13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
09:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 11:36:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[192] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[102] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[86] Death of another bus station?
[51] You see all sorts on the bus.
[49] "Mayflower"

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow in February 2018 affects services for up to 4 days  (Read 21573 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2018, 11:18:26 »

Not been made clear yet why the Didcot-Oxford shuttles aren't running in anything I've seen. Nor what has happened to the stopping service from Didcot onwards. They have vanished from CIS (Customer Information System) information, not even there as cancelled.
Good question, I caught the train to Oxford this morning but had to return on the bus.
It seems to me that as soon as Paddington was shut the service just collapsed.
There have been no trains from Oxford to Didcot for 4 hours and none scheduled until after 12:00 and for 3 hours between Didcot and Oxford.
I fail too comprehend how the buses can run but the trains can't, isn't there any resilience?
It is very cold here (Didcot and Oxford) but there is hardly any snow we had more in December.

Precious little resilience these days I'm afraid.  Resourcing managers have been cut to the point where Control can't cope as soon as things go more than slightly awry.  In the 'good old days' the Traincrew Supervisor at Oxford would have taken the lead at times of disruption ensuring his staff, and available trains in the area, were used in the most effective way - which was usually an all-stations shuttle service of some sort for the local trains.  Appleford often got its best ever service when there was disruption!  Now there is no supervisor at Oxford, so it gets forgotten amongst the 'more important' stuff.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2018, 11:45:13 »

I take it all the appropriate platforms/areas were gritted/salted overnight?

I saw plenty of staff late last night treating platforms at several stations.  Not much you could do with Paddington though given the extensive use of terrazzo tiles and the wind blowing snow into places it would never normally reach.

That's a "no" then! ................sadly, as ever the threat from terrazzo is never far away these days!  Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2018, 11:55:34 »

That's a "no" then! ................sadly, as ever the threat from terrazzo is never far away these days!  Wink

Given that part of the area is known as the Lawn, perhaps they should rip up the terrazzo and replace it with grass?   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2018, 12:22:22 »

Given that part of the area is known as the Lawn, perhaps they should rip up the terrazzo and replace it with grass?   Wink

...........how about a water feature? Maybe with Mark Hopwood as a cherub?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2018, 12:39:39 »

From Southern (with whom this thread started) on Twitter

@SouthernRailUK

⚠️Due to an 8 foot icicle in a tunnel at #Balcolmbe, services between Brighton and Gatwick are subject to delay. Engineers are working to remove this icicle.

Original discussion asked if Southern were right in suggesting disruption for up to 4 days when others said just a day or two.  Looks like Southern may have been the ones who were closer to what would happen and even they may have underestimated!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2018, 13:53:45 »

I have no problem with terazzo per se, but they must make available alternatives live bloody great mats for incelement weather. Or rip the terazzo up for something more suitable in all weathers!

They used terazzo simply because it is ultra-smooth & thus very weasy to keep clean. No one gave any thought to the regular inclement weather, did they @nationalrailPAD?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2018, 14:02:44 »

... live bloody great mats  ...

... very weasy to keep clean ...

And ice on keyboard causing fingers to slip .. or are you back onto the idea of grass on the lawn  Grin

Love the idea of coughing and spluttering in the cold as one keeps the ground clean.

The surfaces in Paddington ARE lovely but even in the wet they get slippery to the extent that there are warnings. I can well imagine how they must have got this morning!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2018, 14:06:04 »

*like :-)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2018, 14:07:53 »

Rather appealed to my sense of humour that the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) sent a reporter called Victoria to cover the situation at Paddington.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2018, 14:10:43 »

Rather appealed to my sense of humour that the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) sent a reporter called Victoria to cover the situation at Paddington.

Yes.  Apparently Peter King's cross he wasn't sent.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2018, 14:57:48 »

Surely Mary Le Bone would have been closer to Paddington.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2018, 15:08:58 »

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46583.aspx

From the top of (I suspect all) pages on National Rail

Heavy snow affecting Britain

Train companies affected: Arriva Trains Wales, c2c, Caledonian Sleeper, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, Gatwick Express, Grand Central, Great Western Railway, Greater Anglia, Heathrow Express, Hull Trains, London Overground, Merseyrail, Northern, ScotRail, South Western Railway, Southeastern, Southern, Stansted Express, TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail, Thameslink, TransPennine Express, Virgin Trains, Virgin Trains East Coast,

Can help feeling "Train companies affected: All" would have been clearer - or are there one or two missing from the list?

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2018, 15:25:27 »

Bit like the Devon/Cornwall school closures announced on the radio today.  They went through a detailed list of over 200 schools.  It would have been better to say "all schools closed except......"  Roll Eyes
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2018, 15:31:25 »

I was there this morning at 0715 off 1A02 in platform 5. Although in walking boots, it was very difficult not to slide and I chose to stick to the tactile paving on the platforms.  The Lawn was something else - like it had been greased. I was surprised the station was not shut sooner.

The snow appeared to be coming down through the Brunel roof. It was very cold and the snow a fine dry powder.  I suspect it was blowing in through air vents in the roof. I chose to leave town via Marylebone and Oxford.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2018, 16:40:28 »

The snow appeared to be coming down through the Brunel roof. It was very cold and the snow a fine dry powder.  I suspect it was blowing in through air vents in the roof.

That was happening yesterday too - heading home I was unexpectedly rewarded with a generous mouthful of powdery snow at the top of the stairs to P2.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: