Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:26:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Trains For The Cheltenham Festival  (Read 15052 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2008, 23:07:55 »

FGW (First Great Western) link.
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?id=587

Quote from: FGW (First Great Western)
^Customers planning to use train services need to be aware that strict queueing arrangements will be in place at London Paddington station for the outward journey and at Cheltenham Spa for return journeys. This means passengers board trains on a first come, first served basis, which we^ve found to be the fairest way to allocate seats.

^Seats can be reserved on trains to Cheltenham Spa, but not for return services after 1700. Passengers with seat reservations at London Paddington station will be offered priority boarding.^

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
BPWuser

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 22:27:25 »

The subject should say 'Extra Trains For The Cheltenham Festival but passengers between Paddington and Cardiff should check their train times carefully!'

From Tuesday 11 until Friday 14 March inclusive the following alterations will apply in in order to provide extra train services to Cheltenham Spa, due to the capacity crowd expected for the Cheltenham Festival.

Westbound services

0815 Paddington to Cardiff Central will not run.

0915 Paddington to Cardiff Central will not run.

1515 Paddington to Cardiff Central terminate Swindon.

1615 Paddington to Swansea terminate Newport.

Eastbound services

1055 Cardiff Central to Paddington start Swindon.

1155 Cardiff Central to Paddington start Swindon.

1755 Cardiff Central to Paddington will not run.

1929 Swansea to Paddington will not run.

Couldn't FGW (First Great Western) run the 'rugby specials' stock back and forth between Swindon and Cheltenham and keep the normal services going?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 23:05:57 »

Shame they have got rid of the 180s- they could be useful- if only to provide a shuttle from Swindon to Cardiff!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 00:33:15 »

I Work For FGW (First Great Western) Blog links, including info on extra London Midland services from Worcester-Cheltenham.
http://www.iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

http://www.iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 00:37:30 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
willc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 00:49:35 »

Couldn't FGW (First Great Western) run the 'rugby specials' stock back and forth between Swindon and Cheltenham and keep the normal services going?

Hmm, let me see, rail firm with lousy reputation makes thousands of race-goers change trains half-way to their destination during one of the biggest sporting events in the country. How would that play in the pages of certain national newspapers?

Look, we are talking about an opportunity to fill pretty much every seat on the HSTs (High Speed Train) involved. I doubt you could say the same about most of the Cardiff trains.

This is an opportunity for four days every year for FGW to show what they and the rail industry can do, make some money and keep cars off clogged roads around Cheltenham. Plus spare paths out of Paddington (eg private charters to Cheltenham during this week often run to and from London Victoria) and spare trains don't grow on trees.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:54:59 »

The reason charters run to London Victoria is more due to availability of long platforms for tours, the platforming at Victoria is written to allow train platforming changes for a charter to be in the platform on the far east of Victoria Eastern. Paddington is a bit more difficult to get a platform for 45 minutes.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:13:29 »

wow, good on London Midland to provide the extra trains to Chelt Spa for the festival. Would be nice if they did this on a regular basis though, like a 1 tp 2 h Worcester-Gloucester to provide a hourly overall service.. Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 14:58:22 »

Yes, LM (London Midland - recent franchise) should switch some of their Nottingham/Birmingham to Hereford trains to go to Gloucester (including Ashchurch). The service to Hereford could be switched to a 150 shuttle (and would become more reliable).

I think that this route (the Worcester to Ashchurch stretch and beyond) is underused by TOCs (Train Operating Company).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 20:50:10 »

Hmm, let me see, rail firm with lousy reputation makes thousands of race-goers change trains half-way to their destination during one of the biggest sporting events in the country. How would that play in the pages of certain national newspapers?

Look, we are talking about an opportunity to fill pretty much every seat on the HSTs (High Speed Train) involved. I doubt you could say the same about most of the Cardiff trains.

This is an opportunity for four days every year for FGW to show what they and the rail industry can do, make some money and keep cars off clogged roads around Cheltenham. Plus spare paths out of Paddington (eg private charters to Cheltenham during this week often run to and from London Victoria) and spare trains don't grow on trees.

Of interest, just posted on the Rail Regulator website is a new track access agreement dated 27/2 that permits FGW to run Class 67 + Mk 2 or 3s for special events, with the two events listed being the Cheltenham Festival and the forthcoming Rugby matches in Cardiff. For the Cardiff services the route from Westbury is cleared, which is curious because they've already run those each time there's a match on at the Millennium.

So you may well see the "Rugby set" at Cheltenham next week. I guess it also explains why Network Rail refused FGW permission to run the sets on Taunton-Cardiff locals last December, as there was no track access agreement agreed by the regulator.   
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 23:44:34 »

I "think" the 09:40 Paddington to Cheltenham will be the Class 67 + Mk 2 or 3s
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 00:27:21 »

Ollie, the TAC (Track Access Contract) modification allows FGW (First Great Western) to run specials with the class 67 under their sub-sector on "the system" - the reason why the Weymouth 67s had issues. All rugby specials as yet are operated in EWSs (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) sector.

I understand that the Chippenham shuttle 67s had special dispensation from Network Rail in order for ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) to work properly without manual intervention.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 00:36:16 »

Ollie, the TAC (Track Access Contract) modification allows FGW (First Great Western) to run specials with the class 67 under their sub-sector on "the system" - the reason why the Weymouth 67s had issues. All rugby specials as yet are operated in EWSs (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) sector.

I understand that the Chippenham shuttle 67s had special dispensation from Network Rail in order for ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) to work properly without manual intervention.

OK, I was just saying that I believe the set normally on the rugby special will be used on the 09:40..
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 01:05:23 »

Just clarifying the situation for everyone.

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.212 is the relevant ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) page.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 04:49:18 »

the TAC (Track Access Contract) modification

"TAC" is a new acronym on me .. and I don't think you meant TOC (Train Operating Company).  "Telecomms Appreciation course" was what Google came up with ...

Help ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't understand  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:26:18 »

Track Access Contract I believe between NR» (Network Rail - home page) and FGW (First Great Western).   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: