Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:16:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow in February 2018 affects services for up to 4 days  (Read 21431 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 27, 2018, 04:56:38 »

Oh help - I failed to note the site / URL for my source on this:

Here’s how it’s all looking so far for Monday evening and night.

South Eastern - Passengers are advised to complete journeys by 6pm to try and avoid disruption.

C2C – Reduced services to run after 9pm with some cancellations. No services from Liverpool Street or Stratford. A reduced timetable is planned for Tuesday.

Greater Anglia – No services after 10pm and only a limited service in operation from 6am until 10pm on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Stansted Express – No services from Liverpool Street after 10.25pm on Monday. Services from Stansted Airport back to London are cancelled from 11.30pm.

Great Northern - No trains between London and Cambridge after 10.04 on Monday. A heavily reduced timetable will be in place on Tuesday.

TfL» (Transport for London - about) rail - No services from 11pm Monday until 7am on Tuesday.

Thameslink, Gatwick Express, Southern - Disruption to services is expected on Monday and may continue on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Passengers are advised services may also be cancelled by early evening.

And from s Southern passenger site (ABC) commenting on it:

No surprise there. It’s much more ‘cost effective’ to cancel services due to ‘adverse’ weather than ...

I have to admit as to being puzzled at the potential of four days of disruption on one TOC (Train Operating Company) when the ones all around them are alerting for a maximum of two.   Are Southern the only ones being realistic, are they being opportunistic, or is Hayward's Heath the eye of the snowstorm?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:44:37 »

Any excuse not to run trains and blame the weather. Feel for exasperated commuters in the South East and East England. Yes there’s been snow in places but not everywhere.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:09:53 »

I take it the Trans SiberIan is running as usual despite a bit of snow?
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:20:45 »

I have to admit as to being puzzled at the potential of four days of disruption on one TOC (Train Operating Company) when the ones all around them are alerting for a maximum of two.   Are Southern the only ones being realistic, are they being opportunistic, or is Hayward's Heath the eye of the snowstorm?

To be fair to Southern, the forecast for all of southern England on Thursday, inc much of GWR (Great Western Railway) land, is dreadful (and for Friday), so they may actually be being more realistic. In fact, on Friday, I suspect GWR will be particularly hard hit, which doesn't help my own travel plans for that day.  Angry
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:29:37 »

To be fair to Southern, the forecast for all of southern England on Thursday, inc much of GWR (Great Western Railway) land, is dreadful (and for Friday), so they may actually be being more realistic. In fact, on Friday, I suspect GWR will be particularly hard hit, which doesn't help my own travel plans for that day.  Angry

I thought I was being fair offering the options that they're the realistic one. Time will tell, and even then it's based on probabilities and approximations.   

Personally having Southampton on Friday, Taunton on Saturday and on to Manchester for Sunday, Pewsey on Monday and up and down between Swindon and Warminster on Tuesday and Wednesday, Bath on Thursday and Chippenham on Friday of next week, I can't help wondering how I might get on ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:26 »

Thursday/Friday does appear to be atrocious weather, but the orange warning today has always been for Kent, not Essex. Greater Anglian spokeslady on Breakfast hasjust said that there was aforecast NR» (Network Rail - home page) received for 30cm of snow in Essex. Thats a foot of snow. NR need asking who supplied that forecast, coz its not materialised, & indeed the well-known forecasters haven't made anything like that forecast for Essex

I do think that TravelWatch SouthWest ought to be considering whether to cancel Saturday already....asking people of average ages (mostly retired & some with disability) to travel for what is really an unnecessary meeting is sensible looking at Fridays forecast...those on Advsnce tickets need to get them changed *before* date of travel or lose them.

Im sure cancelling the meeting won't change anyones work or leisure life...its for info only.

The forecast for Sunday onwards isfor higher temperatures ad a thaw....
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:55:28 »

Thursday/Friday does appear to be atrocious weather, but the orange warning today has always been for Kent, not Essex. Greater Anglian spokeslady on Breakfast hasjust said that there was aforecast NR» (Network Rail - home page) received for 30cm of snow in Essex. Thats a foot of snow. NR need asking who supplied that forecast, coz its not materialised, & indeed the well-known forecasters haven't made anything like that forecast for Essex
Just gone through the radar from last night and it looks like Norfolk/Suffolk and Essex saw very few snow showers with Kent and East Sussex where the main snow is currently falling right where the Met put the Amber warning so good forecasting by them  Smiley
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:30:28 »

.............whereas in most other countries people just shrug their shoulders, put on an extra layer and get on with it, and the system doesn't seem to collapse like ours at the first sign of a snowflake.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:39 »

An archived forecast (taken from an American based site!) issued last Friday says (my bolding):
A yellow snow warning has been issued in the U.K. for next week.  Starting at 2pm on Monday in eastern England before spreading to cover large parts of the country on Tuesday and Wednesday.  The effects will be localized and the worst areas could see up to 8 inches in total, whilst other areas will hardly see any.
So no foot of snow, but very hit and miss, which I guess makes it difficult to plan. Eastern England is fairly vague, but the forecasts firmed up on areas a bit later. In reality much of it appears further north than originally predicted.

Thursday and Friday has been more problematic as models haven't agreed on extent and area of snow, and have flip-flopped internally from run to run as well. For example some have pushed the bulk more westwards falling over Ireland. What does seem more likely now is that the cold weather could be all over by the end of the weekend, rather than extending further.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:43:45 »

An archived forecast (taken from an American based site!) issued last Friday says (my bolding):
A yellow snow warning has been issued in the U.K. for next week.  Starting at 2pm on Monday in eastern England before spreading to cover large parts of the country on Tuesday and Wednesday.  The effects will be localized and the worst areas could see up to 8 inches in total, whilst other areas will hardly see any.
So no foot of snow, but very hit and miss, which I guess makes it difficult to plan. Eastern England is fairly vague, but the forecasts firmed up on areas a bit later. In reality much of it appears further north than originally predicted.

Thursday and Friday has been more problematic as models haven't agreed on extent and area of snow, and have flip-flopped internally from run to run as well. For example some have pushed the bulk more westwards falling over Ireland. What does seem more likely now is that the cold weather could be all over by the end of the weekend, rather than extending further.

Check out @networkrail’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/networkrail/status/968168809340190721?s=09

NR» (Network Rail - home page) suggesting that all of 2 inches of snow will be sufficient......

"as much as 5-10cm in places"  Roll Eyes
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:49:19 »

I got the now standard sarcastic texts from my sister in Scotland about a 'bit of snow'. They've had snow on a fairly regular basis since November but doesn't fill up the news headlines.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:38 »

They wouldn't have got the classic 'wrong type of snow' as this is  Grin

I can recall a few years back everything grinding to a halt when I was in Frankfurt for 2cm of snow.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 08:58:50 »

I do think that TravelWatch SouthWest ought to be considering whether to cancel Saturday already....asking people of average ages (mostly retired & some with disability) to travel for what is really an unnecessary meeting is sensible looking at Fridays forecast...those on Advsnce tickets need to get them changed *before* date of travel or lose them.

I'm sure you shared these thoughts with the secretary / chair?  That way they'll be able to take on board the member view and situation.    I am not a meteorologist - but it does look to me as is the main issues will be in the South East rather than the South West - and TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website)'s covers Swindon to Penzance.   Clearly some of the transport that people use is trains from London, but we really shouldn't cancel / postpone a SW meeting because of weather in the next area across ...

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 09:01:15 »

Trains in Cornwall have frozen to a halt.

Some points on the camborne area reportedly frozen

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 09:02:27 »

I'm sure you shared these thoughts with the secretary / chair?  That way they'll be able to take on board the member view and situation.    I am not a meteorologist - but it does look to me as is the main issues will be in the South East rather than the South West - and TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website)'s covers Swindon to Penzance.   Clearly some of the transport that people use is trains from London, but we really shouldn't cancel / postpone a SW meeting because of weather in the next area across ...

The weather forecast I’ve just seen said turning mild in the southwest on Friday, that’ll melt anything that may happen!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: