18th Apr (1966)
Melksham Station closed (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 02:21:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Didcot-in-the-Shire  (Read 4945 times)
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2018, 15:23:52 »

I trust that nobody from this forum would be such a naughty little Hobbit as to do this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-43459598

Grin
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 17:18:14 »

I thought it was Didcot-in-the-mire. Or was I thinking of another word ?. Either way it has to be a candidate for the most boring town in England. One redeeming (perhaps the only one) feature is of course, the Didcot Railway Centre.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 17:26:11 by chuffed » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 17:35:12 »

Perhaps not the only redeeming feature: there's the view of the Remaining Iconic Cooling Towers (best seen from either a passing train or the top of the Downs), and the Wittenham Clumps.

As for the sign, I'm sure it's a story that first surfaced some time ago. Possibly it's meant to indicate the Daily Mail distribution centre and its relationship with reality.  Shocked

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 19:32:16 »

They did try and get the name changed to Didcot-on-Thames (to put the house prices up?), but it was rather a long way from the Thames. I always thought there was an opportunity, with the Daily Mail printing works and the power station being so close, for an alternative fuel for the power station.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 19:55:46 »

It was Abingdon which added the on Thames bit. Don't know anyone who uses it apart from the Town Council.

The authority campaign in Didcot was to remove Parkway from the station name. Told it would be too expensive. Somehow it wasn't too expensive to rename Bicester Town to Bicester Village, but I digress.

Didcot of course was assessed to be the most normal place in England. Whether this is a good or a bad thing I'm not really sure Smiley
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 21:52:45 »

I wonder what strange science they use to measure normality?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 22:08:04 »

It was Abingdon which added the on Thames bit. Don't know anyone who uses it apart from the Town Council.

I thought it was Staines sorry I mean Staines upon Thames but I see that Abingdon - sorry Abingdon-on-Thames also did it in 2012
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 22:46:55 »

Quite a bit of effort has gone into this to replicate the font.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 23:14:35 »

I wonder what strange science they use to measure normality?
Typical would be more accurate I suppose. Some research firm crunched the numbers and Didcot closely resembled the statistical “median” for a number of factors, such as age distribution, ethnicity, employment type and political engagement. Although IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) seemed when dug into that they had only analysed a few streets in the centre (more or less the Northbourne district).

Most of the names were added on Friday according to people claiming to have spotted a man doing it. He was wearing hi vis, so went unchallenged Smiley
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:29:28 »

I thought it was Staines sorry I mean Staines upon Thames but I see that Abingdon - sorry Abingdon-on-Thames also did it in 2012

Anyone know when Kingston, the one near Twickenham, got its '-on-Thames'.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:59:36 »

Quite a bit of effort has gone into this to replicate the font.
https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/k-type/transport-new/
Also available as a free download somewhere or other.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:21:18 »

Anyone know when Kingston, the one near Twickenham, got its '-on-Thames'.

Kingston is one of the older ones, though of course it is (as befits a Royal Borough) upon Thames.

Staines is certainly a newcomer to the upon Thames set, consciously not choosing to be -on-Thames like Henley, Walton, or Whitchurch. Sunbury seems to be a part timer, and some places have lost their (up)onThamesness.

Looking at an OS (Ordnance Survey) 1 inch map sheet 170 (London S. W.) with a general revision date of 1963, I can see:
Richmond Upon Thames
Kingston Upon Thames
Walton-on-Thames
Sunbury
Staines

Note the scarcity of hyphens, and that some of these are boroughs while the townships' names are unappended. However, this map has a roads revision date of 1965, the year of London's local government reorganisation. I think think that Richmond first became upon Thames as a London Borough, Kingston was one already (as a borough in Surrey), and the rest are outside Greater London.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 11:50:05 »

The authority campaign in Didcot was to remove Parkway from the station name. Told it would be too expensive. Somehow it wasn't too expensive to rename Bicester Town to Bicester Village, but I digress.

Rumour has it that this change was sponsored by a certain outlet sales outfit....but of course, proof will never surface.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 16:21:41 »

Supposedly free font, Transport medium, from https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5602. The basic drawings used to be on the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) web site.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 21:48:27 »

Oh heck, let's go the whole hog - Kemble on Thames..
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: