Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:31:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Message from MTLS  (Read 7298 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2008, 21:26:17 »

This is a copy of the email MTLS (More Train Less Strain) have sent out to people:

Dear x
YOU WILL HAVE HEARD that FGW (First Great Western) has been issued with a Remedial Notice by the DFT (Department for Transport)  in a final attempt to force FGW to deliver a decent service. Both the Remedial Plan and the Breach Notice were issued for reneging on its franchise terms by exceeding the threshold on cancellations, and then misreporting the cancellation rate.

FGW THREATENED WITH REMOVAL OF FRANCHISE
You may not have heard the rumour from a trusted source that  the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) met FGW and said they had decided to take away their franchise.  First contested this saying that the DFT had not followed the right procedures, and that if the DfT did take away the franchise, First would seek a judicial review.

^29 MILLION - TOO LITTLE TOO LATE
Consequently FGW is to spend ^29m on staff training, better customer information, enhanced compensation (next year), more drivers and a limited amount of extra rolling stock. ^29m spread accross the whole of FGW and spent on all these areas will not produce any significant service improvement.

13 PENCE EXTRA PER PERSON PER WEEK
A blogger (Economy Klaus: http://firstlatewestern.blogspot.com/2008/02/andrew-haines-and-13-pence-solution.html) has calculated that this equates to spending by FGW of an extra 13 pence per passenger per week. Please let us know what you would like your 13 pence spent on. (Calculations based on ^29 million: divide by the 1.5 million passengers using FGW each week then divide the result again by the number of weeks between now and the end of 2010 (roughly 147)

KEEP THE PRESSURE UP
It seems unlikely that FGW willl still be running our train service in 6 months time. The DfT will now be monitoring the service more closely. It is vital to keep the pressure up on FGW and the DfT, so if your train service continues to be poor for the price you pay, please continue to complain to Ruth Kelly at the DfT and copy in your MP (Member of Parliament) and your local newspaper. If you don't tell them, they will never know and you will be saddled with FGW for another 7 years.

A MESSAGE FOR ANDREW HAINES
MTLS is seeing Andrew Haines on Wednesday 19th March. If you have message that you would like us to give him, please post it on our forum.

Regards
The More Train Less Strain Team.
MTLS Towers

{http://moretrainlessstrain.co.uk/smfforum}

What do people think of "FGW won't be running our service in 6 months?" Huh
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 21:37:07 by Btline » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 22:11:06 »

Well I thought MTLS (More Train Less Strain) was instrumental in getting people (and in particular Govt) to wake and notice what was going on. But I think they are wrong in continuing to campaign for FGW (First Great Western)'s removal, as the problem was as much the government's making, although FGW then screwed it up badly.

I did think that the franchise breach was a convenience and excuse for the government to step in. As I understand it the breach was misreporting figures, not the fact that the service had been awful for months. But of course they couldn't "force" FGW to take action just because they had agreed an inadequate franchise specification, so they had to wait until FGW slipped up on a technicality.

I now think MTLS should give FGW a decent period of time to get its additional (whoops, nearly called it "new") stock in place, and then pass judgment.   
willc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 23:18:50 »

I wouldn't expect MTLS (More Train Less Strain) to do anything except take an extreme position.

Trying to sort out FGW (First Great Western) has got to be like trying to turn round the proverbial oil tanker - Andrew Haines hasn't even been running FGW for six months yet - but there are signs out there of things being taken in hand. Dump First from the franchise now and you set back the whole process, while someone else is found to take on the job, who then has to take time to understand the problems before they can try to tackle them.

Yes, First are in the last chance saloon, but you have to give them that chance. Don't forget that in other parts of the country, they run rail services that are well thought of. These were under the overall control of Andrew Haines from July 2005, as First's UK (United Kingdom) rail division managing director, but until last autumn, FGW was specifically excluded from his remit. This may just be a coincidence, but then again it might not be. We shall see.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 00:19:10 »

If I may be permitted to add my 'two pennies worth': I am a passenger, I don't work for First Great Western, and I don't think FGW (First Great Western) losing the franchise is a realistic option. For those interested, these are among my reasons: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1916.msg14148#msg14148

Chris  Wink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 00:21:15 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:37:43 »

I don't think it's likely that they'll loose the franchise in the forseeable future either, Chris - however, it's hard to foresee too far ahead, stranger things have happened, and both Sea Containers and Connex have lost franchises in the past for different reasons.  One wonders if there was a strong policical case for the government to be seen to be doing something to calm the public disquiet about services, especially bearing  in mind that national politicians have to be re-elected from time to time and want their party to do well.

I note that More Train, Less Strain also write  """Whilst we welcome more rolling stock on the Portsmouth- Cardiff route, there are shortages 7 days a week on almost all lines, with trains on several lines such as Weymouth-Frome- Bristol and Chippenham -Melksham reduced to such low service levels as to make them practcially useless.""" (see http://www.moretrainlessstrain.co.uk/ - their home page) and that helps to put the Heart of Wessex and the TransWilts high up the agenda. I'm sure that FGW (First Great Western) want to implement a good solution to these issues. I know they (FGW) know what the solution is on the TransWilts at least, and that their solution for that also helps Frome, and the Salisbury - Warminster segment further too.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:39:44 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:10:50 »

I don't think it's likely that they'll loose the franchise in the forseeable future either, Chris - however, it's hard to foresee too far ahead, stranger things have happened, and both Sea Containers and Connex have lost franchises in the past for different reasons.  One wonders if there was a strong policical case for the government to be seen to be doing something to calm the public disquiet about services, especially bearing  in mind that national politicians have to be re-elected from time to time and want their party to do well.

I note that More Train, Less Strain also write  """Whilst we welcome more rolling stock on the Portsmouth- Cardiff route, there are shortages 7 days a week on almost all lines, with trains on several lines such as Weymouth-Frome- Bristol and Chippenham -Melksham reduced to such low service levels as to make them practcially useless.""" (see http://www.moretrainlessstrain.co.uk/ - their home page) and that helps to put the Heart of Wessex and the TransWilts high up the agenda. I'm sure that FGW (First Great Western) want to implement a good solution to these issues. I know they (FGW) know what the solution is on the TransWilts at least, and that their solution for that also helps Frome, and the Salisbury - Warminster segment further too.

Sorry Grahame, as much as I don't get annoyed  with your continuous plugging of your prolblem, that has just annoyed me. Currently as many people roughly each day who go by train FROM/TO Melksham probababally adds up quite well to the amount of people being turned away from this Cardiff-Porstmouth line on a SUNDAY!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:51:17 »

But I guess that's the point. There can hardly be many passengers if there isn't a service. I think Graham is campaigning for the passengers who used to be, but can't be any more.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:03:56 »

But I guess that's the point. There can hardly be many passengers if there isn't a service. I think Graham is campaigning for the passengers who used to be, but can't be any more.

Thank you, John.   That's exactly my point.   

In 2005, there were 120,000 journeys made. Yesterday, a total of about six people got off the train in Melksham. That's around 2000 per year - or it would be except yesterday was a good day - on Sunday 66% of trains were cancelled so the numbers were, I'm sure, lower.

Jim - would you care to join me in Melksham on a Saturday morning and talk to people in the street about their railway service, or perhaps join me at the "Party in the Park" in July where I'll be helping to man a stand?  Then you'll see the local call in this town alone - and we're just a fifth of the former use of the line.

The Cardiff - Portsmouth is high up the agenda too and is a big issue too.  And it's interrelated.   One of the pinch points in northbound from Salisbury ... and how better to provide extra capacity than to step back up to a more frequent service to Warminster and beyond.  But let me talk about my own area of experince, and you talk about your own area.  If you're annoyed about someone fighting their own corner and with full local and much wider support, and not to the detriment of other lines then - well - I'm not allowed to get personal here by my own rules  Grin

It's not just Melksham.

Trowbridge to Swindon - 95 minutes by direct bus.  40 minutes by direct train.
Chippenham to Salisbury - no direct public transport at all.
Swindon to Salisbury - over 2 hours by public transport for a 40 mile journey
The TransWilts links the five largest population centres in Wiltshire
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:09:24 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 13:42:56 »

If we believe MTLS (More Train Less Strain) that Fgw wil be out in 6 months..who is going to run it then?? it will be the same timetable operated with the same stock using the same staff so what is going to change?
with the units from ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) that will assist overcrowding but also the whole west fleet is being refurbished and to do this units need to be out of service.
Fgw are recruiting a lot more staff at present which will give some much needed cover but remember you cant train staff overnight and any starting now it will be 3 to 6 months before they are productive with a much longer time for Drivers.
Seems to me that MTLS now want to promote a shall i say hate campaign for the sake of it ,and not work with local stakeholders to actually try improve local rail services

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 15:38:17 »

This is a copy of the email MTLS (More Train Less Strain) have sent out to people:

Dear x
YOU WILL HAVE HEARD that FGW (First Great Western) has been issued with a Remedial Notice by the DFT (Department for Transport)  in a final attempt to force FGW to deliver a decent service. Both the Remedial Plan and the Breach Notice were issued for reneging on its franchise terms by exceeding the threshold on cancellations, and then misreporting the cancellation rate.

FGW THREATENED WITH REMOVAL OF FRANCHISE
You may not have heard the rumour from a trusted source that  the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) met FGW and said they had decided to take away their franchise.  First contested this saying that the DFT had not followed the right procedures, and that if the DfT did take away the franchise, First would seek a judicial review.

^29 MILLION - TOO LITTLE TOO LATE
Consequently FGW is to spend ^29m on staff training, better customer information, enhanced compensation (next year), more drivers and a limited amount of extra rolling stock. ^29m spread accross the whole of FGW and spent on all these areas will not produce any significant service improvement.

13 PENCE EXTRA PER PERSON PER WEEK
A blogger (Economy Klaus: http://firstlatewestern.blogspot.com/2008/02/andrew-haines-and-13-pence-solution.html) has calculated that this equates to spending by FGW of an extra 13 pence per passenger per week. Please let us know what you would like your 13 pence spent on. (Calculations based on ^29 million: divide by the 1.5 million passengers using FGW each week then divide the result again by the number of weeks between now and the end of 2010 (roughly 147)

KEEP THE PRESSURE UP
It seems unlikely that FGW willl still be running our train service in 6 months time. The DfT will now be monitoring the service more closely. It is vital to keep the pressure up on FGW and the DfT, so if your train service continues to be poor for the price you pay, please continue to complain to Ruth Kelly at the DfT and copy in your MP (Member of Parliament) and your local newspaper. If you don't tell them, they will never know and you will be saddled with FGW for another 7 years.

A MESSAGE FOR ANDREW HAINES
MTLS is seeing Andrew Haines on Wednesday 19th March. If you have message that you would like us to give him, please post it on our forum.

Regards
The More Train Less Strain Team.
MTLS Towers

{http://moretrainlessstrain.co.uk/smfforum}

SPIN SPIN and more SPIN

init funny how I have read nowt in the national or industry press about First being told that they would be having the GW (Great Western) franchise removed yet this muppet group have been privvy to this information!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 16:01:43 »

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't those muppets ever give up! Finally there's some serious signs of improvement, FAR less cancellations, less late running, less short formed trains, more units from May, more investment, more happy passengers (believe it or not Wink) and MTLS (More Train Less Strain) still have to talk total and utter bullsh1t, I think MTLS are clutching at straws because they've got nothing to whinge about at the moment, people aren't interested in them anymore, have you looked on their forum lately? hardly a single post since the failed fare strike, which sums it up really, Mr Ambrose seems to post here occasionally quoting a load of boll**ks but when asked to back it up he never does, because he can't. Lets face it, FGW (First Great Western) fu**ed up, we know, but it seems that they are making an effort to turn things around since Andrew Haines took over and i'm convinced now that he can do this, I probably wouldn't have been so confident early last year, at that time I was a synical as the next person, but watch this space.....
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 16:11:37 »

A couple of thoughts.

First Group bid fully knowing all T & C^s and the inherent risk that if they did not meet them they would lose all rail franchises. I have no sympathy with any company which would expose themselves (and shareholders) to that amount of risk without fully understanding what it was they were taking on. As events have proved they were wholly incompetent in that regard, therefore they didn^t do their homework and so should be sent straight up to bed without any supper. (and without any train franchises). It will be interesting to see what the response to Alstom pulling out of ICE programme will be as they are probably the premier European high speed train builders. I just wish all the bidders had withdrawn from the West franchise from the outset.

Did Moir believe ^his man^ on the inside would not let it get this far?

http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/articles/rail/509.shtml

Passengers will not be unduly inconvenienced with the Government being the final operator, all current contracts will have to be fulfilled, and all staff retained, it^ll just take a little while for the wonks in DafT to realise there is a lunatic running the asylum and then they^ll get on with sorting out decent specifications with at least some decent customer input.

The 13p/passenger statistic is interesting, and as has been pointed out the old Wessex area will still be worse off even after stock addition with no decent cross Wiltshire service and the nightmare summer Weymouth service yet to come. Seems to me that First still have some real work to do to actually meet staff and customer aspirations, and it ain^t under the current franchise.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 16:34:11 »

A couple of thoughts.

First Group bid fully knowing all T & C^s and the inherent risk that if they did not meet them they would lose all rail franchises. I have no sympathy with any company which would expose themselves (and shareholders) to that amount of risk without fully understanding what it was they were taking on. As events have proved they were wholly incompetent in that regard, therefore they didn^t do their homework and so should be sent straight up to bed without any supper. (and without any train franchises). It will be interesting to see what the response to Alstom pulling out of ICE programme will be as they are probably the premier European high speed train builders. I just wish all the bidders had withdrawn from the West franchise from the outset.

Did Moir believe ^his man^ on the inside would not let it get this far?

http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/articles/rail/509.shtml

Passengers will not be unduly inconvenienced with the Government being the final operator, all current contracts will have to be fulfilled, and all staff retained, it^ll just take a little while for the wonks in DafT to realise there is a lunatic running the asylum and then they^ll get on with sorting out decent specifications with at least some decent customer input.

The 13p/passenger statistic is interesting, and as has been pointed out the old Wessex area will still be worse off even after stock addition with no decent cross Wiltshire service and the nightmare summer Weymouth service yet to come. Seems to me that First still have some real work to do to actually meet staff and customer aspirations, and it ain^t under the current franchise.

Weymouth will be having 67's+coaches again this summer, I do agree with the jist of what you say above, but my point is that things are getting better, if FGW (First Great Western) loose the franchise then the passengers will see a decline, as all the investment will stop, it will be run on even more of a shoestring than now, it will still be the same trains, tracks, managers, staff and timetable, Transwilts would DEFINATELY not get any improvements, fares would still go up at the agreed rate etc etc...
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 16:45:45 »

Weymouth will be having 67's+coaches again this summer, I do agree with the jist of what you say above, but my point is that things are getting better, if FGW (First Great Western) loose the franchise then the passengers will see a decline, as all the investment will stop, it will be run on even more of a shoestring than now, it will still be the same trains, tracks, managers, staff and timetable, Transwilts would DEFINATELY not get any improvements, fares would still go up at the agreed rate etc etc...

I'm not so sure that Weymouth will be getting 67s and LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) this year - every time I've tried to confirm whether the safety case allows booked paths (ie, not 1Zxx) First have either said "err, erm, errrrrr, yes......" or "erm, not sure". Not very definite!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 16:47:47 »

I'm not so sure that Weymouth will be getting 67s and LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) this year - every time I've tried to confirm whether the safety case allows booked paths (ie, not 1Zxx) First have either said "err, erm, errrrrr, yes......" or "erm, not sure". Not very definite!
they will be run as "zulu's", trust me, have I let you all down yet with my info???  Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: