I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:49:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Compensation Delays  (Read 6006 times)
Wrightly

View Profile Email
« on: February 27, 2018, 17:02:33 »

Hi all,

Has anyone had any problems regarding a compensation claim?

I made one in August 2017 following delays, was told a cheque was being sent, rung up 2 months later to be told they'd sent it to the wrong address and a manager needed to speak to me. Since then I've rung up on a monthly basis to spend ages waiting and then be told exactly the same thing! They never call back and I reckon they're stalling until I give up. Has this happened to anyone before? It's now been nearly 7 months!

I even recommended crediting my GWR (Great Western Railway) account as it could be done instantly and then at least the money would have to be spent with them, alas I was told no.  Huh

If anyone from GWR reads this the ref is GWRR170918BHGY.

Please sort out your customer service!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 18:24:47 »

Hi all,

Has anyone had any problems regarding a compensation claim?

I made one in August 2017 following delays, was told a cheque was being sent, rung up 2 months later to be told they'd sent it to the wrong address and a manager needed to speak to me. Since then I've rung up on a monthly basis to spend ages waiting and then be told exactly the same thing! They never call back and I reckon they're stalling until I give up. Has this happened to anyone before? It's now been nearly 7 months!

I even recommended crediting my GWR (Great Western Railway) account as it could be done instantly and then at least the money would have to be spent with them, alas I was told no.  Huh

If anyone from GWR reads this the ref is GWRR170918BHGY.

Please sort out your customer service!

Welcome to the forum, Wrightly ... no guarantee that anyone from GWR will read this and pick it up ... but it wouldn't surprise me.  Please let us know what happens ... and please come back to us if nothing happens.

This forum does disclose email addresses, etc ... however, should anyone from GWR get in touch with any of the admins about this, we can pass on the message to you (via personal message system).  That will allow GWR to respond even if the GWR person hasn't registered as a member, as my email address is public knowledge.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Wrightly

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 15:17:19 »

Whether it was due to this forum or pure coincidence, I had reply from GWR (Great Western Railway) a couple of hours ago and things are hopefully now sorted.  Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 00:59:45 »

Thank you for the update, Wrightly.  Smiley

To have your outstanding claim from nearly seven months ago resolved within 24 hours of your posting here on the Coffee Shop forum does suggest to me that someone from GWR (Great Western Railway) did see it, and dealt with it.  Roll Eyes

Thank you for your action (albeit belatedly), GWR.

CfN.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:02:16 »

Whether it was due to this forum or pure coincidence, I had reply from GWR (Great Western Railway) a couple of hours ago and things are hopefully now sorted.  Smiley

Glad to hear it got resolved eventually - against the backdrop of the overall woeful level of customer service offered by GWR, the delays in response to communication/compensation claims stand out as particularly appalling and have been ongoing for well over a year - was there any explanation as to why this claim took so long and also do any of those with "inside knowledge" have any updates on if/how GWR are addressing the situation with a view to improvement?

In my experience, the only way to catalyse a response of any sort is to email Hopwood directly, cc'ing as many newspapers/politicians as possible.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 09:22:13 »

The last note I had with a compensation cheque said there had been delays due to the number of claims received and also the moving of the operation back to the UK (United Kingdom).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:45:27 »

The last note I had with a compensation cheque said there had been delays due to the number of claims received and also the moving of the operation back to the UK (United Kingdom).

Interesting. I wonder how much GWR (Great Western Railway) wasted on offshoring this function no doubt thinking it would save money, realising it wasn't working, and then bringing it back on shore again.

Having been involved in a similar exercise a few years back for a far larger Business, at the least I'd put it in the high six figures range by the time a new supplier has been sourced and is up and running.

Let's hope they've learned the lessons and resource it adequately this time, as the volume of complaints/compensation claims is only going to rise as the dismal service continues.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 13:06:03 »

It was offshore with Serco (formerly Intelenet, formerly FirstInfo) and is now UK (United Kingdom) based with the woeful Capita.

Not sure which is worse. Using operatives with a poor grasp of UK rail idiosyncracies. Or using a company notorious for cost cutting, poor staff relations and being a jack of all trades but master of none.

When was GWR (Great Western Railway)/FGWs (First Great Western) customer service at its best? When it was run by FirstGroup's FirstInfo, effectively in house. When was the social media at its best? When the operatives were directly employed. The rot set in when Serco, then Capita, took over.

It tells you a lot when one of the best customer service staff FGW ever had, (known in these parts) decided on a career change. Instrumental in setting up FGWs social media, which was fantastic before being outsourced, he now drives trains.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 13:15:35 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 15:01:20 »

Yep agreed - this is an ongoing infuriating issue. Not looking forward to seeing how long it takes them to pay up for the void day(s) this week..when they get declared
Birdie100

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 15:35:44 »

Will they get declared though - given the snow was 'inclement weather', and nothing to do with the railway, im certainly not expecting them to be generous and void it?
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 17:35:26 »

As of yesterday, Thursday has already been declared a void day, I just hope it applies to all routes...

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 19:38:16 »

Is GWR (Great Western Railway)’s social media not operated by them?
the void

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 09:19:16 »

I wonder how much GWR (Great Western Railway) wasted on offshoring this function no doubt thinking it would save money, realising it wasn't working, and then bringing it back on shore again.

GWR never actively chose to offshore the function - the FirstInfo business was sold (by FirstGroup not FGW (First Great Western)/GWR) to Intelenet Global Services (who were already handling the National Rail Enquiries contract from Mumbai). Intelenet retained the contact centre in Plymouth, but they did move some of the work streams out to their Indian contact centre. When the contract came up for renewal (it is a FirstGroup contract - it covers TPE (Trans Pennine Express) and Hull Trains in addition to GWR) it was awarded to Capita and all work streams moved onshore as a result. GWR do have an in-house Customer Support team too, still based in Plymouth. This team was set up after Intelenet bought FirstInfo. They handle all the difficult stuff (like all the emails sent to Mark Hopwood) and sort out all the cock-ups that Capita make.
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 21:30:05 »

Confirmed that void days were declared on 1 and 2 March (except LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) on 2nd).

Shall we have a sweepstake to figure out how long it'll take to get a refund for these void days?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 04:13:36 »

Confirmed that void days were declared on 1 and 2 March (except LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) on 2nd).

Shall we have a sweepstake to figure out how long it'll take to get a refund for these void days?

Aren't void days added onto the expiry date when a season ticket is renewed unless its not renewed.

I'm still waiting for a response to my claim for the cancellation of my outward and return booked journeys from 24/02/2018 - ha-ha.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: