Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:26:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: From Swindon to Oxford and the north  (Read 15993 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 18, 2018, 13:41:29 »

There are potential significant passenger flows from Swindon (and west thereof) to Oxford (and north and east thereof) - either with a reversal at Didcot of using the west to north curve there, which currently is kept open to passenger services by the running of a parliamentary train.

Alex Lawrie of Go-op will be updating us on their plans as the WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) meeting this Thursday in Bradford-on-Avon, with the Swindon to Oxford element being part of a proposed longer route - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19456.0 for meeting details

Looking back to the summer of 1963, an old timetable I have shows Swindon to the East Midlands and North East via Oxford - offering journeys which would involve changes and different (longer) routes these days, but at a far higher frequency.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 16:56:49 »

Couple of years later and the only direct Oxford-Swindon service was in the middle of the night.
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 20:25:22 »

Couple of years later and the only direct Oxford-Swindon service was in the middle of the night.
There was a brief revival in the early 2000's (I think) of Swindon-Oxford services. Didn't seem to last very long - a couple of years? It was usually busy when I caught it from Didcot.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 21:25:50 »

There was a brief revival in the early 2000's (I think) of Swindon-Oxford services. Didn't seem to last very long - a couple of years? It was usually busy when I caught it from Didcot.

The Bristol to Oxford service was usually busy when I travelled on it too.  At the time, passengers were informed that the journey was possible with a change at Didcot and they should do that in future - with (it seemed) an assumption or implied assumption that nothing (much) was being taken away.

With a growth (UK (United Kingdom) average of around 80% in passenger numbers since the direct service was withdrawn, the HSTs (High Speed Train) that carry passengers from Bristol / Bath / Chippenham to Didcot for the connection have moved from having spare capacity to being not-so-comfortable and the case for (the) extra services renews. Mind, with the coming of the IET (Intercity Express Train) we're expecting extra trains from Bristol to London (far more important of course  Wink ) and we'll see what fits in around them / falls out in the wash.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 22:29:01 »

The problem I remember with these services was that at the first whiff of a problem somewhere else they often were cancelled. On one occasion my return from SWI» (Swindon - next trains) was cancelled and whilst I was waiting no fewer than 3 trains left there for London with no Didcot stop scheduled, and control wouldn't add one either, maybe because the imposed wait was 'only' 50 minutes.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 21:06:44 »

It got removed to relieve congestion - Turbos can only run at a max speed of 90mph over a 125mph capable route so it could cause issues when they were late running - not that surprising they were eventually canned altogether. Shame as it would be a useful service.

Melksham trains can only run at 75mph (or are timed for it) but they cover a smaller section of the route and there's many fewer per day.

If and when the inherent long term advantages of electrification over bi-modes (lower weight so less wear and tear, lower maintenance costs and they should be able to accelerate quicker without the diesel engine) are sufficiently recognised and NR» (Network Rail - home page) can show they can reduce electrification costs (which should now be possible given lines have been electrified for the first time since privatisation - other than Stoke-Crewe - and they should now have rather more electrification nous than a few years ago),  then maybe both routes to Bristol TM(resolve) and to Oxford will be energised and maybe a 110mph class 387 (or any newer equivalent) can run between them. Although I suspect the west to north curve won't be electrified to save a few quid, meaning it can't/won't happen.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:36:30 »

It got removed to relieve congestion - Turbos can only run at a max speed of 90mph over a 125mph capable route so it could cause issues when they were late running - not that surprising they were eventually canned altogether. Shame as it would be a useful service.

Melksham trains can only run at 75mph (or are timed for it) but they cover a smaller section of the route and there's many fewer per day.

If and when the inherent long term advantages of electrification over bi-modes (lower weight so less wear and tear, lower maintenance costs and they should be able to accelerate quicker without the diesel engine) are sufficiently recognised and NR» (Network Rail - home page) can show they can reduce electrification costs (which should now be possible given lines have been electrified for the first time since privatisation - other than Stoke-Crewe - and they should now have rather more electrification nous than a few years ago),  then maybe both routes to Bristol TM(resolve) and to Oxford will be energised and maybe a 110mph class 387 (or any newer equivalent) can run between them. Although I suspect the west to north curve won't be electrified to save a few quid, meaning it can't/won't happen.

Some VERY interesting feedback from yesterday that I'll be following up with on Swindon - Didcot capacity.

Two notes - TransWilts 75 m.p.h. timings will change to 90 m.p.h in the future; we now have 90 m.p.h. stock on most trains (and they are getting to stations early and sitting to wait time!

And from the Oxford Mail:

IMPROVED rail capacity between Oxford and Didcot should be made a priority as the Government seeks answers to ‘crucial questions’ over the future of the Great Western franchise.

England’s Economic Heartland (EEH) - a partnership of local authorities from Oxfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Milton Keynes, Northamptonshire, Hertfordshire and Swindon - has written to the Department for Transport demanding the rail link be improved.

A Government consultation has asked for views on how the Great Western rail network could be improved from April 2020.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 12:37:14 »

Capacity issues along the line from Swindon to Didcot will become an issue whether Go-Op had put in their proposal or not. It is in the area of some of the highest growth in the country and the need for extra services along here is bound to increase. Out of interest, I assume that when CrossRail comes on board, this will just add more demand into this route. I do wonder whether more shouldn't be made of the alternative routing between Bristol and London, via Salisbury, which is obviously longer but which does provide direct services into the south-east of London and therefore to Kent and the Thames estuary area.

I was very impressed with the presentation at last night's meeting, and Alex certainly has some very ambitious plans. It was particularly good to see ethical and environmental credentials being given such prominence. I had never heard of Open Access contracts before - he said they account for about 1.4% of journeys made, so which other TOCs (Train Operating Company) use them?

Incidentally, as I live in Bath, there is enormous potential for demand for journeys between Bath and Oxford. We probably have hundreds of tourists here every day wanting to make this journey, most of whom are taken by coach, which neither city copes with well.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 14:00:11 »

It was particularly good to see ethical and environmental credentials being given such prominence. I had never heard of Open Access contracts before - he said they account for about 1.4% of journeys made, so which other TOCs (Train Operating Company) use them?

Grand Central (owned by Arriva) and Hull Trains (First) are both open-access operators. Wrexham & Shropshire were but failed to operate profitably. First have secured rights for a new London-Edinburgh open access service.

I've long thought that Swindon-Didcot four-tracking (ideally, "now!") would have the great benefit of enabling a parkway station by the A419/A420 junction. Driving to Swindon station is slow and laborious at the best of times. A surprising number of people drive from the Lechlade area to catch the train at Charlbury, and if some people are prepared to drive that far, that suggests a lot of untapped demand.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: