21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:31:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad incident near Weston Milton - person hit by train - 6 Mar 2018  (Read 7957 times)
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:52 »

Another person struck by a train just outside of Milton station yesterday afternoon
Was the 16:10 from WSM

Sadly there have been a number of child suicides at the same spot in the past 18 months, and believed to be a 15 year old girl from nearby Worle school

RIP
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:44:36 »

Our thoughts go out to those affected  Sad Sad

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 16:23:05 »

It's worth a reminder that cause of death is determined by a coroner. He or she will determine whether such incidents are suicide.

Whilst the police may say that this latest sad incident is 'not suspicious', it isn't a statement of cause.

Echoing rogerw. My thoughts are with all affected.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 19:07:53 »

From the Bristol Post:

15-year-old girl killed after being hit by train between Bristol and Weston-super-Mare

A 15-year-old girl was killed after being hit by a train at a level crossing between Weston-super-Mare and Bristol.

At around 4.30pm yesterday (Tuesday, March 6) British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) rushed to the Corondale Road level crossing near Weston Milton railway station after reports a person had been hit by a train. Weston Milton is the next stop from Weston-super-Mare towards Bristol.

A BTP spokesman said at the time: “We were called at 4.33pm following reports of a person being struck by a train at Weston Milton railway station.  Officers are still at the scene and that is all the information we have at this stage.”

Today (Wednesday, March 7) it was confirmed a teenage girl died in the incident.

A BTP spokesperson said: "A 15-year-old girl has sadly died after she was struck by a train at Corondale level crossing near Weston-Super-Mare last night.  Officers were called to the line shortly after 4.30pm yesterday evening.

"Her family have been informed of her death and are being supported by specially trained family liaison officers.  Her death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner."

The Corondale level crossing which is accessible on foot (Image: Google)

There was severe disruption on train services as a result of the incident, with several rush-hour trains heading through Weston-super-Mare to go from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington being cancelled.

Bristol passengers travelling to Weston-super-Mare and Weston Milton were advised to get off at Worle, where services terminated, and use local bus services.

Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) sent a coach to collect passengers from Weston-super-Mare at about 5.30pm and the disruption did not subside until an hour later.

Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:28 »

It's worth a reminder that cause of death is determined by a coroner. He or she will determine whether such incidents are suicide.

Whilst the police may say that this latest sad incident is 'not suspicious', it isn't a statement of cause.

If you read carefully, there was no comment on the cause of *this* death, just previous ones, where the Coroner has presumably already ruled.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 11:53:29 »

I feel it rather unfortunate in such a sad time, when the cause of death is yet to be determined, that the Bristol Post web page on this incident is headed by a very large Samaritans video and finishes, after the news article, with three paragraphs about people thinking about taking their own lives and how to contact The Samaritans.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/15-year-old-girl-killed-1307705?utm_source=bristol_post_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_BristolPost_Nletter_Text_Story3&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter&ptnr_mid=5663442&ptnr_rid=1273175&icid=EM_BristolPost_Nletter
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 14:16:22 »

I feel it rather unfortunate in such a sad time, when the cause of death is yet to be determined, that the Bristol Post web page on this incident is headed by a very large Samaritans video and finishes, after the news article, with three paragraphs about people thinking about taking their own lives and how to contact The Samaritans.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/15-year-old-girl-killed-1307705?utm_source=bristol_post_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_BristolPost_Nletter_Text_Story3&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter&ptnr_mid=5663442&ptnr_rid=1273175&icid=EM_BristolPost_Nletter

Without sounding rude, locally it is known what happened and would assume that the local press have caught onto this - certainly doesn't need a coroner a couple of months down the line to confirm what was sadly known

Personally I think that it is the perfect place to put the advert, if any of the girls poor friends and family are reading the article it shows that there is support out there for people, even when they are in the darkest place
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 16:10:36 »

Without sounding rude, locally it is known what happened and would assume that the local press have caught onto this - certainly doesn't need a coroner a couple of months down the line to confirm what was sadly known

Personally I think that it is the perfect place to put the advert, if any of the girls poor friends and family are reading the article it shows that there is support out there for people, even when they are in the darkest place

It may be the case that the family is aware of the "advert" and it might even be that they asked for / encouraged it. That is pure speculation though - purely a possibility.

We don't formally know what happened yet ... and I do recall cases where we have mis-guessed. However, on balance a pointer to the Samaritains is no bad thing in my (personal) view - especially if done with agreement.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:18:56 »

Thanks, grahame.

On the Coffee Shop forum, we have an existing topic which offers general information to all of our readers, including links to organisations who can offer support to anyone who feels they are in a dark place.

Our thoughts and sympathy must be with the family and friends of the deceased girl in this latest very sad incident.

Chris.  Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:18:10 »

If you read carefully, there was no comment on the cause of *this* death, just previous ones, where the Coroner has presumably already ruled.

The OP (Original Poster / topic starter) mentioned this incident and then previous incidents. That suggested a causal link. Please don't question my comprehension.

The OP also states there have been 'a number' of child suicides at this crossing in the past 18 months. I'm struggling to find evidence of even one in that time frame. More then 2 years ago there was another death of a young person at the same crossing. That had a narrative verdict from the coroner.

This is why we should be careful to use the 's' word in these topics, until after the inquests. Even if referring to previous incidents.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 14:10:35 »

Note this is third hand info, but I was supposed to be travelling from Bath Spa to London on Friday and the train was cancelled due to trespassers on the line. This is one of the few Bath to London services that arrives having passed through the Weston Super Mare / Weston area and the cancellation was around Weston Super Mare. From what was said to one of my work colleagues by passengers who had been on that train (and had to get alternative transport to Bristol for the next London train), they "trespassers" were school children / friends / families trying to pay respects to the poor girl who died  on the Tuesday. Sounds incredibly stupid for them to be around the track where their friend was killed just a few days earlier - fair enough to pay respects but I thought something like that could have been organised alongside GWR (Great Western Railway) and done in a safe manor surely?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 14:17:30 »

From the Bristol Post:

Family pay heartbreaking tribute to 15-year-old girl killed by train

'My heart is broken, you will always be my precious little girl'

Evie Wright, who died at Corondale crossing

The family of a 15-year-old girl who died after being hit by a train have released a heartbreaking tribute to her life.

Evie Wright was found at Corondale foot crossing in Weston-super-Mare on the afternoon of Tuesday, March 6.

The school girl’s devastated family have released a joint statement thanking the public for their kindness, but asking for privacy to grieve.

“Our beautiful 15-year-old daughter Evie Alicia Wright sadly lost her life after being struck by a train on Tuesday, 6 March,” the family said.

“This is a devastating time for our family and we ask that our privacy is respected and that people are sensitive as to what is being posted on social media.

“We appreciate all of the flowers, cards and gifts that you have all left for Evie.

“We would like you to know your kind notes have comforted us at this sad time.”

A number of flowers, candles and messages of condolence have been left at Corondale foot crossing since Tuesday.

One message on one bunch of roses said: “To my little girl, one red rose for every year you have given me happiness. My heart is broken, you will always be my precious little girl. I am so proud of you and I always will be. Sleep tight, sweetheart.”

Another read: "Evie, a bright, shining star! Forever in our hearts. Lots of love Great Uncle John and Sue."

Another simply said: "Rest in peace gorgeous."

Words written on a candle read: "You will be missed, always in my mind and heart."

Another note signed from "Mr Wood, Miss White and your maths class" was attached to some flowers. It said: "You will be deeply missed in your maths lessons. Thoughts and prayers with your friends and family. Rest in peace."
______

Most people who are thinking of taking their own life have shown warning signs beforehand.

These can include becoming depressed, showing sudden changes in behaviour, talking about wanting to die and feelings of hopelessness. These feelings do improve and can be treated.

If you are concerned about someone, or need help yourself, please contact the Samaritans on 116 123.

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 15:25:47 »

Note this is third hand info, but I was supposed to be travelling from Bath Spa to London on Friday and the train was cancelled due to trespassers on the line. This is one of the few Bath to London services that arrives having passed through the Weston Super Mare / Weston area and the cancellation was around Weston Super Mare. From what was said to one of my work colleagues by passengers who had been on that train (and had to get alternative transport to Bristol for the next London train), they "trespassers" were school children / friends / families trying to pay respects to the poor girl who died  on the Tuesday. Sounds incredibly stupid for them to be around the track where their friend was killed just a few days earlier - fair enough to pay respects but I thought something like that could have been organised alongside GWR (Great Western Railway) and done in a safe manor surely?

I can confirm that you are correct - I have lived very near the spot for a number of years and sadly see first hand the age and number of those affected.
One thing BTP (British Transport Police) are quick to do is move the flowers etc left from the exact spot and there are concerns about those hanging around and also highlighting what can happen in that area

All very sad
RIP
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: