Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:43:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow in February 2018 affects services for up to 4 days  (Read 21586 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 09:06:56 »

Trains in Cornwall have frozen to a halt.

Some points on the camborne area reportedly frozen

Not helped by the lights on the booms at Roskear Level Crossing failing and a points problem restricting access out of Long Rock depot and platforms at Penzance.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 09:48:15 »

Cost of obtainig & keeping equipment on standby is why everything falls over in the south at an inch of snow. Is it cost effective to have this equipment on standby when itmay likely only be needed twice in a decade? Or just put up with a coupleof days disruption every decade or so?

Ok, on your advise from a Diretor I won't raise it with the secretary. I hope there winon't be ice/snow in Taunton on Saturday. But I'' not asconfident as you obviously are
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 10:18:03 »

.............whereas in most other countries people just shrug their shoulders, put on an extra layer and get on with it, and the system doesn't seem to collapse like ours at the first sign of a snowflake.

I think that most places cope as well as you'd expect given how often they experience snow.

Do you remember that Paris was severely disrupted by snow just three weeks ago? It was forecast as 5-10 cm, and that was generally what they got - it was reported as 10-20 cm, but most likely that was just the deepest patches. What really caused the chaos was the usual one: roads full of traffic so the gritters couldn't treat them. They banned all HGVs from Paris, and a few roads closed - worst was the D118 from Port d'Orléans out to Versailles, where 900 cars were stuck overnight on high ground in the Foret de Meudon.

SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) Ile-de-France hoped to run well over half their trains, but some lines were much worse because so many drivers could not get in to work. They also had teams out defrosting points with gas torches, and generally kept the track open. But they did really have snow, so at the moment our railways do seem to be a bunch of - snowflakes?

Any snow immediately reduces the capacity of a road, so if it happens in a peak there are instant jams. We don't have any common understanding that, to prevent that, fewer cars should be on the roads.  That implies a lot of people saying "I'll stay in/wait/cancel a meeting" so others can move around - and who would? And it's not much easier for "them" - some authority - to impose that, even if they could invent a way of doing it.

Of course once snow is deep enough to fill some cars' ground clearance, it's proper 4WD and other special vehicles only, even on the flat. Last time we had that - just - I could cope once the snow stopped on fresh snow if there were no other cars about, or on a treated road even if busy. But heavy snow mid-afternoon, or a few cars not coping with lying snow, and you might as well give up.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 10:21:21 »

SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) Ile-de-France hoped to run well over half their trains, but some lines were much worse because so many drivers could not get in to work.

This of course is another problem....20-30 years ago (only about 4 snow editions ago!), many staff lived local to their work - nowadays, most have a commute just to get to work....
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 10:26:11 »

Last time we had that - just - I could cope once the snow stopped on fresh snow if there were no other cars about, or on a treated road even if busy. But heavy snow mid-afternoon, or a few cars not coping with lying snow, and you might as well give up.

Last time we had proper snow (in Cornwall, 2010) I drove Cornwall to Cardiff, the only issues I encountered were caused by other less capable cars/drivers getting in the way on hills where a run up was useful. I had a diesel Vectra back then.
I don’t believe I’ll be so successful this year, I’ve now a Bmw (rear wheel drive), which are infamously awful in icy conditions according to the Internet. It has struggled leaving my house on the hill in frost a couple of times so I suspect the Internet maybe right!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 13:22:11 »

.....nothing much for the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to worry about though.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rail-operators-compensation-snow-disruption-network-rail-delays-travel-chaos-a8230106.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 18:19:36 »

Some pretty heavy snow showers in Oxfordshire but just over the border into Wiltshire and next to nothing (so far).

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 18:26:53 »

There has been a dusting in Didcot Smiley
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 22:05:45 »

There has been a dusting in Didcot Smiley

Then Didcot has stolen a march on my spring clean!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 22:15:46 »

Thus far just the odd dusting here in South Somerset.

Bitterly cold though. I've bought Finn a nice thermal coat. Attached image of him modelling it at Lyme Regis a couple days ago.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 22:37:49 »

Left work at marsh mills at 2100, lots of it settled and even the A38 had a settling across the carriageway between Forder Valley and manadon on the carriageway. Get to Weston Mill and not a sign of snow and wouldn’t believe there’s a fair bit settled a mile away

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 23:42:40 »

Thus far just the odd dusting here in South Somerset.

Bitterly cold though. I've bought Finn a nice thermal coat. Attached image of him modelling it at Lym
e Regis a couple days ago.

Looks cool (sic) but my 'guest cat' has firmly decided that my dressing gown, in a Terry Thomas stylie is not her hers alone Hmmm, this is not finished.
hassaanhc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 00:47:29 »

At least GWR (Great Western Railway) didn't do what TfL» (Transport for London - about) (both London Overground and TfL Rail divisions) did, and have an early finish on Monday, late start on Tuesday and a reduced frequency (with some sections having no service at all) even after it became clear that the overnight snow would miss pretty much the whole of London Huh . Now tonight the eastern half of London will be having snow, and there has been a less extreme reduction in services. Yes I'm aware that Network Rail had some input there, but Greater Anglia seemed to have got services started earlier. Either way that entire mess has left London looking like a laughing stock not just in the UK (United Kingdom) but across the world.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:46 »

I do think that TravelWatch SouthWest ought to be considering whether to cancel Saturday already ...

Conversation around the TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) board yesterday, and with the venue ... meeting goes ahead.  There are factors both ways, but significantly more logic in going ahead than in cancelling.  Consideration needs indeed to be taken for members (and has been); we routinely have a sprinkling of guests from other areas (North West, South East ...) and are mindful they may not be able to get there; suggestion is that they take no risks as (indeed, as the point was made) the meeting is unlikely to be life changing for them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:25 »

Steam Dreams have had to cancel their annual St David's Day trip from Paddington to Cardiff tomorrow (1st March) due to the weather.   

The scheduled loco 70013 Oliver Cromwell is stuck in Norfolk after being successfully repaired but the conditions in East Anglia meant it was unlikely to it could be moved to London in time.  The option of diesel haulage was considered but in view of the weather forecast the decision has been taken to postpone the trip until 14th June.  Oliver Cromwell will have been retired by then so another steam loco will be found.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: