Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:51:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: When is a short-formation not a short-formation  (Read 12179 times)
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:19:13 »

Having recently been taken to task for referring to a service which is in the timetable as an HST (High Speed Train)/IET (Intercity Express Train) but has been run as a Turbo for the last few weeks as a "short-formation", can anyone tell me what a short-formation is as far as GWR (Great Western Railway) is concerned?

In this particular case, it seems that because it is a planned change, it's not classified as a formation change so does not get shown on JourneyCheck even though it's in the published timetable as offering the full range of services (first class, catering, power points etc) and even though you can make a seat reservation through GWR's booking engine.

And also, where on the GWR website can passengers find out about such planned changes?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 12:14:57 »

First, check the pdf  of the timetable on their website to ensure you are looking at the (supposedly) up to date version.

If it still shows that way, and you are getting otherwise different stock, challenge whoever is telling you it's a planned change - as I understand any planned change should be updated in those pdfs.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 12:53:42 »

First, check the pdf  of the timetable on their website to ensure you are looking at the (supposedly) up to date version.

If it still shows that way, and you are getting otherwise different stock, challenge whoever is telling you it's a planned change - as I understand any planned change should be updated in those pdfs.

Thank you. Having just downloaded timetable T6 from GWR (Great Western Railway)'s website, the service I was referring to, and two others which immediately spring to mind, all have a black square at the top of the column - "Bike reservations are compulsory. First Class accommodation, seat reservations, Wi-Fi and power points are available"
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 14:13:17 »

Ahhh....Cotswold Line.

A number of changes have been planned owing to shortage of drivers for the IETs (Intercity Express Train). Therefore a change (no IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) was the planned change), but they could put on an HST (High Speed Train) or a 3car turbo....could be either & hence the reason they haven't changed that pdf - the trains concerned are likely to be substituted from an IEP, to either of those mentioned, or they may find an IET driver as training progresses. It's a fluid situation on that line, until at least the end of March, the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) have been told.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 14:45:19 »

It's a fluid situation on that line, until at least the end of March, the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) have been told.

It's a mess on that line, and I predict it'll be much longer than the end of March before it's sorted, though it is at least slightly better than it has been over the last couple of weeks.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 14:50:18 »

The vast majority of drivers should have passed out by then, so here's hoping.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 15:00:41 »

I appreciate it's a mess and that GWR (Great Western Railway) is "managing" the situation as best it can, and there is a thread in the London to the Cotswolds sub-forum which is covering a lot of these issues.

I also recognise I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this. (And actually, as I only travel one stop I much prefer a Turbo to an IET (Intercity Express Train) as there's more standing space.) But the main reason for raising this query was that it seems to be known that some services are planned to be Turbos for the short/medium-term rather than the HST (High Speed Train)/IET promised in the timetable - do GWR actually make this information available to passengers or is it simply a case of "being in the know"?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 15:03:41 »

The vast majority of drivers should have passed out by then ...

I know what you mean - but love the vision outside a rail context!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 15:07:33 »

In this particular case, I doubt more than a very few actually know - and then it's subject to change. They' intend to put on the 'best' stock they can. So even if it's booked on a particular day as a turbo, if an HST (High Speed Train) becomes available, they may send that.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 16:10:06 »

I wonder why it is that someone has to come to this forum to get answers like this (useful and informative though they are), rather than GWR (Great Western Railway) proactively issuing a communication in order that its customers (especially on the Cotswold line) can understand why the situation is how it is, rather than being kept in the dark?

Communication is a colossal "fail" within GWR.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 16:18:57 »

I wonder why it is that someone has to come to this forum to get answers like this (useful and informative though they are), rather than GWR (Great Western Railway) proactively issuing a communication in order that its customers (especially on the Cotswold line) can understand why the situation is how it is, rather than being kept in the dark?

Because 90% of the customers only want 10% of the answers?   We here are the 10% who seek the 90% - other put their hands over there ears at too much information!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 16:30:18 »

I'd up that to at least 95%, Graham....
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 16:43:06 »

Because 90% of the customers only want 10% of the answers?   We here are the 10% who seek the 90% - other put their hands over there ears at too much information!

Graham I'd love to know how you reach that conclusion.

Notwithstanding your loyalty to GWR, it's not only people in this forum who want information - paying customers are entitled to know (for example on the Cotswold Line) why their services are cancelled/shortformed/terminated short day after day and the onus sits firmly with the service provider to inform them.

GWR weren't shy about spouting off about the thousands of extra seats and spending a fortune on twee advertising campaigns making promises that they haven't been able to keep - having raised those expectations, it's now incumbent upon them to explain why they haven't matched them.

The best companies front up when things go wrong, explain why, what they have learned and what they are doing by way of resolution/mitigation, and in that way they gain respect.

I don't see a lot of that from GWR, and think I know who it is that has their hands over their ears.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 17:12:09 »

GHenerally I may agree, but which type of train turns up on which day?

Nah, at least 95% won't want to know in advance as long as it's on time & they get a seat, which along the Cotswold Line, they probably would.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 17:45:29 »

Graham I'd love to know how you reach that conclusion.

and yet

GHenerally I may agree, but which type of train turns up on which day?

Nah, at least 95% won't want to know in advance as long as it's on time & they get a seat, which along the Cotswold Line, they probably would.

My guestimate comes from talking to people - lots and lots of people over the years - and seeing how far their interest goes when explaining changes, reasons, etc.   If a train is cancelled they want to know what's the alternative (or what's being done for them).  Whether it's a faulty point, lack of crew or an exploding pidgeon is of no consequence to 9 out of 10 - there is a little more engagement if it's 'person hit by train' and more willingness to accept consequential delays.

The engagement with bus users is even more extreme at times.

Notwithstanding your loyalty to GWR, it's not only people in this forum who want information - paying customers are entitled to know (for example on the Cotswold Line) why their services are cancelled/shortformed/terminated short day after day and the onus sits firmly with the service provider to inform them.

GWR weren't shy about spouting off about the thousands of extra seats and spending a fortune on twee advertising campaigns making promises that they haven't been able to keep - having raised those expectations, it's now incumbent upon them to explain why they haven't matched them.

The best companies front up when things go wrong, explain why, what they have learned and what they are doing by way of resolution/mitigation, and in that way they gain respect.

I agree with you.   Doesn't mean that everyone wants to know it all, but that should not stop the information being freely, openly, timoeously and honestly provided where it's easy to find.  Which is rarely the case at present. 

I don't see a lot of that from GWR ...

Perhaps that's why we get such a large number of search engine arrivals at the forum ... it may just be the 5% or 10% who want to know ... but much of it ain't available elsewhere.   As a CRP (Community Rail Partnership) we hope (often forlornly) to be alerted and informed - but even for us the jungle telegraph of the forum and other sources tells us ... filled when we question things with an email that starts " and firstly my apologies for not informing you ..."; I haven't had one of those since yesterday.

Not all bleak - on that front, even as I write, an incoming email "I just thought I ought to contact you both, regarding our ongoing problems "  ... THANK YOU - you know who you are. 

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: