Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:32:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Delay-repay. Also repays if you miss your bus because the train was late?  (Read 4283 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 26, 2018, 17:59:06 »

Written Parliamentary question, 23rd March on They work for you

David Crausby Labour, Bolton North East

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if his Department will work with (a) Northern and (b) other rail operators to simplify delay repay schemes for passengers using multimodal transport tickets.

Jo Johnson Minister of State (Department for Education) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Minister of State (Department for Transport), Minister of State (London)

The Government introduced the Delay Repay scheme whereby rail passengers are entitled to compensation if a delay to their train journey means that they are late in reaching their destination by 30 minutes or more. This applies to all ticket types.

The practical arrangements for implementing this policy, including in relation to multi-modal products, are a matter for the train operating companies.

Delay Repay should be paid on the rail element of multi-modal tickets.

That reads to me that if a train is delayed such that a bus connection misses, so passengers have to drop back to a bus that's 2 hours later even if the train's only delayed by 10 minutes, they are entitled to repayment - though not of the bus section if it's a rail + bus all on the one ticket.

Written answer from a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) minister - so no doubt written by civil servants who will have been accurate in their wording!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 21:26:47 »

To me it reads more that with through tickets that involve buses or ferries, that you currently only get refund on the train element of the journey, and they want the whole journey to be eligible.

However as buses and ferries aren't part of delay replay, what would happen if this was implemented and you were delayed on the bus/ferry part first and subsequently missed the train?  Would the TOC (Train Operating Company) be the fall guy for the compensation?

I'm also wondering whether we'll get to the point where due to all the repay expansion, train travel will effectively become free.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 22:01:52 »

Are there many rail-bus through tickets available? I’m assuming this is a low scale issue

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 22:38:48 »

I recently wrote to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to ask when Delay Repay will be implemented on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network as I had read a press release stating it will be on all networks.... but got this response back... This reads to me that if the DfT determine that the cost of implementation of Delay Repay is not acceptable then it won’t be implemented and the previous promises will be lost, much like the electrification of the South Wales line... so my fellow passengers, does anyone have a timeline of all the announcements on Delay Repay? I’d be interested to see how long it’s been promised for.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 17:54:28 »

With Delay Repay 15 now in operation, it would be useful to hear how quickly the claims are being processed, both postal and online, and how many times people have sought a refund and whether it was the 25%, 50% or 100% category?

I helped a friend with an application and found registering to the site and submitting a claim pretty straightforward - the only time I had to help was inputting the ticket number, as the modern tickets issued on APTIS (All Purpose Ticket Issuing System) style stock don't make it very clear which of the various information printed on the ticket is the actual ticket number like they used to.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 18:13:05 »

I submitted a claim on line on Sunday following Friday's problems at Didcot.  The acknowledgement promised a response within 20 working days - not good in my view.  I await to see what it is in reality.  I too had difficulty with the ticket number and guessed it to be the first 5 digits of the long number as I was told it was 5 digits when I entered something else.  However I can't see why you need to input the ticket number as you have to submit the ticket in any case.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 21:43:25 »

I submitted a claim on line on Sunday following Friday's problems at Didcot.  The acknowledgement promised a response within 20 working days - not good in my view.  I await to see what it is in reality.  I too had difficulty with the ticket number and guessed it to be the first 5 digits of the long number as I was told it was 5 digits when I entered something else.  However I can't see why you need to input the ticket number as you have to submit the ticket in any case.

20 working days is to all intents and purposes a calendar month, and you're right, it's not good enough, but GWR (Great Western Railway) "customer services" has been appallingly slow on all correspondence for a couple of years now......if you haven't heard by day 20, escalate to Hopwood, that generally gets a response.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 22:06:59 »

However I can't see why you need to input the ticket number as you have to submit the ticket in any case.

Purely a guess, but perhaps it makes any attempts at multiple claims off of one ticket easier to spot?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 22:38:25 »

I submitted a claim on line on Sunday following Friday's problems at Didcot.  The acknowledgement promised a response within 20 working days - not good in my view.  I await to see what it is in reality. 

I presume it's the same centre that processes SWR» (South Western Railway - about) claims. I submitted a claim for a journey on 2nd April where I was delayed by about 35 - 40 minutes, promised a response within 20 working days. Today I receive an email rejecting my claim as they think it was less than 15 minutes. Appeal submitted.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 18:47:50 »

I have also received a rejection from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) concerning my claim for 7 April. Despite my stating that I travelled on the 1215 from Waterloo, and this is clearly marked on the ticket (as is my name) their system has changed it to an 1115 departure which they state, rightly, does not exist.  Needless to say I have submitted an appeal.  This pulls up the original details which were correct.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 19:14:25 »

I have just received acknowledgement of my SWR» (South Western Railway - about) claim.  Despite my submitting the correct details they have once again changed the departure time. How much faith can you have in a system which seems to change the submitted details in order to avoid a claim.  If they reject the appeal for the same reason as before is there any way of escalating this or do I have to resort to the Ombudsman with the delays that entails.  Does anyone have a suitable contact at SWR?

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 22:38:40 »

I have also received a rejection from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) concerning my claim for 7 April. Despite my stating that I travelled on the 1215 from Waterloo, and this is clearly marked on the ticket (as is my name) their system has changed it to an 1115 departure which they state, rightly, does not exist.  Needless to say I have submitted an appeal.  This pulls up the original details which were correct.

My rejection also showed an hour earlier time. They must still be using GMT
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 09:37:28 »

I think that this needs to be taken up at high level with SWR» (South Western Railway - about).  Has anyone got any contact details e.g email addresses?

Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 10:43:41 »

The SWR» (South Western Railway - about) and GWR (Great Western Railway) systems use the same back end as was launched at the end of last month (with the shambolic migration from the old system for SWR users).

I submitted a GWR claim yesterday all went well except the time on the email confirmation was 1 hour earlier. Again, as mentioned this seems like a GMT/BST issue internally.

I have not seen the confirmation email for the SWR varieties - is the time quoted incorrect (if indeed one is quoted)?

GWR/SWR should go back and systematically sort out all these claims which are being rejected due to their mistakes.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 10:52:54 »

I think that this needs to be taken up at high level with SWR» (South Western Railway - about).  Has anyone got any contact details e.g email addresses?

I think you are right - it does look like one of those "features" of new software, maybe added during an update a few months ago but only having an effect after the clock change. I know it sounds silly that BST would come into it, since trains only ever operate to London time, but I can see why a lot of Network Rail's trackside machinery would operate on permanent GMT. Even if the system (i.e. "the railway") can be split into two areas with different timebases, there will be a huge number of interfaces that need to make the switchable correction.

In the case of your journey on 7th April, I was wondering if the software might also have an issue with GPS week number roll-over. Did SWR by any chance also alter your date of travel to 22 August 1999?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: