Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:12:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: March void days  (Read 8856 times)
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« on: March 13, 2018, 15:02:49 »

After the weather disruption at the beginning of March, void days have been declared for all service groups for 1 March, and all service groups except LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) on 2 March 2018.

Or to put it more bluntly, Friday 2 March was not a void day for the Cotswold Line.

How very GWR (Great Western Railway).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 15:31:35 »

What view of the geography of the UK (United Kingdom) puts Worcester in the Thames Valley?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 15:34:22 »

THe old Network South East area....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 16:16:13 »

What view of the geography of the UK (United Kingdom) puts Worcester in the Thames Valley?

THe old Network South East area....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 16:27:42 »

After the weather disruption at the beginning of March, void days have been declared for all service groups for 1 March, and all service groups except LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) on 2 March 2018.

Or to put it more bluntly, Friday 2 March was not a void day for the Cotswold Line.

How very GWR (Great Western Railway).

Just bear in mind that being part of the LTV group and Network South East also has its advantages.  Anytime return Swindon to London - £133.60.   Moreton in Marsh to London - £74.80    Worcester Shrub Hill to London via Evesham - £83.80 . That is probably the most extreme comparison ... I suspect you get the better overall deal with lower fares and fewer void days.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 16:52:29 »

I think the fare reflects the "planned" service (forget the recent events!). No 2 hour service from Worcester to London but plenty in around an hour from Swindon. I think that is what causes the differential in price. However the walk up price to London at the moment is Swindon £27.?? and Worcester £33.??. So the poor Worcester passenger gets a much inferior and irregular service and pays more!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 16:56:11 »

That is definitely a consideration too - so expect GWR (Great Western Railway) to be considering slowly raising your prices once the IET (Intercity Express Train) hourly (plus peak extras) comes in at the end of the year. Unfortunately.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 16:58:52 »

I think the fare reflects the "planned" service (forget the recent events!). No 2 hour service from Worcester to London but plenty in around an hour from Swindon. I think that is what causes the differential in price. However the walk up price to London at the moment is Swindon £27.?? and Worcester £33.??. So the poor Worcester passenger gets a much inferior and irregular service and pays more!

Nice theory, but it doesn't really stand up as the fares from Chippenham and Bath are just as outlandish (per mile) and they only have 2 trains per hour!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 17:54:17 »

I think the fare reflects the "planned" service (forget the recent events!). No 2 hour service from Worcester to London but plenty in around an hour from Swindon. I think that is what causes the differential in price.

Surely it should work the other way?   Swindon - London - Swindon peak is charges at £1.11 per minute of travel, but Worcester - London - Worcester is charged at just £0.33 per minute of travel.   Same train type, same hire charges, same number of staff and presumably similar pay rates all of which are time rather than distance based.

OK - writ a bit in Devil's Advocate mode. But it does start to indicate just how lucrative some services are over others.

charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 18:13:26 »

It's been an interesting diversion from the point I was trying to make - and an education into the workings of rail policy in the UK (United Kingdom). One thing I would add here is that until late 2016 the Cotswold Line fell under High Speed Services for performance purposes (at least that is what GWR (Great Western Railway)'s social media team told me when I was renewing my season ticket last year and checking up on void days).

However, GWR say "a void day is when there’s a serious disruption at peak time, and we haven’t offered you another way to get to where you are going." The service along the Cotswold Line on 2 March met that criteria - the last down train of the day departing Oxford at 10:20. I'm not sure many passengers wanting to get home to Charbury, Moreton-in-Marsh or Worcester would consider the fact that there were some trains running between Paddington and Reading of any relevance to their particular journeys.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 18:24:54 »

That's another very valid point....the Cotswold Line at the time of designation was run mostly on turbos/non HSTs (High Speed Train)....but from 2019 it should be all (but the stopper each way) IETs (Intercity Express Train). So reclassification ought to be sought to transfer it to the HST/IET group.
Birdie100

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 20:25:00 »

Interesting - the bean counters in GWR (Great Western Railway) towers have obviously decided it was better not to void 2nd March for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) for a strategic reason - be interesting to see the performance stats as a result.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 20:53:04 »

Just bear in mind that being part of the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) group and Network South East also has its advantages.  Anytime return Swindon to London - £133.60.   Moreton in Marsh to London - £74.80    Worcester Shrub Hill to London via Evesham - £83.80 . That is probably the most extreme comparison ... I suspect you get the better overall deal with lower fares and fewer void days.

Swings and roundabouts, I suspect!

First evening arrival at Worcester on an off-peak ticket: 21:47 (£68.50)

First evening arrival at Bath Spa on an off-peak ticket: 20:29 (£70.50)

(I might be slightly off on the fares and times there - they're from notes I took last year.)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 21:19:28 »

Interesting - the bean counters in GWR (Great Western Railway) towers have obviously decided it was better not to void 2nd March for LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) for a strategic reason - be interesting to see the performance stats as a result.

Had they released an emergency timetable on 2nd? If so, stats will refer to that timetabke, not the 'proper' one. And the perforance against that ight have been within tolerences
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 19:05:16 »

On March 2,

05:14 Oxford - Foregate Street cancelled at Evesham.
05:12 Padd'n - Moreton cancelled at Charlbury.
05:47 Paddington - Foregate St cancelled.
06:52 Padd'n - Malvern cancelled.
07:50 Padd'n - Malvern operated (but 42  late)
08:21 Padd'n - Hereford cancelled
09:21 Padd'n - Foregate St operated (but 14 late). This was the last train west of Oxford - everything afterwards was cancelled

And this doesn't count as a void day?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: