
black smoke
Permanent white, blue or black
smoke
No visible soot deposits
Visible soot deposits in certain   
areas
Heavy soot deposits especially
near emission points
No complaints of irritancy
Some complaints of irritancy
All exposed workers complain
of irritancy
CO2 levels much lower than
1000 ppm  8–hour TWA*
CO2 levels about 1000 ppm
8–hour TWA
CO2 levels greater than
1000 ppm 8–hour TWA
Controls likely to be adequate     
Check adequacy of controls
Controls not adequate; decide
on control strategy
* TWA: time–weighted average.

HSE have known for at least five years that there ought to be COSHH limits for DEEEs, or at least for a single proxy measurement that can be done with suitably cheap instruments. The previous advice was to use CO2, which is now accepted to be not good enough. (There's a presentation on this that was grabbed by Unite here.) But these things take time, and HSE were expecting a limit to be defined for them as a European regulation - which of course takes even longer. But presumably one or other of those will happen. To my mind they ought to just rush out something, to get employers used to doing something, and with a fairly lax limit, accompanied by a warning it will be made stricter as soon as there is some consensus on the right numbers.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 19:58:35 by stuving » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 20:02:12 »

Temple meads and Paddington stations are quite well vented ,built that way to cope with steam engines.

And now we know that the roof at Paddington has a lot of provision for air to get in and out, while stopping rain getting in. But wind can carry snow in, and that's how we know.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: