I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:38:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 Full line closure Newbury line  (Read 22265 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 14:17:06 »

Won't stations west of Newbury as far as Bedwyn benefit from an hourly service with IET (Intercity Express Train)'s replacing (mostly) Turbos, with better connections to the west - that's surely an improvement, even if you do think the seats are too hard (which I personally don't)?

And won't Pewsey benefit from a far more clockface pattern of services than the random service it currently receives?  For me, the Berks & Hants line is one of the ones that benefits the most from electrification and new trains, although it does seem like this year is going to be very disruptive.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 14:55:46 »

Quite a bit of pain for the gain of electric services to Newbury.

Yes, all pain and no gain for people wanting to travel to/from stations west of Newbury, i.e. Kintbuty, Bedywn Hungerford and Pewsey.

Once the much-loved HSTs (High Speed Train) are replaced by the new Hitachi trains, there is likely to be even more pain due to the hard "ironing board" seats that they have. Angry

Won't stations west of Newbury as far as Bedwyn benefit from an hourly service with IET (Intercity Express Train)'s replacing (mostly) Turbos, with better connections to the west - that's surely an improvement, even if you do think the seats are too hard (which I personally don't)?

And won't Pewsey benefit from a far more clockface pattern of services than the random service it currently receives?  For me, the Berks & Hants line is one of the ones that benefits the most from electrification and new trains, although it does seem like this year is going to be very disruptive.

From what I have seen, there is some woolliness in public information and plans have changed a bit along the way.

* From Reading to Newbury there will be two stopping trains an hour one calling at all stations and one only at major stations.  The all stations train will be electric, and run just between Reading and Newbury. The major-stations-only train will be an IET from London, calling at Reading, major stations to Newbury, Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn where it will terminate.

* Every 2 hours, a "semifast" IET is planned from London to Reading, Pewsey, Westbury, Castle Cary and Taunton; then on to Exeter St David's is suggested but probably not beyond.  Any stops between Reading and Pewsey are unclear to me.

* Every hour, an express will run - Paddington, Reading, Taunton, Tiverton, Exeter, Newton Abbott, Plymouth.  Additional stops west of Exeter and continuation on into Cornwall - I'll let others comment.

So ...

Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn gain the replacement of a turbo with a five car IET.
Pewsey and Westbury both gain trains that fill the current massive gaps during the day
Pewsey, Westbury and Castle Cary loose though trains beyond Exeter
Taunton, Exeter, Plymouth, Cornwall gain improvements to their London and Reading services
Kintbury, Hungrford and Bedwyn probably see no change in the virtually zero provision from them via Pewsey
Frome will see no change (?) - virtually no service to its county town of Taunton, and perhaps one peak train to London
All trains used on these services will be new.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 17:51:27 »

Hourly service to Plymouth is pretty much the same as now I think?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 18:46:33 »

Yes, though more trains will omit some of the smaller intermediate stops and will be quicker, in some cases by quite a large amount.  Though of course that works both ways and will remove the attractiveness of direct trains from places like Westbury that are currently available, albeit in a patchy way.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 20:16:12 »

Yes, though more trains will omit some of the smaller intermediate stops and will be quicker, in some cases by quite a large amount.  Though of course that works both ways and will remove the attractiveness of direct trains from places like Westbury that are currently available, albeit in a patchy way.

Exactly - I worded the original carefully - perhaps too carefully.   And I should have include opposites too, but being on the Kennet Valley, I wrote it from that viewpoint.    However, let's have a further go:

Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn gain the replacement of a turbo with a five car IET (Intercity Express Train).
London and Reading passengers will gain a better train to Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn

Pewsey and Westbury both gain trains that fill the current massive gaps during the day
Passengers from London, Reading, Taunton and Exeter will have gaps in services to to Pewsey and Westbury filled

Pewsey, Westbury and Castle Cary loose though trains beyond Exeter
Passengers from Torbay, Plymouth and Cornwall will have to change to get to Westbury and Pewsey
Passengers from Torbay, Plymouth & Cornwall will have to change twice rather than once to get to Solent & Trowbridge.
Passengers from Solent & Trowbridge will have to change twice rather than once to get to Torbay, Plymouth & Cornwall.

Taunton, Exeter, Plymouth, Cornwall gain (speed) improvements to their London and Reading services
London and Reading passengers will be able to get to Taunton, Exeter, Plymouth, Cornwall consistently a bit faster

Kintbury, Hungrford and Bedwyn probably see no change in the virtually zero provision from them via Pewsey
Getting from the west to Kintbury, Hungrford and Bedwyn will remain a hassle

Frome will see no change (?) - virtually no service to its county town of Taunton, and perhaps one peak train to London
Still bl**dy difficult to get to Frome from London, or from Taunton or beyond, even though it's on the same line

Oh - and passengers from Castle Cary to London will find they have a more consistent but slower service and vv
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 20:33:12 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 06:51:08 »

This thread has gone a bit off topic (how unusual!  Wink ) however we're now in the first week.

From yesterday afternoon:

Work is progressing as expected and there is currently no concern over a right time hand back on Friday morning. The line will therefore be open from around 0500 on Friday as planned.

-Customer numbers generally have been quite low so far.
-Car park at Theale filling up by 0800 (85 less spaces due to bus operation), so we’re tweeting out a “Theale car park is filling up” and “Theale car park is full” each morning to help manage expectations.
-Replacement bus loading figures expected tomorrow
-The 0755 Hungerford to Newbury bus service has proved popular, so we are running a second vehicle on that service.

From Bedwyn trains

During the discussions with GWR (Great Western Railway) they arranged for:

1) Ticket acceptance for Bedwyn season ticket  holders from Salisbury, Grateley, Andover, Whitchurch, Overton or Basingstoke with no extra charges.
2) Secured parking at Didcot Town Football Club and season tickets can be used from there. Didcot station car park is currently significantly reduced due to the construction of a multi storey car park. The Football Club is within walking distance of the station, and we will signpost the walking route, and also run a complimentary shuttle bus every 15 minutes between the Football Club and the station
3) Also agreed car park and ticket easement at Mereoak Park & Ride on the outskirts of Reading in addition to travel on JetBlack1 and route 102 service buses.

Significant concern at some higher fares being charged on journeys / trains that have been modified due to the engineering; that applied to at least three journey groups I'm aware of - though none of them relates to journeys that start or end at stations between Theale and Pewsey.   

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 07:58:09 »

Alterations to services between Westbury and Pewsey
Due to engineering works not being finished on time between Westbury and Pewsey all lines are blocked.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed or diverted. Pewsey will not be served. Disruption is expected until 13:00 16/03.
Customer Advice
Owing to the engineering work, which has been ongoing since Monday, not being completed on time we are unable to operate train services on the route to / from Westbury via Pewsey.

Train services between London Paddington and the West Country, and return, will be diverted via alternative routes. As a result Westbury and Castle Cary will have a reduced frequency of train service to / from the West Country and Newbury and Pewsey will have no direct train service to / from the West Country. Newbury will still be served by local train services to / from Reading where customers may change for diverted train services. Limited road transport will serve Pewsey and operate to / from Swindon to connect with train services there.
Further Information
An update will follow within the next 2 hours.
Last Updated:16/03/2018 07:38

To note - also effected, TransWilts services - all but the first morning service each way cancelled.

My information on the reason isn't quite what they say - engineering works did finish on time, but the engineers / engineering train managed to damage some infrastructure which they're now having to fix.

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 09:26:25 »

Going back to the info around what services will look like at the end of the year....

* From Reading to Newbury there will be two stopping trains an hour one calling at all stations and one only at major stations.  The all stations train will be electric, and run just between Reading and Newbury.

The all-stations trains will presumably be a 387. If I look at the current timetable, it's scheduled at between 29 to 31 mins each way.

With the better performance of the 387 vs. 165/166 (accel, decel, speed between stops on a track that is mostly 100mph linespeed), could this be operated with a single (4 or 8 coach) unit?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 10:10:11 »

In theory, probably just about.  In practice you need at least three minutes turnaround at either end meaning a 27-minute journey time (ideally 25 or 26 minutes) which might just be asking a little too much to do all day with enough of a resilience margin.

hoover50

Class 50 at Swindon

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 12:06:08 »

To note - also effected, TransWilts services - all but the first morning service each way cancelled.

My information on the reason isn't quite what they say - engineering works did finish on time, but the engineers / engineering train managed to damage some infrastructure which they're now having to fix.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that points were damaged at Heywood Road Junction  Roll Eyes
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 12:11:15 »

Disruption to services now expected to last until 2pm.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 13:34:25 »

No wonder the train is delayed.... Grin

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 13:46:18 »

Should we start a search?

If it went along the old M&SWJR, it probably wouldn't have got past Rushy Platt Jn as the rails were taken up in about 1965, so it should be easy to find. 
Alternatively it might have taken the wrong turn at Westbury in which case who knows?
hoover50

Class 50 at Swindon

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 14:08:58 »

Disruption to services now expected to last until 4pm.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 18:46:32 »

The Cornish Riviera was so late it ran non stop from Plymouth to Truro and they provided a bus connection from Truro for Newquay branch passengers.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: