Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:10:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote for Britain's most scenic bus route  (Read 5363 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2018, 18:02:55 »

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ScenicBus

ENGLAND

You can select up to 3 routes from the following list and/or add your own suggestions at the end

Routes are in numerical order
1 - Bolton to Darwen - Transdev Blazefield
1 - Weymouth to Portland - First Wessex
2L - Kidderminster to Ludlow - Diamond Buses
3 - Dartmouth to Plymouth - Stagecoach South West
5A - Leicester to Melton Mowbray - Arriva Midlands
6.1 - Derby to Bakewell via Matlock - Trent Barton
9 - Shoeburyness to Rayleigh via Southend Esplanade - Arriva Southern Counties
12/12A/12X/13X The Coaster - Brighton to Eastbourne via South Downs National Park - Brighton & Hove Buses (Go Ahead)
20 Somerset’s Coaster - Weston-super-Mare to Burnham-on-sea - First West of England
21 - Barnstaple to Croyde - Stagecoach South West
22 - Paignton to Dawlish Warren - Stagecoach South West
23 - Gloucester to Coleford via Lydney, Forest of Dean and Severn estuary - Stagecoach West
24 - Harrogate to Pateley Bridge along Nidderdale - Transdev Blazefield
32 - St Helens to Clinkham Wood - Arriva North West
36 - Leeds to Ripon via Harewood and Harrogate - Transdev Blazefield
40 Purbeck Breezer - Wareham to Swanage via Corfe Castle - morebus (Go Ahead)
44B - Worcester to Ledbury via Malvern - First Worcester
49 - Swindon to Trowbridge via Devizes, Avebury and Caen Locks - Stagecoach West
50 - Bournemouth to Swanage via Sandbanks, Shell Bay and Studland - morebus (Go Ahead)
58 - Buxton to Macclesfield via Cat & Fiddle - High Peak
59 - Harlow to Chelmsford via The Rodings - Arriva Southern Counties
70 – Plymouth to Cremyll – Plymouth Citybus (Go Ahead)
77/77A - Keswick circular via Braithwaite, Buttermere and Borrowdale - Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire
130 - Manchester to Macclesfield - Arriva North West
153 - Leicester to Market Bosworth - Arriva Midlands
173 - Bakewell to Castleton in the Peak District - Hulleys of Baslow
184 - Manchester to Huddersfield over the Pennines - First Manchester
271 - Sheffield to Castleton - First South Yorkshire & Hulleys of Baslow
291 - Crawley to Tunbridge Wells via East Grinstead and High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - Metrobus (Go Ahead)
308 - Huddersfield to Holmfirth - First Huddersfield
351 - Holmfirth to Glossop - South Pennine Community Transport
376 Mendip Xplorer - Bristol to Wells/Glastonbury/Street - First West of England
378/385 - Southport to Wigan via Ormskirk - Arriva North West
505 - Windermere to Coniston via Ambleside and Hawkshead - Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire
508 - Penrith to Windermere via Pooley Bridge and Patterdale - Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire
516 - Ambleside to Dungeon Ghyll - Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire
555/599 - Lancaster to Keswick via Windermere & Grasmere – Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancs
830 DalesBus - Middlesbrough to Ingleton via Swaledale and Buttertubs Pass - Arriva North East
840 Coastliner - Pickering to Whitby over the North York Moors - Transdev Blazefield
845 Coastliner - Malton to Bridlington - Transdev Blazefield
873 DalesBus - Ilkley to Malham via Skipton and Bolton Abbey - Transdev Blazefield
874/875 DalesBus - Wakefield to Buckden/Hawes along Upper Wharfedale - Arriva Yorkshire
888 - Newcastle to Keswick via Alston - Wright Bros
900/901 - Huddersfield to Hebden Bridge over the Pennines - TLC (three letter code )
A1 Atlantic Coasters - Penzance to Lands End - First Kernow
A5 Atlantic Coasters - Newquay to Padstow - First Kernow
B3 Bronte Bus - Hebden Bridge to Haworth - Transdev Blazefield
Cityzap - Leeds to Manchester over the Pennines - Transdev Blazefield
Coasthopper - along the North Norfolk Coast - Stagecoach East
Island Coaster on the Isle of Wight - Ryde to Shanklin via Alum Bay - Southern Vectis (Go Ahead)
M3 Moorsbus - Guisborough to Pickering over the North York Moors - Arriva North East
M4 Mainline - Colne to Crosshills - Transdev Blazefield
Needles Breezer on the Isle of Wight - Yarmouth to the Needles via Freshwater Bay - Southern Vectis (Go Ahead)
Transpeak - Derby to Manchester through the Peak District - High Peak
X18 - Newcastle upon Tyne to Berwick upon Tweed along the Northumbrian Coast - Arriva North East
X43 Witchway - Manchester to Grassington via Burnley and Skipton - Transdev Blazefield
X53 Jurassic Coaster - Weymouth to Axminster - First Wessex
X93 - Middlesbrough to Scarborough via Whitby along the North Yorkshire Coast - Arriva North East

SCOTLAND

You can select up to 3 routes from the following list and/or add your own suggestions at the end

1B - Glasgow to Helensburgh - First Greater Glasgow
31 - Aviemore to Cairngorm - Stagecoach North Scotland
36 - Elgin to Dufftown - Stagecoach North Scotland
52 - Skye: Portree to Armadale - Stagecoach North Scotland
57A/C - Skye North End Circular: to Portree and back via Flodigarry and Uig - Stagecoach North Scotland
59 - Stirling to Callander - First South East and Central Scotland
60/360 - Ayr to Stranraer via Maidens and Turnberry - Stagecoach West Scotland
95 - St Andrews to Leven along the East Neuk of Fife - Stagecoach East Scotland
201 - Braemar to Aberdeen - Stagecoach North Scotland
322/323/324 - Isle of Arran interlinked services - Stagecoach West Scotland
500 - Dumfries to Stranraer via Castle Douglas and Newton Stewart - Stagecoach West Scotland
901 - Glasgow to Largs – McGill’s
914/915/916 - Glasgow to Fort William to Skye via Loch Lomond, Rannoch, Glencoe and Great Glen - Scottish Citylink
919 - Fort William to Inverness via Great Glen and Loch Ness - Scottish Citylink
926 - Glasgow to Campbeltown via Rest and be Thankful and Inveraray - Scottish Citylink
976 - Glasgow to Oban via Rest and be Thankful and Inveraray - Scottish Citylink
C11 - Stirling to Aberfoyle - First South East and Central Scotland
X1 - Orkney: Stromness to St Margaret’s Hope - Stagecoach North Scotland
X7 Coastrider - Aberdeen to Perth – Stagecoach North Scotland
X85 - Glasgow to Campsie Glen - First Greater Glasgow
X95 - Edinburgh to Carlisle - Border Buses
X99 - Inverness to Thurso – Stagecoach North Scotland

WALES

2/2A/2B/2C/3/3A - Swansea to Mumbles along Swansea Bay – First Cymru
5 - Wrexham to Llangollen along the Vale of Llangollen - Arriva Buses Wales
5/5C/X5 - Caernarfon to Llandudno along the North Wales Coast - Arriva Buses Wales
26 - Llandudno to Great Orme on the North Wales Coast - Arriva Buses Wales
39 - Brecon to Hereford via the Golden Valley - Stagecoach Wales
53 - Bangor to Llanddona on the Isle of Anglesey - Arriva Buses Wales
58/X58 Cymru Clipper – Swansea to Coelbren via Neath – First Cymru
69 - Monmouth to Chepstow - Phil Anslow Travel
172 - Aberdare to Porthcawl - Stagecoach Wales
303 - Bridgend to Barry - New Adventure Travel
400 Puffin Shuttle - St David's to Marloes via Newgale - Richards Bros
558 - Montgomery to Shrewsbury - Tanat Valley Coaches
T1 – Aberystwyth to Carmarthen via Lampeter - First Cymru
T3 - Wrexham to Barmouth via Bala & Dolgellau - Lloyds Coaches
T4 - Merthyr to Newtown over Storey Arms - Stagecoach Wales
T4 - Llandrindod to Newtown via Dolfor - Stagecoach Wales
T5 - Aberystwyth to Hereford - Stagecoach Wales
X3 - Abergavenny to Hereford - Stagecoach Wales
X4 - Cardiff to Merthyr Tydfil - Stagecoach Wales

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 19:00:39 »

That's a great list.....some of these I've been on, but there are some that are very surprising which I would not even have considered, were it not for this list. It's very difficult to pick a top 3 in each country tho. I will keep this for future reference and plan breaks taking in some of these scenic routes.

For what's it worth I have to commend Brighton to Hastings with a break in Eastbourne, Dartmouth to Plymouth with a break in Kingsbridge, and the X1 Peterborough to Lowestoft with a break in Kings Lynn and Norwich which is not on this list.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 19:39:12 »

The 513, not on the list, follows the identical route to the 919 but also includes Roy Bridge in its itinerary would be my choice. Looked at the site this morning but the site crashed when I entered the 513 and tried to vote, perhaps because the 513 isn't operated by any one of the big operators but by Shiels or Spiels or some name like that. Have to have another go sometime.

When I travelled on the two routes,  one way was, Fort William - Inverness, by Scottish Hignlands which I assume is now Scottish Citylink but the return on the other operator a couple days later visited the picturesque settlement of Roy Bridge en route.

Perhaps a public vote on Britains most popular rail company should be conducted instead of confining it to rail industry partners, might get a true representation of peoples views then !!!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 20:00:13 by martyjon » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 20:16:38 »

Of the ones I've done on those lists, the standouts for me are the 50 Bournemouth - Swanage via Sandbanks Ferry and the T3 Wrexham - Barmouth.

I'd give the Coastliner 700 between Brighton and Portsmouth an honourable mention too. Not as good as it used to be when you could travel throughout without changing buses. These days the route is split in three.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 20:23:04 »

The 1 (Weymouth to Portland) and the 49 (Swindon to Trowbridge) stand out. Amazing they've not offered the 23/423 from Oban to Ardrishaig!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 20:54:37 »

For England I would add 23A IMBERBUS which is scheduled for 18 August this year Grin
bigdaz
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 20:58:05 »

Unusual but I think RV1 in London is very scenic in that it takes in plenty of London's archetecture.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 21:03:58 »

Unusual but I think RV1 in London is very scenic in that it takes in plenty of London's archetecture.

Indeed ... and I had wondered about the RB1 and the 11 as well.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 22:46:33 »

I've been on 4 of those. 12X, 40, 50, X53

My vote would be for the X53. I love the views between Bridport and Weymouth.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 23:33:52 »

T5 Aberystwyth - Haverfordwest via Newquay - especially the coastal section along the A487. 

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 00:26:28 »

I can vouch for the Plymouth to Dartmouth route, especially the Kingsbridge to Dartmouth section.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 02:02:14 »

T5 Aberystwyth - Haverfordwest via Newquay

Now, that is quite some journey by bus.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 04:17:46 »

If anyone wonders - like me - who's behind the survey (as there is zero indication on the page Bobm linked us to) ...

The prize draw: The top prize is £200 and there are two other prizes of £50. Three voters will be drawn at random and contacted by email in June 2018. A cheque will then be sent to the winner's home address in July 2018.

This survey is sponsored by Bus Users UK (United Kingdom), a non-profit organisation that champions the rights of bus and coach users and campaigns to improve bus and coach services for everyone. To find out more, visit www.bususers.org

The survey is managed by PK Marketing, an independent business that aims to increase customer satisfaction and encourage more bus use by carrying out quality marketing and research. Visit www.PKmarketing1.com for more details.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 08:52:51 »

And, in answer to the follow-up question "who is behind bususersUK.org?"...
Who runs Bus Users UK (United Kingdom)?

Bus Users UK is an independent, not-for-profit Company Limited by Guarantee. It is run by a board of directors elected by members at the Annual General Meeting. We are not a Government agency or a statutory body, nor are we run by the bus companies.

We do receive funding from Welsh and Scottish governments for our operations in those countries. This is subject to Key Performance Indicators required by those Governments, which are in line with our overall policy, aims and objectives.

On a day-to-day basis our Chief Executive Claire Walters oversees all our operations from our Shepperton head office. We have separate offices in Edinburgh for Bus Users Scotland, overseen by our Senior Officer for Scotland Gavin Booth and in Cardiff for Bus Users Cymru, overseen by our Senior Officer for Wales, Margaret Everson.

In addition to funding from the Welsh and Scottish governments for these offices, we also receive some funding from the Department for Transport for our role as the recognised body to oversee complaint handling under the EU» (European Union - about) Bus Passenger Rights Directive. This funding is supplemented by many of the bus companies, which fund us at a rate agreed through their trade association, the Confederation of Passenger Transport.

Policy is determined by the Board of Directors, which is answerable to our members, and although bus company funding is a valuable source of income to us it has no bearing on our policies or actions.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 09:05:55 »

And, in answer to the follow-up question "who is behind bususersUK.org?"...
Who runs Bus Users UK (United Kingdom)?

Bus Users UK is an independent, not-for-profit Company Limited by Guarantee. It is run by a board of directors elected by members at the Annual General Meeting. We are not a Government agency or a statutory body, nor are we run by the bus companies.

We do receive funding from Welsh and Scottish governments for our operations in those countries. This is subject to Key Performance Indicators required by those Governments, which are in line with our overall policy, aims and objectives.

On a day-to-day basis our Chief Executive Claire Walters oversees all our operations from our Shepperton head office. We have separate offices in Edinburgh for Bus Users Scotland, overseen by our Senior Officer for Scotland Gavin Booth and in Cardiff for Bus Users Cymru, overseen by our Senior Officer for Wales, Margaret Everson.

In addition to funding from the Welsh and Scottish governments for these offices, we also receive some funding from the Department for Transport for our role as the recognised body to oversee complaint handling under the EU» (European Union - about) Bus Passenger Rights Directive. This funding is supplemented by many of the bus companies, which fund us at a rate agreed through their trade association, the Confederation of Passenger Transport.

Policy is determined by the Board of Directors, which is answerable to our members, and although bus company funding is a valuable source of income to us it has no bearing on our policies or actions.

There are elements there that are not current / correct ... "they" were recruiting last month for their board of directors - see my post at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18347.msg232019#msg232019 - and I took a very serious look.   Had a number of very long and serious discussions, but although I fitted the written profile in the package, there were significant reasons why I would have been just about the last person they wanted ... or that I would have been able to fulfil the role and be happy and fulfilled in doing so in the improbable event of getting it.   

I do wish the new board of directors well in taking the organisation forward - perhaps something that should be considered early is enhancing their visbility such that questions like "who ARE Bus Users" need be asked less.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: