Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 01:24:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 March 2018 - Severe weather - advice not to travel  (Read 11139 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 19:29:50 »

I agree, we reach for the panic button far too readily these days.
Nanny State. Snowflake generation have to be told what to do upon seeing a snow flake or puff on wind.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 20:39:30 »

Nanny State. Snowflake generation have to be told what to do upon seeing a snow flake or puff on wind.

Lazy stereotype.

Every person I saw interviewed on the news after not heeding warnings and getting stuck in the snow was old enough to know better. Didn't see many young adults caught out.

What I did see reported on the news were students and young adults walking round city and town centres helping homeless folk with hot food, clothing and extra bedding.

Remember, the current generation's worldview is shaped by the way they were raised and educated by the previous generations. If there is any blame for them being 'snowflakes' it lies with the generations preceding.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 21:34:26 »

Hear Hear

All I saw during the ‘beast from the east’ was local snowflakes digging out cars, pushing immobilised vehicles to safer spots and handing out cups of tea to ...... aged grumpy ol’ buggers (yes I am one too) who decided not to heed experts advice.

Don’t fall for the media stereotypes - they are nearly always wrong in everything else, as they are with this characterisation.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 23:04:39 »

Hear Hear
All I saw during the ‘beast from the east’ was local snowflakes digging out cars, pushing immobilised vehicles to safer spots and handing out cups of tea to ...... aged grumpy ol’ buggers (yes I am one too) who decided not to heed experts advice.
Don’t fall for the media stereotypes - they are nearly always wrong in everything else, as they are with this characterisation.

Nice to see everyone on the same wavelength then. 

So is it nanny because they shouldn't need to tell people not to travel because they should know?

Around here the difficulty was the change in conditions due to the hills.  I mere 3 inches down here and 5 - 8 ft drifts in places up on the tops. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 08:00:32 »

Hear Hear

Nice to see everyone on the same wavelength then. 

So is it nanny because they shouldn't need to tell people not to travel because they should know?

Around here the difficulty was the change in conditions due to the hills.  I mere 3 inches down here and 5 - 8 ft drifts in places up on the tops. 

Perspective & proportion.

If the people of one of the most advanced nations on Earth are panicking & seriously beimg advised to avoid travel because the forecast suggests there might be some snow showers bringing a small chance of disruption with which we are unable to cope, then I'd say we have a problem.

If the weather situation is more grave, then clearly that's a different matter.I guess that's why there is a scale of warnings?

Also, never underestimate the danger of crying Wolf.

Puffing Billy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 08:21:33 »

When they say "yellow snow warning" ..... ?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:07 »

When they say "yellow snow warning" ..... ?

The warning I always followed was "never eat yellow snow" - particularly if I was walking the dog.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 09:10:15 »

The warning I always followed was "never eat yellow snow" - particularly if I was walking the dog.
Yep stay away from the golden snow  Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 19:21:58 »

The Met have now updated the yellow warning to include the possibility (currently about 30% chance) of a more organised spell of snow coming up from the South on Sunday. The warning has also been extended further West.

I think I’ll go to ChrisB for the weather forecast in future who called this the other day  Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 20:01:20 »

So long as I can get to Bristol Airport on Monday, and off the floor there, I shan't be in anyone's way.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 22:36:47 »

So long as I can get to Bristol Airport on Monday, and off the floor there, I shan't be in anyone's way.

Off somewhere nice from Lulsgate International?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 23:43:53 »

Hmm.  Lips sealed

Two Thursdays ago, I was driving my van near Bristol Airport, and found the A38 impassable, due to ice.  Buses and taxis were sliding all over the road outside the Airport Tavern - unable to get to, or leave, Bristol Airport.  The runway at Bristol Airport was also closed, due to ice.

Pulling out of a side lane onto the A38 at no more than walking pace, my van started to slide sideways on the camber.  Roll Eyes

The moral of the story is, don't count on being able to get to Bristol Airport in snow conditions - you probably won't.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 02:55:48 »

Latest update - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

'Mini Beast from the East' brings fresh snow warnings

Yellow snow warnings have been issued as a "mini Beast from the East" is expected to hit the UK (United Kingdom).

The Met Office said north-eastern Scotland and England could see snow on Friday with the rest of the country hit at the weekend with up to 20cm falling.

Sunday will see "significant snowfall" with a maximum temperature of 1C.

Meteorologists said although it is the same Siberian weather as the "Beast from the East", which caused widespread disruption, it won't last as long.

The first warning for snow and ice comes into force at 15:00 GMT on Friday.

Met Office meteorologist Martin Bowles said the yellow could be upgraded to amber on Sunday but a red warning, as issued during the last "Beast from the East", was "extremely unlikely".

He said: "We don't expect it to be Beast from the East Mark Two - you could call it a mini Beast from the East I suppose, as it is a less severe version of it. We don't expect anything like the same impact as a result of it, although there will be some snow about."

He said the bitterly cold blast will be "fairly short lived", with low temperatures still around on Monday before it warms "fairly rapidly" from Tuesday.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 14:06:19 »

Amber warning issued for areas around/including outer surburban London now
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 18:52:14 »

The Met have just recently now issued an Amber warning on Sunday for quite a large part of the West Country into South Wales. The Met report there is still a degree of uncertainty so this warning could be subject to correction between now and Sunday.

Keep a close eye on the forecast if you are travelling this weekend.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: