I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:18:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[111] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[83] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[44] Return of the BRUTE?
[26] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR mobile tickets  (Read 13456 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 12:19:09 »

...  and specifically bar break of journey ...

That is no longer the case for most tickets. The National Rail Conditions of Travel allow break of journey on all except certain special ticket types, and GWR (Great Western Railway) cannot break the national conditions of travel just to suit themselves.   That has now been clarified and accepted by GWR (( contrary to earlier comment in this thread;  condition can be applied to NEW fares and ticket types not the old standard ones )) - though I'm not sure how far the clarification has been implemented into systems.

A word of caution - the RDG(resolve) "easier fares" consultation could come up with recommendations that change the National Rail Conditions of Travel, and if that happens a number of useful and very fair things you can do could be swept away in the interest of "simplification", co-incidentally making some journeys more expensive or less convenient in the process.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:29:36 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 13:49:47 »

I saw somebody using one of these get on at Keynsham the other day. So GWR (Great Western Railway) but not gated. She just showed her phone screen to the guard when he came round. Of course her destination could have been a gated station – does it work if only one end is gated?

If it wasn't the "she" there I'd have asked if it was me you saw!
But yes, at the moment they are only offered if the start or end of the journey is gated, and specifically bar break of journey (presumably so you can't just get off at a station that isn't gated).
Out of curiosity did the guard scan the QR (QR Code - Quick Response code) code on her screen or just look at it? I've had a bit of a mix regarding this. I suspect they are meant to scan the code, but its a bit faffy with them having to get the camera app up on their device etc.
I think he just looked at it.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 21:38:42 »

...  and specifically bar break of journey ...

That is no longer the case for most tickets. The National Rail Conditions of Travel allow break of journey on all except certain special ticket types, and GWR (Great Western Railway) cannot break the national conditions of travel just to suit themselves.   That has now been clarified and accepted by GWR (( contrary to earlier comment in this thread;  condition can be applied to NEW fares and ticket types not the old standard ones )) - though I'm not sure how far the clarification has been implemented into systems.

A word of caution - the RDG(resolve) "easier fares" consultation could come up with recommendations that change the National Rail Conditions of Travel, and if that happens a number of useful and very fair things you can do could be swept away in the interest of "simplification", co-incidentally making some journeys more expensive or less convenient in the process.

In which case GWR may want to update their app because it is still saying that break of journey is not allowed for mobile tickets (that is of today, as I used a mobile ticket this morning and specifically checked for the wording). Is there anywhere where GWR have publicly confirmed this wording is incorrect?
Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 14:22:30 »

Just thought I'd chip into this thread and write my experience of using an e-ticket for the first time about a month ago.

I was travelling from Heathrow Airport and was not able to plan my journey in advance. Because I was travelling from there to Pewsey on a Sunday trains were sporadic. Made worse by the line closure at the time meant that I had to get bustitution from Swindon. Whilst trains to Swindon were frequent, the replacement buses to Pewsey were as sporadic as the trains would have been, as they were just that, a replacement.

I realised being at terminal 5 I had a chance that if I used the Hex direct to Paddington, I would have 5 minutes to change at Paddington for a Swindon train that would connect me just in time to a replacement bus. Failing to connect to this bus would have added at least two and a half hours to the journey time.*

I was concerned about the tight connection time at Paddington and the time involved in purchasing (or even buying online and collecting) a paper ticket before boarding the connecting train. After boarding the Hex much to my complete astonishment I noticed I had a very good 4G signal in the tunnels. I can only assume they have some sort of leaky feeder arrangement going on in there for mobile services. I much prefer that over some dodgy wifi where I have to sign in / give all my data away etc.

I purchased the tickets on the web from GWR (Great Western Railway). I already had an account, but it said I needed the app in order to use the purchased e-tickets. A bit annoying - surely this can be done with web only technology?
So I downloaded the app (I was just starting to emerge from the tunnels by this stage) and was pleasantly surprised I could at least log in with my GWR account and the tickets were there ready and waiting. This was fairly good from a user experience standpoint.

The Hex arrived at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) a few minutes late making the connection even tighter. A dash straight to platform 1 (no ticket barriers) and straight onto the train just in time for it to depart.

I had bulky luggage, the train was full and standing. I was very, very tired and didn't fancy fighting my way through the train to find somewhere to stand (I boarded near the micro-buffet). Despite the fullness of the train, there was however plenty of seats still in first class. So I sat there with a view to upgrading should seats not be wanted by other ticket holders. I felt this was not likely, since the train was already pulling out by now.

After about 10 minutes the train manager came through asking to see tickets. I showed my e-ticket and asked if I could get a first upgrade on such a ticket. He said absolutely and proceeded to try scan my e-ticket. This took absolutely ages due to the wobbling of the train and the camera on his device struggling to focus. I felt a little embarrassed and sorry for the TM(resolve) having to put up with this. After that he then sold me the first upgrade which took no time at all. All in all I probably wasted several minutes of the TMs time due to the e-ticket.

Great though this technology is, it would have been much better and quicker for both me and the TM to simply purchase the entire ticket on-board the train - the good old fashioned way. The only reason I bought an e-ticket was so I could make the connection and not risk a penalty fare / prosecution.

When I arrived at Swindon, the ticket gates appeared to be equipped with optical scanners, but they were not working. Staff at the gate-line just waved me though.

10 days later when I made the return journey (same return e-ticket, again via Swindon), gate-line staff saw I was about to use the e-ticket scanner and just waved me though without inspecting my phone at all. I was not checked on the train, and arrival at Paddington was at a non gated platform so the ticket went unchecked.

At this moment in time I intend to stick to paper tickets where possible as they are less faff when on board. Despite all this technology, I struggle to see how much progress has really been made, except saving on ticketing stock.
---------
* I know there are other routes available such as the bus to Reading. From terminal 5 you can also get a fairly good connection with a local bus to Staines and then train to Reading. However on this day due to the fact some of the journey was already a replacement bus I was fairly determined to keep my exposure to buses to a minimum. Although at least on a bus you normally get a seat.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 15:04:43 »

I purchased the tickets on the web from GWR (Great Western Railway). I already had an account, but it said I needed the app in order to use the purchased e-tickets. A bit annoying - surely this can be done with web only technology?

There are two things at least that the app does that GWR can't or won't trust standard web stuff to do:
1. Store the e-ticket securely (i.e. tamper-proofly) so you can show it even without a network connection.
2. Display it in whatever form the reader needs (if it's not necessary, it at least avoids arguments about who's at fault).
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 15:10:32 »

The mobile apps are not as convenient as they could be as they aren't integrated with the likes of Apple / Google Pay. If they were there would be no need to juggle cards to read the CVC from the back etc, or for that matter enter the long number in the first place. It could all be authorised through the mobile payment system as the cards held within there are already verified and payment could be authorised through fingerprint or PIN. In this regard they are really behind the times.

The gateline at Didcot for one has no scanner on the wide gate.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 12:55:04 »

Can I get an update please. 

Question asked of me "mobile tickets and multiple people on a single purchase"

1. Does everyone in a group travelling together need their own phone - even the children?

2. How does it work with Groupsave?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2018, 15:55:08 »

Apps display the number of tickets purchased as separate tickets, you tap left and right to swap between each ticket.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 20:54:13 »

I have just read through this entire thread for the first time. I encouraged Mrs FT, N! to use the app to save me having to spring her ticket from the TVP TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), as happens. Having read this thread, I can see that she was right to maintain her Luddite approach.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: