Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 05:18:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Okehampton
[119] The One-Way Wizzo
[59] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[53] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[44] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...
[30] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington 24/7, channel 5, 21:00 tonight  (Read 24546 times)
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 15:28:16 »

Also thought that it was interesting that the competition that they are running during the commercials was a ticket from London to Looe

What about anyone that doesn't live in the London area?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 15:49:46 »

I found the bit about the Thai princess quite laughable, When shes paying a lot of £££ for an entire coach, id expect the train to turn up on time, or at least GWR (Great Western Railway) to swap to a train that is already in Paddington to ensure things go smoothly. They also mucked up that time with Prince Harry & Meghan, so not good.

Maybe - but why should her money offer her additional privelages to those of us that pay thousands a year?

Let's be honest, every business rolls out the red carpet under these circumstances, it's just that the GWR carpet is more worn out, stained and frayed than most!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 16:45:22 »

Also thought that it was interesting that the competition that they are running during the commercials was a ticket from London to Looe

What about anyone that doesn't live in the London area?

The series title is Londoncentric in presentation, though lots of footage from elsewhere ... I would take an educated guess that the prize will allow you to travel on any GWR (Great Western Railway) service (starting at any station they serve) to Looe.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 23:21:09 »

I think the prize includes First Class Anytime Return tickets.

If so, or indeed if they are First Class Off Peak Returns, then the prize winners can start and end their journey at any intermediate station between Paddington and Looe.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 23:30:12 »

I think the prize includes First Class Anytime Return tickets.

If so, or indeed if they are First Class Off Peak Returns, then the prize winners can start and end their journey at any intermediate station between Paddington and Looe.
That should include Bristol, might include Melksham (special stop during a B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) blockade) and would not include Swansea.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 01:00:20 »

Yes, Melksham is on a permitted routed from Paddington to Looe. No need for a special stop. Start at Melksham and change at either Chippenham or Westbury for onward travel via either Bristol or Taunton.

Obviously Swansea is way off a permitted route but then there is £500 spending money included in the prize. That'll get you to say Reading to pick up a GWR (Great Western Railway) train to Liskeard for Looe.  Wink

The prize could actually include GWR First Class Anytime Return scratchcard tickets. If they haven't been pre filled in with Paddington as the origin station they could be used from any station on the GWR network. Customers validates these tickets themselves, writing in the origin and destination and scratching off the date of travel. These tickets then have the same terms as an Anytime Return (start/end short, break journey) except that they are only valid on GWR services.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 06:48:23 »

It's not going to be any skin off GWR (Great Western Railway)'s nose for the winners to travel from any GWR station - rumoured to be plenty of seats all around their first class network most of the time, even when standard is full, and it's unlikely that the winners will want to travel at peak times which I suspect would mean a very late arrival into Looe / a very early departure indeed from there.

These competitions are money making exercises, I think. Prizes may look wonderful, but when you look at how much people each pay in via the premium rate line's extra charge, and then multiply it by the number of entries, it starts to look like a form of lottery or gambling with poor odds.

That should include Bristol, might include Melksham (special stop during a B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) blockade) and would not include Swansea.

Requests for special stops on even one or two days during the 50 days of service decimation this year have been turned down - big pity as it would have been an excellent marketing opportunity for day trips to Paignton or London.   But seeing as it's proving impossible to even deliver seven calls a day against the normal 18, I have to admit that it's probably a wise decision; a platform with 100 people on it, work underway (by then) to extend it to be long enough for the usual train, and the risk of a service that fails to operate near to time ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 10:38:56 »

These competitions are money making exercises, I think. Prizes may look wonderful, but when you look at how much people each pay in via the premium rate line's extra charge, and then multiply it by the number of entries, it starts to look like a form of lottery or gambling with poor odds.

It's text message entry, not a premium rate phone call. I'd argue that £2 plus one standard rate message (10-15p) isn't excessive. Yes, these competitions easily generate more revenue than the prize cost, but the odds of winning are an order of magnitude less than a major lottery win.

Oh, and you can enter for as little as 56p if you chose to do so by post.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 16:16:23 »

Oh, and you can enter for as little as 56p if you chose to do so by post.

Royal Mail First & Second Class went up 2p a month ago BTW (by the way) Smiley

Doesn't really matter if you've got a book of NVI (Non-Value Indicator) stamps I suppose.

I've got various small denominations of stamps for when I occasionally send letters abroad or if I want to make the front of an envelope colourful.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 16:18:43 »

I've got various small denominations of stamps for when I occasionally send letters abroad
(usually combined with larger value ones to get the exact price)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 13:24:32 »

I found the bit about the Thai princess quite laughable, When shes paying a lot of £££ for an entire coach, id expect the train to turn up on time, or at least GWR (Great Western Railway) to swap to a train that is already in Paddington to ensure things go smoothly. They also mucked up that time with Prince Harry & Meghan, so not good.

Maybe - but why should her money offer her additional privelages to those of us that pay thousands a year?

If they really had booked an entire first class coach, then at least they should be provided with that. So the train with the full first class coach locked out of use would be unsuitable.

And they were almost certainly paying a LOT more per mile than season ticket holders who pay heavily discounted fares for peak time travel.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 13:50:58 »

I noticed they were in coach K which is a composite coach of half standard half first.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 16:03:02 »

In reference to the London/Paddington centric nature I was wondering if "other place" 24/7 may be an option for future series.

One of the reasons being if you see the A4 notices referring to filming at Reading station it says for Reading 24/7. My assumption was this is a working title for the shooting done there which then becomes part of the Paddington 24/7 programme.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 17:38:36 »

Do you think when they were planning the series they had a conversation along the lines of "..I wonder if there will be enough incidents to fill a couple of programmes?"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 17:45:32 »

Well they decided on 20 programs so were obviously confident of enough things taking place though I have to say they really ham things up at times for the smallest of incidents. I just remind myself that this is a general entertainment program aimed at appealing to the casual veiewr so don’t take it too seriously.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: