I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:47:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe winter weather, February and March 2018  (Read 9846 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:28:07 »

With the impending weather of a wintry nature about to take place this week and possibly beyond, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread so we can try and keep everything that’s related to what happens and to report disruption etc.

To start the ball rolling, here’s a link to the National Rail Enquiries page where you can find the latest. Already TOCs (Train Operating Company), particularly to the East of the country are revising services from tonight onwards:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:40:32 »

Updated link

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/185048.aspx
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:54:10 »

From that link

Train operating companies in South West England have issued advance warning of possible service changes, or disruption to your journey:

South Western Railway advise that ice can cause problems for trains as it can prevent them from drawing power from the electrified third rail.

Please check your journey before you travel.

We are back to the debate about where is the South West.  To my mind there isn't much third rail in what I call the SW...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 09:55:01 »

Poole/Bournemouth to Weymouth?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 10:11:09 »

From that link

Train operating companies in South West England have issued advance warning of possible service changes, or disruption to your journey:

South Western Railway advise that ice can cause problems for trains as it can prevent them from drawing power from the electrified third rail.

Please check your journey before you travel.

We are back to the debate about where is the South West.  To my mind there isn't much third rail in what I call the SW...

No, but almost all trains go to or from Waterloo and need a lot of electric trains to play nicely and not get in the way.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 06:50:48 »

Snow already starting to fall here in the West.

Check GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey Check for the latest on the trains:
https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

And Met Office for the latest weather warnings:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-03-01

Currently an Amber warning for Ice and Snow. I think we could see a localised Red warning at some point later in the South West either for heavy snow or for freezing rain (nasty stuff) so take care everyone and stay safe.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 08:25:44 »

UPDATE:

As expected a RED warning has now been issued from 3pm covering Devon upwards covering Exeter, Taunton, Weston-super-Mare into South Wales covering Cardiff and the Valleys.

If you are travelling in these areas, try and complete your journeys before then.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:30:02 »

PADDINGTON STATION IS CLOSED

Paddington station is now closed due to severe weather, trains will terminate at Reading, but also as far west as Bristol.
GWR (Great Western Railway) advice: DO NOT TRAVEL

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 08:30:42 »

Paddington low-numbered platforms treacherous with wind-blown snow under the train shed.  Lawn also.  I was barely able to stand leaving my train this morning.  I now see lots of Up express cancellations and many ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves to Old Oak and Reading.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 10:19:51 »

PADDINGTON partially reopened
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 11:38:56 »

Paddington low-numbered platforms treacherous with wind-blown snow under the train shed.  Lawn also.  I was barely able to stand leaving my train this morning.  I now see lots of Up express cancellations and many ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves to Old Oak and Reading.

I'm not sure if this is the same as what Oxonhutch was saying but I found the platforms at Paddington extremely slippery this morning when I arrived about 730. I'm not sure what the flooring is made of (it seems to be of a marble consistency) but the combination of a lot of wet feet and this surface did not go together well.

Take extra care everyone!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 11:58:49 »

Both up and Down Cornish sleepers cancelled tonight. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 17:54:56 »

From Network Rail at 16:48

Railway Weather Update

Dear Stakeholder,

Please be aware that we expect we will continue to experience further severe weather this afternoon, tonight and tomorrow across the west and south west; we are anticipating this will impact the railway. We are working tirelessly to keep train services moving safely where possible, working closely with train and freight operators.

We have taken a number of proactive steps to reduce the impact of the severe weather; including running our snow plough, mobile teams monitoring critical points and junctions, and running trains throughout the night to keep lines open.

Safety remains our paramount concern and in agreement with GWR (Great Western Railway) some Cornwall and Devon branch lines were suspended.

Due to high tide and strong winds from Storm Emma, we will be winding down services through Dawlish in Devon during the evening. Due to the requirement to undertake safety inspections on the seawall and track, services are not likely to recommence until at least midday tomorrow.

We will keep you updated as the situation develops.

In the meantime we urge you to check services before you travel.

Yours sincerely,

Mark Langman
Western Route Managing Director, Network Rail

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 19:06:01 »

From First Bus West of England covering Bristol, Bath, Weston-S-M and Wells areas at 17:30 tonight.

Road conditions are very dangerous in many areas with Police shutting roads. For safety all buses still running are making their last journeys & will return to depots once complete. All services will be suspended overnight until at least 6am when updates will start #woesnowwatch

and this from First West of England makes a change, usually the tother way round,

Please remember First West of England bus tickets can be used on all GWR (Great Western Railway) rail services (however there are also delays and disruptions to the rail network) within the West of England operating area. #woesnowwatch
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 19:21:26 »

I'm not sure if this is the same as what Oxonhutch was saying but I found the platforms at Paddington extremely slippery this morning when I arrived about 730. I'm not sure what the flooring is made of (it seems to be of a marble consistency) but the combination of a lot of wet feet and this surface did not go together well.

Take extra care everyone!

French Lime Stone is the flooring at Paddington

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: