Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:35:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd March 2018 - Severe weather - advice not to travel  (Read 11610 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 21:56:28 »

Sea looks pretty angry at Teignmouth.

Not alone. You should see Mrs FT, N!

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 22:07:07 »

Yes information on websites has been extremely poor, and continues to be. I was due to travel to Bournemouth today, and real time info always showed trains as if they were running on time, while Journey Check just listed a number of routes where there were no services but made no mention of the Cardiff to Portsmouth line. I don't have a smartphone, and if it hadn't been for friends whose apps showed all trains cancelled, I wouldn't have known. Meanwhile, the South West Trains website showed info about their services very clearly - that all services to Bournemouth were cancelled.

I still have no idea if traveling tomorrow will be possible and even worth attempting, and don't have much faith in being able to find out in time (I will need to travel early if I travel at all).

Two thoughts:

1. The TransWilts app is online via http://train.fyi   (won't tell you much tonight, as most trains have finished)

2. Again via browser - http://www.wellho.net/railmaps/clim.php  (links from map at top of page) ... click on station to get the departure board from there.  Under test - will switch to tiger when it's back working properly - tiger has been poorly today so at the vets.

Not sure if I'm making valid suggestions for you, or aiming at a completely different target ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 22:19:10 »

Now that trains have virtually stopped running for the night the GWR (Great Western Railway) website is up and running again..... Roll Eyes Tongue
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2018, 00:36:55 »

Now that trains have virtually stopped running for the night the GWR (Great Western Railway) website is up and running again..... Roll Eyes Tongue

I know what you mean - through the problem really was that trains had virtually stopped running for the whole day in many parts!   Cheesy

Unlike a real life queue, users joining a queue for a website that lacks capacity don't have a visual feedback that they thing's got a long queue so join anyway ... rather that being able to say "goodness all those people" and look for an alternative - indeed, they will keep trying if they get dropped and simply make it worse!

One would imagine that GW (Great Western)'s web site designers, server providers and admins have robustness testing in place. The lack of too many "oh sh*t" times suggests to me that they do have continuous integration (perhaps with Jenkins) and behaviour and / or test driven development and / or load testing in place - things like unittest, Cucumber, Gherkin, Selenium, Watir Webdrivers and Jmeter.   But I do wonder what the "busiest" scenario that they have tested has as its upper levels, and whether they may lack load sharing with a system of brining more servers into the pool quickly (or even automatically).  Could it really be just a big server that "should have enough umph", or could it be that the load sharer at the 'front desk' of handling the traffic itself has hit its limit?

But there have been issues with industry feeds during the last 24 hours ... and those issues themselves may have somewhat been reflected back at the front end - especially if somewhere within the server system the backroom data gathering function is struggling to get accurate information itself, and when it does get information to be able to assimilate the quantity thats far larger than usual, as well as requiring (like us web site users) to try a number of time because the Network Rail feeds keep failing due to load.

I'm asking questions that I don't expect to be answered. And a risk assessment suggests this is something that doesn't happen terribly often, and when it does the effect is a bit of irritation rather than being a danger or safety risk.  So I don't expect a lot of money to be chucked at fixing it.   I do like the idea of an extra layer of front page that gives a very short and rapid status report without all the fancy graphics and perhaps with some more caching ... but then there IS typically a news flash status on the front page - so perhaps we're already some way down that line - or as far as the graphic artists will let us go without killing the professional and consistent look and feel of GWR.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2018, 00:44:53 »

At 4 O'Clock this morning, I started this thread quoting JourneyCheck

Further Information

An update will follow within the next 6 hours.
Individual train service alterations may not appear on journey check, our advice is not to travel.
Last Updated:02/03/2018 03:24

Sixty seconds ago I rechecked and it still reads exactly the same.   What happened to the update due by 09:24 ... It's now 18:43!  

Updated  Grin Grin Grin ...or rather re-timestamped.  Now reads

Cancellations to services on all routes

Due to severe weather between London Paddington and Penzance all lines are disrupted.
Train services running across the whole Great Western Railway network may be cancelled. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer Advice
Due to the heavy snow and heavy freeze overnight, train services will start later today than the normal timetable and some lines may not start at all. The advice is not to travel, if you start your journey we can not guarantee that you will get to your destination and we will not be able to provide alternative transport due to adverse road conditions. We aim to reinstate services when we can but this in some cases may not be at all during today, Friday 2nd March. Mainline and branchline services along the whole GWR (Great Western Railway) network are expected to be affected by the weather conditions.

Further Information
Individual train service alterations may not appear on journey check, our advice is not to travel.
Last Updated:02/03/2018 22:07

I'm not clear if "train services will start later today" still applies to 2nd March (at 22:07 on that day) or to what is now today - 3rd March.   I loo forward to finding out the story when I wake in the morning.   'night all !

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2018, 01:43:08 »

It's an interesting question as to how much you scale up for exception circumstances. Its not that difficult to test with modern tools but I guess its how much do you want to spend for those once a year scenarios. We spend a lot on it but its rather a different setup and I don't want to point fingers too much as we had occasional glitches as well. Also from what I understand from all those young people at work its not so much the amount of data as the number of connections so I don't know how much a low res site would help.

Personally it was the lack of information (sound familiar) was frustrating as I didn't know whether to try go into work or not. I know GWR (Great Western Railway) probably didn't have much information themselves but not being able to see the little there was on the website meant I couldn't make an informed (or slightly better informed) decision.

Twitter wasn't much help - "we're really busy right now...." but I know from experience that GWR are one of the poorer TOCs (Train Operating Company) for providing Agency Wire information (that's information from Reuters, AP etc to Broadcasters) so I'm not entirely willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 04:40:37 »

Advice is not to travel again today - Saturday 3rd March 2018.

Cancellations to services on all routes

Due to severe weather between London Paddington and Penzance all lines are disrupted.
Train services running across the whole Great Western Railway network may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer Advice
Due to the continued poor weather conditions, train services will start later today than the normal timetable and some lines may not start at all. The advice is not to travel, if you start your journey we can not guarantee that you will get to your destination and we will not be able to provide alternative transport due to adverse road conditions. We aim to reinstate services when we can but this in some cases may not be at all during today, Saturday 3rd March. Mainline and branchline services along the whole GWR (Great Western Railway) network are expected to be affected by the weather conditions.

Further Information
Last Updated:03/03/2018 03:00

Thanks to GWR for their update from last night's message within the timeframe they gave, and for updating the message to make it clear which day to applied to.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 08:21:05 »

From Network Rail:

Thanks to our engineers working non-stop in freezing conditions yesterday and through the night, the railway line through Dawlish; connecting Devon and Cornwall to the rest of Britain; has reopened this morning for rail services.

Thank you to our customers for their patience while we made the railway safe for passenger services.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 08:21:40 »

I loo forward to finding out the story when I wake in the morning.   'night all !
[/quote]

I heartily commend grahame's effort to pass on as much essential information as possible....but do wee really need to know about his night time habits ? Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 08:25:33 »

I loo forward to finding out the story when I wake in the morning.   'night all !

I heartily commend grahame's effort to pass on as much essential information as possible....but do wee really need to know about his night time habits ? Roll Eyes

No, you don't.  But 'twas Billy the dog needed to answer the call of nature - I withheld my personal data!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 08:52:36 »

From Network Rail:

Thanks to our engineers working non-stop in freezing conditions yesterday and through the night, the railway line through Dawlish; connecting Devon and Cornwall to the rest of Britain; has reopened this morning for rail services.

Thank you to our customers for their patience while we made the railway safe for passenger services.

Looking at Opentraintimes maps, it seems single line working has been introduced with all trains using the up line (the one furthest for the sea).   Down trains cross over at Dawlish Warren and back again at Teignmouth.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2018, 10:01:13 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) have just tweeted that:

#Dawlish update 09:45: Both railway lines through Dawlish; connecting Devon and Cornwall to the rest of Britain; have reopened for rail services.

Thank you for your patience while we made the railway safe for passenger services.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2018, 19:58:51 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) services for tomorrow posted as three separate tweets on the GWR Twitter page - LTV (London [and] Thames Valley), High Speed and West Local services. Check them out if travelling tomorrow.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2018, 20:29:07 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) services for tomorrow posted as three separate tweets on the GWR Twitter page - LTV (London [and] Thames Valley), High Speed and West Local services. Check them out if travelling tomorrow.

Lots of trains are going to need to get back to where they belong, fuelled, tanked, examined etc ready to launch a normal service on Monday.

The exam backlog is going to mean even more 'more trains needing repair than normal' than normal.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2018, 21:10:48 »

Looking at Opentraintimes maps, it seems single line working has been introduced with all trains using the up line (the one furthest for the sea).   Down trains cross over at Dawlish Warren and back again at Teignmouth.

Still happening. I just (on OpenTrainsTimes) watched 1C92 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ cross over at Dawlish Warren.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: