I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:10:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FOSBR Rail Plan 2018 - hello from us and comments welcome  (Read 2133 times)
Christina Biggs FOSBR

View Profile Email
« on: March 12, 2018, 22:22:01 »

Hi folks,

Graham has finally persuaded me to register on Coffeeshop and do my own posting!

I'm currently secretary of Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways (ww.fosbr.org.uk). We came over to Melksham a while back to walk in the carnival with Graham and his dogs - a memorable occasion - and have kept in touch with Grahame ever since.

Our current preoccupation is to engage with the West of England Combined Authority (WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)) as they gear up to consult on their Joint Local Transport Plan which they will launch in June 2018 for the statutory six weeks. I have drafted a FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) Rail Plan 2018 which you can find on the front page of the FOSBR website. This is the plain-language version of our FOSBR Rail Manifesto 2017. I would welcome your comments. I'm pondering how exactly to get the public on board before the consultation starts; one idea is to re-run our rail survey we did in 2016. I think I probably need to cost up each item on the rail plan, even as an internal document, and ask the public to vote on which elements of our plan they most want to see.

We are also re-starting our FOSBR Quarterly meetings; the first one is on Friday 20 April, at Alma Church Hall BS8 2ES, 7.15pm. We hope to launch the Rail Plan then and invite lots of local VIPs; members of Coffeshop would also be very welcome to offer their advice. The main challenge is to persuade WECA that a rail plan is workable and that Network Rail are perhaps being overly pessimistic when they tell WECA that there is no more capacity on the railways and that WECA are best off investing in roads and MetroBus.

Please browse the FOSBR website (revamped by Carol Durrant last year) and in particular have a look at our newsletters - Tony Lloyd does an amazing job with them! We have a good team at FOSBR and are very happy to meet all rail friends whether online or in person.

Tina Biggs
FOSBR
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 22:30:35 »

Further to Christina's post above, the FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) Rail Plan 2018 may be found here: http://www.fosbr.org.uk/files//20180100_railplan.pdf
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 00:28:57 »

that Network Rail are perhaps being overly pessimistic when they tell WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) that there is no more capacity on the railways and that WECA are best off investing in roads and MetroBus.

Hi, Tina ... and welcome to the forum.

My quote ... Network Rail may indeed be suggesting that there is limited further capacity on the railways, but I've not seen any evidence that "Network Rail are ... telling WECA that .... [they] are best off investing in roads and MetroBus".  Perhaps you could provide links to back that up and help us see the suggestion in context?   As a generality, it would be an extraordinary thing for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to suggest, but as a local specific (Emerson Green to Pucklechurch perhaps?) it could make sense to extend the public transport system that's being built already to Emerson Green.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Christina Biggs FOSBR

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:33:26 »

Ah, yes, I should be properly rebuked for implying that the MetroBus is Network Rail's suggested way forwards.

What I do know and can say is that in WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)'s Joint Transport Study final report on September 2017, that there is specific reference to the limitations on capacity in the heavy rail network and the conclusion that WECA (and the West of England Joint Committee) should look elsewhere for the modes of transport and networks that would really get people off the roads. The source of the advice of limits to capacity to the rail network does seem to have come from Network Rail, as we know Chris Grayling is very keen on MetroWest.

We also know that Network Rail are very robust in resisting any rail improvements that they consider unnecessary (from our Pilning campaign) so I am pretty sure that word of caution to WECA would have come from Network Rail.

I think that is what makes sense to me of why the JTS does devote so much proposed money to MetroBus and Park and Ride (rather than Park and Rail), when MetroBus is already over-running in costs. I can see it is far easier to build a concrete trough than to attempt to engage with the many-headed hydra that is the rail industry.  Also I think WECA have been rather burnt by the Portishead Line cost over-run and perhaps they feel they are out of their depth.

So the question is, do our proposals in the FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) Rail Plan 2018 of "robust infrastructure to unlock capacity" address adequately that concern that the rail network cannot expand its capacity further? And how can we reassure bodies like WECA that it is worthwhile to invest in such projects? And is there a way to help facilitate the process of upgrading the rail network (such as Bristol East Junction and Westerleigh Junction)? And can other factors like cost of rolling stock be addressed by persuading DfT» (Department for Transport - about) or Transport Focus to break the ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) monopoly, for example?

Tina

Christina Biggs FOSBR

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:16:20 »

https://www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk/consult.ti/JTSTransportVision

Here's the JTS report page. See p43 for comments on rail network.

Tina

From JTS p43:

"It is important to recognise the constraints in the capacity of the rail network and the needs of both local and
longer-distance train services in the area. The Great Western Electrification Programme will improve journey
times to London, Thames Valley and South Wales, but it is also important to recognise the importance of
effective rail connectivity to the Midlands, the South West Peninsula and the South Coast. There are
significant capacity constraints on the rail network and difficult decisions will be required about how limited
track space is used for rail freight and local and longer-distance passenger trains. It is therefore
recommended that a wider operational review is undertaken of the timetabling of local services, to improve
network efficiency and to assess the effectiveness of services in meeting future connectivity needs."

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:37:08 »

We also know that Network Rail are very robust in resisting any rail improvements that they consider unnecessary (from our Pilning campaign) so ...

Let's look at that from Network Rail's viewpoint.  For rail improvements they will ask:
* Will it bring significant traffic?
* Will it be financially sustainable?
* Are there / will there be trains to stop there?
* Will it work operationally on the railway?
* Will it work with all the other services around?
* Will it work operationally on the road / paths / parking around?
* Will it be funded?
* Will our partners stick with us through the journey?
* Is it within our capabilities?
* Does it fit in with local, regional and central government policy?
* Will it be a significant risk - how sure are we of projections?
* Will it be a significant risk - is it technologically sound?
* Will it garner political and community support and show Network Rail in a good light?
* Is it going to bring so much more business that it will need further provision within a few years?

If they can be convinced there are no show-stoppers in the above, I believe that they can and will update their views to reflect changing cases and situations.  So it may be that something that was considered "unnecessary" at one time in the past (but I think you many have meant "unjustified") comes onto the radar again and gets done.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:42:17 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: