Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:53:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two other split ticket examples in you have network card  (Read 3342 times)
bigdaz
« on: April 15, 2018, 17:38:58 »

Post deleted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 18:56:03 by bigdaz » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 18:33:01 »

Far too many unexplained acronyms there.

Even I had to look up a couple. Casual readers who don't know about station or ticket type codes would have no idea. Formatting is totally confusing too.

Identifying savings: 8/10
Explaining them: 1/10

Tongue Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 19:35:18 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 18:41:54 »

Far too many unexplained acronyms there.

Even I had to look up a couple. Casual readers who don't know about station or ticket type codes would have no idea. Formatting is totally confusing too.

Identifying savings: 8/10
Explaining them: 1/10

Tongue

Agreed ... but isn't this forum wonderful that one person can bring things to our attention (done) although not find it straightforward to format and explain.   Then another can go through using his overlapping knowledge and work out the detail for himself (done) and then go on and help the original poster ny explaining for the rest of us (not yet done - please help by explaining to us, bignosemac!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 18:57:07 »

I'd rather the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) edited his post. I might get it wrong.  Wink

Ahh. Nothing to edit now.  Huh

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bigdaz
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 18:59:09 »

Justin its gone. What a pity there's no two finger smiley!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 19:19:28 »

Post deleted

Very sad, because (yes) that was rather technically worded - but it was also 8/10 useful in identifying savings. 

The moderator and admin team here encourage anyone and everyone to post, provided only that "you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material"   Your post was none of those.   Interestingly, it could be argued that the response you got was harassing (and indeed it persuaded you to delete your post) and I'm sure the member who responded will take note of that.

And actually it was rather useful.    I think I got the gist of it and will re-post as a service to our members. And THANK YOU for the original post.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 19:34:52 »

My post could be argued as harassing? Really? But if you say so I'm more than happy to argue why it wasn't. Perhaps the single tongue in cheek smiley was not enough to express the tone I was taking I'm my reply. I've added a couple more.

You quoted forum rules grahame. Allow me to as well:

b. Please try to cut down on the number of acronyms you use - we DO have an acronym page on which I try to list them all as they come up, but at times I get my GOSW» (Government Offices South West - about) mixed up with my GOBLs (Gospel Oak to Barking Line) - so what must it do to the newcomers?   If you introduce an acronym to make your post less verbose, please define it the first time in full

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 19:45:00 »

Justin its gone. What a pity there's no two finger smiley!

Here you go, closest I could find:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/rude/1/double-finger.gif

Just stick that link in [img ] [/img ] tags and jobs a good 'un.

Tongue Tongue Tongue

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 19:58:00 »

My post could be argued as harassing? Really? But if you say so I'm more than happy to argue why it wasn't. Perhaps the single tongue in cheek smiley was not enough to express the tone I was taking I'm my reply. I've added a couple more.

You quoted forum rules grahame. Allow me to as well:

b. Please try to cut down on the number of acronyms you use - we DO have an acronym page on which I try to list them all as they come up, but at times I get my GOSW» (Government Offices South West - about) mixed up with my GOBLs (Gospel Oak to Barking Line) - so what must it do to the newcomers?   If you introduce an acronym to make your post less verbose, please define it the first time in full

There is a difference between request - and we request members to cut down the number of acronyms they use and require - where we require members to not be ... harassing amongst other things.  That's a "three line whip" versus a "one line whip" if you like.

It's all too easy to post and overlook things - requests, requirements, courtesy, how much load you put on the admin team who give their time for free, etc ... and the general approach of the forum is to gently point these things out - especially to newer members and occasional posters who can so easily overlook.  Now that we've aired these issues on this thread (including noting how much moderator / admin time it's burning up), perhaps we should get back to the gist of this ticket splitting thread?

Split ticketing can make a substantial saving in fares, and is within the rules provided that each part of the split is valid and you catch a train that calls at the change-over station.   The point being made was that if you hold a networker card (which as I understand it - AIUI (as I understand it)) gives you a discount in the London and South East Area, you can sometimes make a saving by using the card to buy a ticket up to the last Network South East station, and then an onward ticket, even if the sum of the normal (undercounted) tickets is more that a normal return.

Example was Blackwater to Swindon ... improved by a Blackwater to Didcot ticket on a Network South East card, and a Didcot to Swindon ticket undercounted.

Similar example Blackwater to Birmingham?

Also worth noting the more general principle that if you're starting a long journey in a peak, but carrying on well after the peak, it's worth looking into splitting with a peak ticket for the first part of the journey and an off peak for the second part, even if the sum of two (split) peak fares exceeds the price of a peak fare all the way.

teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 23:28:06 »

Anyhow, a bit of an anomomly, or question.
A couple of times I have bought a split ticket on the train( because there is no ticket machine at Dean).
Tickets were Dean to Basingstoke ( anytime) and Basingstoke to Waterloo , ( off peak) on a weekday.

Both times I was given a full discount on the Dean to Basingstoke Section, reducing the fare for that portion below the £13 minimum.
Just got lucky, or is there a £13 purchase rather than £13 fare minimum ?Seems a bit unlikely.

And BTW (by the way), the strikes down here are really bloody annoying. And though I am usually on the side of employees, I can’t figure what it is they are fighting for.
Please feel free to enlighten me.
Cheers.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:00 »

Both times I was given a full discount on the Dean to Basingstoke Section, reducing the fare for that portion below the £13 minimum. Just got lucky, or is there a £13 purchase rather than £13 fare minimum ? Seems a bit unlikely.

The truth is sometimes more surprising than fiction. From https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/minimum-fare/

The minimum discounted adult fare payable is £13 on all journeys Monday to Friday. This adult minimum fare does not apply at weekends or on Public Holidays.

You are making a journey from Dean to Waterloo, and as I read that, you have to pay at least £13 in total for that journey, irrespective of any splits along the way that bring the price down.  Bizarre, but good for you!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: