05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:40:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend service  (Read 5126 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 15, 2018, 19:52:59 »

Melksham to Swindon and back.

Saturday - train to Chippenham, bus to Swindon.

45 minute waited to / from the hourly bus at Chippenham.  Absurd.
Should take 50 minutes versus normal 29.  Acyually takes 86 to 93.   Is the cafe at Chippenham station on commission?

How it should connect - bus to bus at Chippenham, about 10 minutes ... journey time 70 minutes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 21:10:29 »

Goodness me.

Taking the 08:26 on Saturday as an example, it would be quicker for me to take the 55 bus from Chippenham Station (with a 10 minute connection). Despite going round the houses it would drop me closer to home and I’d be back around 10 minutes earlier after avoiding the walk home from Swindon Station!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:34:41 »

Goodness me.

Taking the 08:26 on Saturday as an example, it would be quicker for me to take the 55 bus from Chippenham Station (with a 10 minute connection). Despite going round the houses it would drop me closer to home and I’d be back around 10 minutes earlier after avoiding the walk home from Swindon Station!

It's what appears to be crass / thoughtless timetabling of connections during engineering works.   But then there may be reasons.   They cynical one is the suggestion made that the services provided meet the franchise requirement, and cost money to run.  It's commercially more attractive to suppress demand so that only one bus has to be run rather than two, and a great way to do that within the rules is to make people wait 45 minutes in the middle of what would normally be a 29 minute journey. I really hope that is NOT the reason, by the way.   Other suggestions as to why would be very welcome.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 08:34:03 »

Goodness me.

It's what appears to be crass / thoughtless timetabling of connections during engineering works.   But then there may be reasons.   They cynical one is the suggestion made that the services provided meet the franchise requirement, and cost money to run.  It's commercially more attractive to suppress demand so that only one bus has to be run rather than two, and a great way to do that within the rules is to make people wait 45 minutes in the middle of what would normally be a 29 minute journey. I really hope that is NOT the reason, by the way.   Other suggestions as to why would be very welcome.

I've not been able to find any guide or other form of standard for replacement servces such as buses during engineering possessions. There are some documents about possessions, including one from ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)/RDG(resolve) that looks at how to plan those to minimise disruption, but buses feature just as the necessary response when they happen.

All I can find in the current GWR (Great Western Railway) "franchise" is this:
6. Obligations of the Franchisee in the event of disruption to railway passenger services

6.1 In the event of any planned or unplanned disruption to railway passenger services operated on the Routes, or on other parts of the network which are reasonably local to the Routes, the Franchisee shall:
(a) without prejudice to any other provision of this Schedule 1.2, notify the Secretary of State promptly where such disruption would materially (having regard to both duration and scale) prejudice the Franchisee's ability to deliver the Timetable or deliver the Timetable in accordance with the Train Plan;
(b) co-operate with Network Rail and other Train Operators to act in the overall interests of passengers using such railway passenger services, including using all reasonable endeavours to ensure that such disruption is not concentrated on a particular part of the network, except where such concentration either:
  (i) would be in the overall interests of passengers using such Passenger Services or railway passenger services and would not result in disproportionate inconvenience to any group of passengers; or
  (ii) is reasonably necessary as a result of the cause or the location of the disruption; and
(c) use all reasonable endeavours to provide or secure the provision of alternative transport arrangements in accordance with paragraph 6.2. 6.2 The Franchisee shall use all reasonable endeavours to provide or secure the provision of alternative transport arrangements to enable passengers affected by any disruption referred to in paragraph

6.1 to complete their intended journeys in accordance with this paragraph 6.2. In particular, the Franchisee shall use all reasonable endeavours to:
(a) ensure that such alternative transport arrangements are of reasonable quality, of a reasonably similar frequency to the Passenger Services included in the Timetable which such arrangements replace and reasonably fit for the purpose of the journey to be undertaken;
(b) transport passengers to, or as near as reasonably practicable to, the end of their intended journey on such Passenger Services, having particular regard to the needs of any disabled persons and, where appropriate, making additional arrangements for such disabled persons to complete their intended journey;
(c) provide adequate and prominent publicity of such alternative transport arrangements in advance, subject, in the case of unplanned disruption, to the Franchisee having sufficient notice of such disruption to enable it to provide such publicity;
(d) provide sufficient alternative transport capacity for the reasonably foreseeable demand for the disrupted Passenger Services; and
(e) ensure, if any planned disruption overruns, that there is a reasonable contingency arrangement for such alternative transport arrangements to continue for the duration of such overrun.

Got you string meter handy?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:17:18 »

Got you string meter handy?

Yes - and thanks for that. 

Absolutely nothing in there about "at not exceeding the price that would normally be paid for such a journey at such a time.", so putting the price up to limit the need for provision for "reasonably foreseeable demand" is within the rules.   Yuk.

I note the requirement to have a contingency in place for overruns.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 03:02:39 »

I have been alerted that due to poor forecast weather on Saturday / Sunday, in association with the diversion of all London to Bristol and South Wales trains via Trowbridge, there will be "no service between Westbury and Chippenham tomorrow" as "NR» (Network Rail - home page) unable to provide staff for points at Thingley junction and Bradford junctions".   Message to me late last night, so means no Saturday trains. Slight paraphrasing in my quote.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:51:51 »

For the record: about 2 miles from Bradford Junction...temperature 2 degrees Celsius. Recent snow shower but melting on contact with the ground. Met Office forecast is p<10% for precipitation each hour up to 16:00; temperature above freezing until then.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 11:31:45 »

For the record: about 2 miles from Bradford Junction...temperature 2 degrees Celsius. Recent snow shower but melting on contact with the ground. Met Office forecast is p<10% for precipitation each hour up to 16:00; temperature above freezing until then.

All green and lovely in Melksham.

Following from 02:45 this a,.m.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 16:57:16 »

Brutal weather in Melksham:

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 16:59:55 »

Looks ripe for a cream tea.  Oh sorry wrong thread.   Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 17:09:15 »

but not today

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 17:58:08 »

CORNISH of course! As implied from "the Palace"  Grin Grin Grin

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 18:04:58 »

CORNISH of course! As implied from "the Palace"  Grin Grin Grin

Noticed on my weekly visit to my Sainsbury's they had packs of Cornish Scones on the bakery section. First time I've noticed such a product on sale there, must have been an influence of this excellent forum site.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 00:31:06 »

All green and lovely in Melksham.

Following from 02:45 this a,.m.

Hmm... it appears that the Melksham route wasn't closed all day, as 1Z05 and 1Z06 (Bristol-Paddington and Weston-Paddington) used the route between 0630 and 0800.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 00:48:56 »

Hmm... it appears that the Melksham route wasn't closed all day, as 1Z05 and 1Z06 (Bristol-Paddington and Weston-Paddington) used the route between 0630 and 0800.

Statement details elsewhere were "from 08:00" ... about 1 c.m.of snow arrived after during the evening.   Shutting the line 12 hours earlier than the arrival of any problem still seems a bit excessive and certainly gave rise to a lot of negative comment; sometimes there's a feeling that decision makers coming up with cuts don't fully realise the story of each and every person who's inconvenience and who's plans are changed by their decisions.  For sure they need to take steps that don't end up putting people in danger, but yesterday's call looks very much out of touch with the needs of the paying customer.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: