Train RunningShort Run
21:25 Evesham to London Paddington
24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 23:38:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[107] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[65] Death of another bus station?
[44] "Mayflower"
[38] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disruption map - you can now drill down to your station and individual train  (Read 4432 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:37 »

The disruption map at the top of this page provides a quick look at where there are problems with GWR (Great Western Railway) trains right across the South West and South Wales - a graphic form of Journey Check, and there's a link to Journey Check just below it.

Initially as an experiment ... I have added

Step 1 - click on the disruption map and you get a larger map showing all the network stations in th area

Step 2 - click on an individual station and you get a report from that station

Step 3 - select an individual trains to see how it's doing.

All from industry feeds / taking the best available for any particular station.

Let me know if this is any use and ideas.  I did have a possible idea of zooming the map that comes up at stage one, centering it based on where you click on the initial map, and adding in full station names.  Time constratints mean that would be an exercise for some time in the future though.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 12:36:00 »

This looks useful.  I already get this by opening different web sites in turn so it is nice to see it on one place.

Can you add to the enhancement list the ability to save a specific station in browser favourites.  ie if I want to check Yattton I could open a favourite and not drill down from the main map.

I do love the way a whole set of web sites are appearing using the public train information feeds.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 13:19:31 »

Can anything be done about the station codes being piled up in areas with many stations. It makes it almost impossible to bring up the information for a particular station when using touch screen devices.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 13:21:20 »

Can anything be done about the station codes being piled up in areas with many stations. It makes it almost impossible to bring up the information for a particular station when using touch screen devices.

Would this work for you?

I did have a possible idea of zooming the map that comes up at stage one, centering it based on where you click on the initial map, and adding in full station names.  Time constratints mean that would be an exercise for some time in the future though.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 14:30:47 »

It would.  Smiley

I read that in your OP (Original Poster / topic starter) and it went in one synapse and out another, before I replied. Apologies.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 21:15:29 »

Many thanks for adding that enhanced feature to the Coffee Shop forum, grahame.  Wink

We obviously hope, however, that the initial map doesn't look quite as bad as this too often:

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 22:27:39 »

This is an excellent development, Graham thank you.  I just tried it out for curiosity and find that that the last* train from Yatton this evening is cancelled and the reason given is 'Planning Error'.  Without making the obvious jibe that this invites, I wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to what reasons might lie behind such an 'error'.

*Edit to correct: not the last train, just the last one to be shown when I first looked.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 22:47:13 by trainer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 04:31:54 »

This is an excellent development, Graham thank you.  I just tried it out for curiosity and find that that the last* train from Yatton this evening is cancelled and the reason given is 'Planning Error'.  Without making the obvious jibe that this invites, I wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to what reasons might lie behind such an 'error'.

*Edit to correct: not the last train, just the last one to be shown when I first looked.

Historically, that's been where there hasn't been a drive rostered, or the driver rostered has been sent to the wrong place at the wrong time.  Could also apply to conductor or train.   What's behind it is an awful lot of complex planning, sometimes at very short notice indeed, which we very rarely hear about and usually works remarkably well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:41:41 by grahame » Logged

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 11:41:47 »

This looks useful.  I already get this by opening different web sites in turn so it is nice to see it on one place.

Can you add to the enhancement list the ability to save a specific station in browser favourites.  ie if I want to check Yattton I could open a favourite and not drill down from the main map.

I do love the way a whole set of web sites are appearing using the public train information feeds.

No need, I have looked at the generated URL and it appears to link to the Tiger data feed which I have saved.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 12:51:40 »

No need, I have looked at the generated URL and it appears to link to the Tiger data feed which I have saved.

Not quite that straightforward - it uses Tiger where it's available and another source where it isn't.  I understand that more stations may become available via Tiger in the next year or so, and if so I'll update the data file.

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 09:05:56 »

Just a note, its not using Tiger for eg. Goring & Streatley (GOR), but that is available on TIGER:

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/renderstaffsoad.asp?file=30508E.xml
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 12:14:01 »

Just a note, its not using Tiger for eg. Goring & Streatley (GOR), but that is available on TIGER:

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/renderstaffsoad.asp?file=30508E.xml

I suspect that's because it's one of those posh places with an "&" in its name.   Now switched to Tiger, & I need to look at Windsor & Eton, & a few others.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: