Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:57:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Millennial 26-30 railcard to launch nationwide  (Read 4697 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: March 12, 2018, 14:50:45 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Millennial 26-30 railcard to launch nationwide

A nationwide trial of the so-called millennial railcard begins on Tuesday but card numbers will be limited.

The one-year railcard for 26 to 30-year-olds will cost £30 and offer a third off most fares in England, Wales and Scotland.

Only 10,000 will be released - enough for one in 500 of the eligible population - and the cost of some peak time travel will not be reduced.

The nationwide launch follows a trial across the Greater Anglia network.

Another 10,000 railcards were sold during that trial.

The new discount card was announced in Chancellor Philip Hammond's Budget in November, but received a mixed response from its target audience.

Railcards were first introduced as a way for train companies to help fill seats during off-peak times. The card for 16 to 25-year-olds has existed in one form or another since 1974.

Anyone applying for the railcard will need to pay by card, have a proof of age, either through a driving licence or passport, and have a digital, passport-style photo.

Applications should be made on the 26-30 railcard website, and holders will need to download an app before they can use the card.

The discount for some during the morning commute is limited as a minimum fare of £12 applies to all journeys made before 10am, Monday to Friday.

The Rail Delivery Group said discounts were not given on season tickets, but a weekly or monthly season ticket could still be the cheapest option for those in this age bracket who commuted frequently by train.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 13:01:53 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43384908

Millennial railcard website crashes

Demand for the new millennial railcard has crashed the website on the first day of nationwide sales.

The one-year railcard for 26 to 30-year-olds will cost £30 and offer a third off most fares in England, Wales and Scotland.

It first went on sale nationwide at about 07:30 GMT but "exceptional demand" has caused the website to fail.

Only 10,000 railcards are being released during the trial, and it is only available to buy online.

"This morning, when the 26-30 railcard trial began, the National Railcard website was receiving 12 times the normal number of visitors. We were prepared for demand to be similar to that of previous trial launches," said a spokeswoman for the Rail Delivery Group, which represents the train companies and Network Rail.

I'm really not surprised at the high traffic and the Rail Delivery Group shouldn't have been surprised either. 

Dear Rail Delivery Group, you launch to a massive group, nationwide, with just 10,000 available.   You do it all online rather than through multiple routes.  You give it wide publicity. And you're not prepared for a high demand.  Someone hadn't given this any proper thought or done a proper risk assessment  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 13:33:25 »

You should see the complaints on twitter this morning....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 13:56:36 »

"This morning, when the 26-30 railcard trial began, the National Railcard website was receiving 12 times the normal number of visitors. We were prepared for demand to be similar to that of previous trial launches," said a spokeswoman for the Rail Delivery Group, which represents the train companies and Network Rail.

Taking a further look, I'm actually surprised it was only 12 times the normal number of visitors at a launch - if asked ahead of time, I would have suggested they would need to be able to handle at least 100 times the normal traffic for such a day.   Of course, the "12 times" may well refer to the number who actually got through ... goodness knows how many more failed to connect.

Now lets see how forgiving we can be ... if something goes "belly up" with GWR (Great Western Railway) our traffic increases, and if the whole thing went belly up - or if (for example) gwr.com got redirected to gwr.passenger.chat for some reason, we would have trouble coping. However, that's a considered risk - the chance of it happening if low, the damage done within what we do wouldn't be all that catastrophic, so it's a risk noted and taken.  I would hear of server load issues within 10 minutes via an alert system, and have a status / time to return page up within 15.

The big difference between the Railcard scenario and ours is that they had encouraged and planned for extra traffic, whereas we would be reacting to an unexpected / unscheduled event.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 13:07:03 »

An update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Millennial railcards sold out despite technical problems

A new millennial railcard has sold out despite strong demand crashing the website on the first day of sales.

The National Railcards website apologised for the problems and said "we will consider carefully" the high demand when more cards are issued.

The railcard for 26 to 30-year-olds cost £30 and offers a third off most fares in England, Wales and Scotland.

Only 10,000 cards were released on Tuesday under a trial, but big demand caused website problems for hours.

A spokeswoman for the Rail Delivery Group, which represents the train companies and Network Rail, said: "This morning, when the 26-30 railcard trial began, the National Railcard website was receiving 12 times the normal number of visitors. We were prepared for demand to be similar to that of previous trial launches.

"Due to the unprecedented demand we have been working with our suppliers throughout the morning to further increase the capacity on the website to create a better experience for our customers. We recommend that customers continue trying the National Railcard website, and keep an eye on @_Railcards Twitter and Facebook pages for updates."

Some passengers have been expressing their irritation at the problems.

The limited number of the one-year cards - enough for one in 500 of the eligible population - went on sale on Tuesday following a trial across the Greater Anglia network when another 10,000 railcards were sold.

One of those struggling to buy a card was Helen Coffey, deputy head of travel at The Independent. It is her 31st birthday on Wednesday, so this is the last day that she would be eligible to buy the card. "It is today or it is never," she told BBC Radio 5 Live. "I don't know if it was the hype that made me want to get one, but I have this one shot, and it seems impossible. They were a bit naive to think it would not be flying off the shelves."

Virgin Trains, always quick to spot a marketing angle, tried to lighten the mood by linking the website woes with one of the millennial generation's favourite foods - avocado. Between midnight and next Tuesday, any 26 to 30-year-old who didn't get a railcard can get a third off the price of Virgin West Coast train travel if they present an avocado instead. But as you would expect, the Avocard comes with terms and conditions.

David Sidebottom, passenger director at watchdog Transport Focus, said: "The nationwide trial of the 26-30 railcard should be welcome news for passengers facing stagnant or falling incomes but they will be extremely disappointed that they are unable to access the website."

The card does not cover all travel. The discount for some during the morning commute is limited as a minimum fare of £12 applies to all journeys made before 10am, Monday to Friday.

The Rail Delivery Group said discounts were not given on season tickets, but a weekly or monthly season ticket could still be the cheapest option for those in this age bracket who commuted frequently by train.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 17:23:08 »

I think we can safely assume that a goodly number of our forum members were not in the queue for THAT particular railcard. Grin
Concessionary bus tickets in Lancashire have the words Lancashire Elderly writ large in the middle of the ticket...do you suppose the programmer couldn't spell concessionary or couldn't fit it into the space available.....while those in Derbyshire have the capitalised letters DOAP which I presume means Derbyshire Old Age Pensioner !!. It could be worse !
I don't think our dear old ( oops, accidental ageism) CfN could pass for under 30 on a bright sunny day,even with dyed hair, sunglasses and a following wind !. The pootling along at 30mph in a Mercedes Sprinter would soon confirm him as a fully paid up member of the NWOBR ( Nailsea Waitrose Old Boy Racer Club !)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 17:39:54 by chuffed » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 21:01:42 »

Kept trying but failed. I hit 30 in 10 days time.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 15:16:05 »

From The Mail Online

The student railcard scam driving up the cost of YOUR tickets: Our 29-year-old reporter poses with a discount card for under-25s to prove how easy it is
* Fare-dodgers are using a simple trick advertised on the web to obtain discounts
* People aged 16 to 25 qualify for the £30-a-year discount railcards
* But a loophole means older travellers can also benefit from the perk

OK - it's agains the law / rules to claim false age to get a 16-25 railcard when you are over age an no longer involved in education either so we cannot condone this practise.  However, now that there's a 26-30 card, all be it in far lower numbers than the number of people who want one, I really wonder if the Mail Online is going a bit over the top. 

As and when the current 26-30 trail is complete and these railcards are available to all qualified people who want the, posing as younger is going to be close to pointless anyway, and any reduced income to the railways far less that would be needed to "drive ticket prices up". It could even be argued that having "scammed" a loyalty card that they're not entitled too, this huge number of naughty people in their late 20s will be using the train and paying 2/3 of the normal rate where otherwise they would not be travelling by train - that's the point of a loyalty system - so that are helping to fill the railway's coffers and keep fared down!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 16:41:10 »

Not over the top at all. The same fraud can be used to obtain a Senior Railcard when not eligible. I'm no fan of that particular newspaper, but they've highlighted potential fraud and reported in it. Good, honest, investigative journalism.

The over the top response came from the Rail Delivery Group. Initially threatening to prosecute the Daily Mail.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 17:34:42 »

They ought to require scans/mobile photos of passport/driving licence be attached to the online application & the file reviewed for name/DoB  at least.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 20:48:28 »

They ought to require scans/mobile photos of passport/driving licence be attached to the online application & the file reviewed for name/DoB  at least.

That requires additional human intervention. I suspect the online Railcard application process is almost fully automated. Cost savings.

I also suspect that the RDG(resolve) can't or won't access the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) driving licence database electronically to confirm applicant details. Two reasons. First, they need to ask the licence holder's permission to access their information. That requires the licence holder to make an online application to DVLA to generate a check code to pass to the RDG. The RDG then have to manually use that check code to gather the information. Second, the RDG need a genuine reason to gather the information. Confirming date of birth is, I suspect, not a good enough reason in isolation.

At the moment I suspect the Railcard online application process is automatically checking the date of birth that is contained (albeit jumbled up) within a persons driving licence number. With no secondary check with DVLA, that number is easy to spoof, producing a false date of birth that easily fools the checking algorithm.

Same goes for the information required from a passport. The date of birth information is contained within the alphanumeric information from your passport that you have to enter when applying for an age restricted Railcard online. Again, I suspect there's just a simple automated check algorithm with no secondary check with the Passport Office.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 21:17:20 »

I don't think our dear old (oops, accidental ageism) CfN could pass for under 30 on a bright sunny day, even with dyed hair, sunglasses and a following wind !. The pootling along at 30mph in a Mercedes Sprinter would soon confirm him as a fully paid up member of the NWOBR ( Nailsea Waitrose Old Boy Racer Club !)

Hmm.  Two points from me, if I may?

1. I am now (as of earlier this month) aged 59 - and I have never tried to pretend I was younger than I am;

2. If I could get my under-powered /speed restricted Mercedes Sprinter van to do anything much above 30mph, even on the open road, I would be absolutely delighted.

CfN.  Lips sealed

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 21:21:09 »

Not long before you can get your own railcard then

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 21:22:18 »

1. I am now (as of earlier this month) aged 59 - and I have never tried to pretend I was younger than I am;

Don’t need to. Still look younger than me!  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 00:16:04 »

The 26-30 Railcard trial will come to an end later this year.

Don't worry though. It's being made permanent!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: